Ok so I have these 2 unmarked car speakers from a car we no longer own. I know how many ohms they are (8 BTW). But how do you find out the wattage? I'm not intending to use this for guitar but you guys are smart cookies so I thought I would ask.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
im just guessing at a voltmeter or am-meter. dont quote me on that though
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Mkay...I have a multimeter but I have no idea what to do with it to get wattage.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Touch the leads of the multimeter to the speaker leads, and keep turning the selector until it says watts after the number.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Oh well mine doesn't have a watt function. I didn't think they usually did
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
there's bound to be an equation to work out the wattage.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
P=VI where P=wattage, V=voltage and I=amperage but how could I apply that. I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question but I don't know.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
id go to a forum called ecoustics and ask ppl there, they are geniouses when it comes to car audio
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
can you get the value for the amps with the multimeter?
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Well I don't think that the speaker itself has any amperage. Thats why I'm soo cornfused by that formula.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Never heard of a wattage measurement on any multimeter. Wattage = volts x amps. But that wont work here works with appliances. And car stereo speakers arent the best option for a guitar.
Uhhh. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say it, since nobody else will.

I highly doubt that you can find a speaker's wattage rating by any means short of hooking an amp to it and cranking it until the speaker explodes...or guessing.

In short: just forget about it. They're prolly something like 100 or so anyway.
Quote by Invader Jim
Uhhh. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say it, since nobody else will.

I highly doubt that you can find a speaker's wattage rating by any means short of hooking an amp to it and cranking it until the speaker explodes...or guessing.

In short: just forget about it. They're prolly something like 100 or so anyway.

Mkay. Thanks, then I'll just assume they are about 100W. It nothing major if they blow anyway
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Yeah, that formula is useless for figuring out speaker wattages because the speaker has to be connected to an amplifier to draw any current (amps), so the formula can only tell you how many watts the speaker is using at that moment.
Ah ok, that would make sense. Thank you for enlightening me some more
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
I figured thats the way speaker companies do it is just keep giving em watts until they blow then thats the max wattage.
The amount of power a speaker can handle is determined by the gauge of voice coil wire, number of turns, diameter of voice coil, flux density of the pole magnet(s), excursion and compliance of the motor (cone and spider) etc, etc. You will not be able to calculate the rating. Use it in your application and crank the volume until it begins to sound like sh!t. Then, back it off a bit. There's the rating.
Look carefully at the speaker, and think logically. A small, light speaker won't usually handle much power.