Newb question like big time, but how do you tell if it is a Tube amp or not a tube amp. And what's so great about tube amps. Please excuse me if there is already a thread made for this I searched but could not find one .
Tube amps are powered with vaccum tubes. Solid state amps aren't.

Tube amps sound a lot less digital than most SS amps, and the tubes preserve some of the guitar's harmonic frequencies than SS circuts clip. So essentially, they sound better 99% of the time.
you can tell if it has tubes by looking at the back of the amp. if you see tubes, well.....you know.....
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by deanfreak93
Newb question like big time, but how do you tell if it is a Tube amp or not a tube amp. And what's so great about tube amps. Please excuse me if there is already a thread made for this I searched but could not find one .

Tube amps have tubes in them, SS amps have transistors, that's all there is to it.

What's so great about tube amps? They sound good. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice solid state amps out there like Randall, Acoustic, and Line 6 (Vetta and Flextone, mind you). But tubes generally are the way to go for a professional sounding rig.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Tube amps are powered with vaccum tubes. Solid state amps aren't.

Tube amps sound a lot less digital than most SS amps, and the tubes preserve some of the guitar's harmonic frequencies than SS circuts clip. So essentially, they sound better 99% of the time.

FYI - There are analog SS amps that don't sound 'digital'. SS =/= digital.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
FYI - There are analog SS amps that don't sound 'digital'. SS =/= digital.

Oh, I know. But most SS amps nowadays are pretty digital- sounding... thought it'd be easier to explain to TS.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Oh, I know. But most SS amps nowadays are pretty digital- sounding... thought it'd be easier to explain to TS.

yup, they always are pretty much..
some not as bad..

but tubes > ss

and isn't there a sticky on tubes and ss?

this is like the freaking 4th thread on this on page 1.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

That's mostly Line 6 amps.
Quote by Rocker_94
That's mostly Line 6 amps.

As well as Behringer, Roland, Vox, Marshall MG*insert watts here*DFX, Fenders... you get the idea. Line 6-es are just the most popular.
^Not the Vetta. It sounds great.
I got some good guitars, yo.