had a few questions about scalloped fretboards. firstly, how much would it cost to have this done to my guitar? secondly, how does this affect the guitars overall sound? lastly, is it possible to do this to my guitar myself? thanks!
Move this out of the Pit, for a start.

Firstly, quite a lot.
Secondly, not a lot, but it improves control, some people say it increases, some it decreases, speed. Control is definitely improved.
Thirdly, yes, but don't screw it up.
This is in the wrong forum, but because im nice, ill help out

It can get quite expensive because it can cause a hell of a lot of damage to the guitar because of loss of strength in the neck vs string tension. It would not affect the sound at all, it would just make it easier to play fast because you wont have to apply as much pressure on the strings (Malmsteen would be ****ed if his neck wasnt scalloped). You could do it, but as i say, you should probably leave it to the pro's because it can cause a hell of a lot of damage and ruin your guitar because of the high string tension on the weekened neck.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
These

Damn beaten to it, lol w00t for google images...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Yea, you can quite ruin the neck if you try it yourself. And the reason it would (I dunno, never played one myself) improve speed is because you don't have to excercise as much force on the strings to play them. Malmsteen is indeed the class example. If you have a lot of money you can actually just buy his signature strat, that guitar comes with a scalloped fretboard standard. But keep in mind that it's a huge change and you'll need to adjust to it ppb. And I can imagine the possibility that it'll turn out to be nothing for you. In that case you'll have wasted a lot of money on scalloping ur guitar, AND you'd have to buy a new one. (I don't think it's possible to unscallope the neck without soundquality). So I'd advise you to at leat try out a guitar with a scalloped fretboard before you pump money into it.
Quote by 12Jim34
What are scalloped frets?

They are like normal frets, but they have been sanded out so they dip slightly.
Normal neck:

Scalloped Neck:

EDIT: God dammit I am always late.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
What's the point..?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
pardon me but, why are you considering investing in this if you dont know what it does/improves?

He asked about how it would affect the sound, not what it does.
Quote by floppypick
What's the point..?

The scalloped fretboard has been around for hundreds of years, most notably in Vietnamese music, where the bending of the string below the line line changes the pitch. As well as better bending, there's less to no friction between finger and fretboard, allowing you to fly around the fretboard with more ease. But it's hard to get used to.
Quote by floppypick
What's the point..?

you can play faster because you don't have to put as much pressure on the strings.

EDIT: gah, foiled again by DB.
befor you get this done or do it yourself try out a guitar that has had it done to make sure you like the way it feels.

the only plus side of it is more control with bends and vibrato.

you can do it yourself. i did it to my seven string 12-24 useing just a battery and some different grit sand paper. took me a few hours to get it all even and nice.
I have a scalloped neck, and I didn't find it hard to adjust to at all. You get much more control over bending and vibrato, and it doesn't really alter the tone or sound at all. I bought the Malmsteen strat though, because I didn't want to have to deal with sending it out to be scalloped, and all that stuff. But I enjoy it, and really didn't find it hard to get used to at all.
Quote by bimsterfls
I have a scalloped neck, and I didn't find it hard to adjust to at all. You get much more control over bending and vibrato, and it doesn't really alter the tone or sound at all. I bought the Malmsteen strat though, because I didn't want to have to deal with sending it out to be scalloped, and all that stuff. But I enjoy it, and really didn't find it hard to get used to at all.

I probably found it hard to play one because of my powerful bass fingers
Quote by Mazzakazza
These:

thats an obscene amount of scalapationism. made up words for the win

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
pardon me but, why are you considering investing in this if you dont know what it does/improves?[/quote/] because ive heard it help you play fast.