Page 1 of 2
Skin painted bright red, heads partially shaved, arrows drawn back in the longbows and aimed square at the aircraft buzzing overhead. The gesture is unmistakable: Stay Away.

Behind the two men stands another figure, possibly a woman, her stance also seemingly defiant. Her skin painted dark, nearly black.

The apparent aggression shown by these people is quite understandable. For they are members of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes, who live in the Envira region in the thick rainforest along the Brazilian-Peruvian frontier.

Thought never to have had any contact with the outside world, everything about these people is, and hopefully will remain, a mystery.

Their extraordinary body paint, precisely what they eat (the anthropologists saw evidence of gardens from the air), how they construct their tent-like camp, their language, how their society operates - the life of these Amerindians remains a mystery.

'We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist,' said Brazilian uncontacted tribes expert José Carlos dos Reis Meirelles Junior. 'This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence.'

Meirelles, who despite once being shot in the shoulder by an arrow fired by another tribe campaigns to protect these peoples, believes this group's numbers are increasing, and pointed out how strong and healthy the people seemed.

But other uncontacted groups in the region, whose homes have been photographed from the air, are in severe danger from illegal logging in Peru and populations are being decimated.

Logging is driving uncontacted tribes over the border and could lead to conflict with the estimated five hundred uncontacted Indians already living on the Brazilian side.

'What is happening in this region [of Peru] is a monumental crime against the natural world, the tribes, the fauna and is further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world,' said Meirelles.

It is extraordinary to think that, in 2008, there remain about a hundred groups of people, scattered over the Earth, who know nothing of our world and we nothing of theirs, save a handful of brief encounters.

The uncontacted tribes, which are located in the jungles of South America, New Guinea and a remote and the beautiful and remote North Sentinel island in the Indian Ocean (the inhabitants of which have also responded to attempts at contact with extreme aggression) all have one thing in common - they want to be left alone.

And for good reason. The history of contact, between indigenous tribes and the outside world, has always been an unhappy one.

In our overcrowded world their very future hangs in the balance. Almost all of these tribes are threatened by powerful outsiders who want their land. These outsiders - loggers, miners, cattle ranchers - are often willing to kill the tribespeople to get what they want.

Even where there is no violence, the tribes can be wiped out by diseases like the common cold to which they have no resistance.

According to Miriam Ross of Survival International, which campaigns to protect the world's remaining indigenous peoples, 'These tribes represent the incredible diversity of humankind. Unless we want to condemn yet more of the earth's peoples to extinction, we must respect their choice. Any contact they have with outsiders must happen in their own time and on their own terms.'

As to who these people are, how they live their lives, what language they speak - we know nothing. 'Normally you can tell who tribes are by their language, how they wear their hair, how they adorn their bodies and so on, but in this case the photos don't allow us to get close enough to see,' says Ms Ross.

When anthropologists first overflew the area, they saw women and children in the open and no one appeared to be painted. It was only when the plane returned a few hours later that they saw these individuals covered head-to-toe in red. 'Tribes in the Amazon paint themselves for all kinds of different reasons - one of which includes when they feel threatened or are aggressive,' Ms Ross says.

'And they are almost certain to feel threatened by or aggressive towards a plane, which was where the photos were taken from. They are almost certain not to understand what the plane is - perhaps a spirit or a large bird.

'The jungle is fundamental to their lives and survival. It's their home, their source of food, the source of their culture etc. Without it, they could not exist as a people.'

Contact is usually a disaster for these remote tribespeople, who live a life probably unchanged for more than 10,000 years. Even if the loggers do not shoot them (which they often do) or force them off their land, diseases against which these isolated humans have no resistance typically wipe out half an uncontacted tribe's numbers in a year or two.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1022822/Incredible-pictures-Earths-uncontacted-tribes-firing-bows-arrows.html
That looks like a fourth grade photoshop job.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Its just the next Mel Gibson movie.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I saw this on the news and thought "OMG ITS LIEK THERE R EWOKS!!11!!!1!" and then thought about how strange it would be to try to communicate with them. And how freaked out they would be at the sight of a big flying monster appearing above them. Its really interesting that there are still tribes.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by magnus_maximus
Apparently there are at least 100 uncontaced tribes in the world, most of them in South America.

Some are in texas.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by skvvisgaar
I saw this on the news and thought "OMG ITS LIEK THERE R EWOKS!!11!!!1!" and then thought about how strange it would be to try to communicate with them. And how freaked out they would be at the sight of a big flying monster appearing above them. Its really interesting that there are still tribes.

I really hope they are not disturbed, they should be left alone.
If left undisturbed, they will eventually evolve into a higher species on their own.

