So we all know that Spider II's have a really weak distortion sound. Mine can barely cut through the mix... it just sounds like it is in the next room with the door closed. Not a matter of volume but just tonal richness.

But when recently recording from the headphone jack to my line-in, I noticed that if the speaker was bypassed the sound was actually halfway legit. Really tight.

The stock speaker is a 12" Celestion "Custom Design" (translation: cheap), and I'm wondering if it might be worth it to throw in a V30 or something, as there will be no new amp anytime soon.
Don't mean to be a gimp but...

This'll teach you for buying a Spider.

(:
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Don't mean to be a gimp but...

This'll teach you for buying a Spider.

(:
lmfao thats almost sig worth
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOG

I've never achieved anything on UG whatsoever. EVER.

Dammit, it's those damn mods.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thats the trouble with line 6 amps. Sound OK recorded with the DI but in a live situation they suck mega balls.

The reason-

To get the amps to sound like the amps they're trying to imitate, they suck out too much of the certain frequencies inherent in a guitar sound. That leaves something missing in the sound your hearing and the way the amp interacts with the guitar. Recorded you dont tend to notice as much but when you play the amp it sounds a little like theres a blanket over it.
Basically, they suck no mater what speakers you put in em.
The speakers used in modelling amps have a flat EQ rating means they are neutral and dont really add any tone on their own. It may not model very well with a regular guitar speaker in it. And would pretty much be a waste of money on a spider anyways.
The problem is probably with both the speaker and the power amp. You could try changing the speaker, but that may or may not improve the sound. If you like the modeling, a better solution might be to acquire a tube PA amp and run the spider headphone output through the PA amp. The best solution would probably be to buy a decent guitar amp and get a separate modeling pedal.