Looks 90% fake to me, almost like it was staged on a movie set.
Terrorists, imo.
When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Quote by Twisted Magnum
If left undisturbed, they will eventually evolve into a higher species on their own.

Looks 90% fake to me, almost like it was staged on a movie set.

Even if it is fake, it's still a pretty cool thought that there are uncontacted tribes out there.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
What I don't get is this - do they know anything about the "outside world" such as technology or are they completely oblivious to it and they don't even know what "that thing in the sky was" (plane or helicopter) . How the hell are these people like this? Sorry but I think they need to move with the times.
Do they have any concept of ownership? And will they eventually suffer buyer's remorse?
Hahah Mel Gibson's opinions on the subject: "These uncontacted tribes are a vermin on the face of humanity. They helped the Jews kill Christ, and they should be wiped out as quickly as possible. They stand in the way of progress of taking down the rain forest. Kill them all!"

Legal disclaimer: I made that shiz up yo

EDIT: Hey guys the pics are on Google Earth!
Last edited by st.stephen at May 30, 2008,
Quote by irnbrurules
What I don't get is this - do they know anything about the "outside world" such as technology or are they completely oblivious to it and they don't even know what "that thing in the sky was" (plane or helicopter) . How the hell are these people like this? Sorry but I think they need to move with the times.

Why?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by Soul-Monger
I guess that makes two of us.

Three
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Now Mr. Government, lets not make a wild attempt at liberating these ones eh?
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
i saw this on the News i think its great

but now people will interfer with them and give them diseases and then "bye bye new tribe"
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Last edited by XCount Me InX at May 30, 2008,
Quote by irnbrurules

That was so stupid I had to re-read it.

Anyways, that's awesome.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
They could maybe drop a hidden camera in via airplane to spy on them if they wanna observe them but they shouldn't talk to them and stuff. I sometimes wish I was a jungle person like this.
Quote by irnbrurules

They are one of the few people left on this earth that earn an honest living. They have survived for how many years by doing the same thing over and over. I know id rather live like that not knowing about the technology we have now then to be like we are now facing all the new problems that we do face now.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Sabu
They could maybe drop a hidden camera in via airplane to spy on them if they wanna observe them but they shouldn't talk to them and stuff. I sometimes wish I was a jungle person like this.

i agree

because as i said..who knows what people would bring into the tribe...diseases and whatever, and imagine if you were part of the tribe, how scared you would be...youd never have seen ANYONE before...and foreigners would look so different to them
Quote by terrencemaddox
Why?

Because they are not contributing anything to society. Maybe it's because that way of living is so "alien" to me but surely all the advancements in technology would help them. In this day and age there is no point to these tribes, yes thousands of years ago they were the norm but these days they are just not needed.
Quote by st.stephen
Hahah Mel Gibson's opinions on the subject: "These uncontacted tribes are a vermin on the face of humanity. They helped the Jews kill Christ, and they should be wiped out as quickly as possible. They stand in the way of progress of taking down the rain forest. Kill them all!"

Legal disclaimer: I made that shiz up yo

EDIT: Hey guys the pics are on Google Earth!

Explain !
Quote by irnbrurules
Because they are not contributing anything to society. Maybe it's because that way of living is so "alien" to me but surely all the advancements in technology would help them. In this day and age there is no point to these tribes, yes thousands of years ago they were the norm but these days they are just not needed.

If they were to be brought into modern society, most of them would die from diseases to which they have no or little immunity. The 'lucky' ones who survived that would find themselves as outcasts, living in extreme poverty and being looked down upon by much of society. They're happier and healthier living as they are now.

Edit:I also find it appalling that you seem to judge someone's value as a person on whether or not they are "needed".
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Bubban
The 'lucky' ones who survived that would find themselves as outcasts, living in extreme poverty and being looked down upon by much of society.

Like this?
Quote by Jehuty

Like this?

No, like this

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Quote by Jehuty

Like this?

The log in that picture is placed rather comically.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by irnbrurules

You're not needed and neither am I now stop being ignorant.
wtf is that
upon discussing Shay Laren..

Originally Posted by FloyDZeD
I googled her, and now I have a boner. Thanks a lot.

and horny things we done as youngsters, this one involving involving poo..

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
Quote by irnbrurules

Why should they have to contribute to a society they are not a part of? They have formed their own and are contributing to that. It's not like they are taking anything from anyone.

Additionally, I agree with whoever pointed out the damage it would do to them if they were interfered with.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Uh. They're not 'new'. .

i ment NewS lol i missed the S off haha
Quote by Sabu
You're not needed and neither am I now stop being ignorant.

Fair enough.

I think its the fact that in 2008, there are people in the world that don't even know about any modern technology. It just fascinates me is all. Apparently they tried to throw their spears and arrows at the plane.
Page 1 of 2