So i've been wondering, I know there's dirt on the strings, but what about on the fretboard? On my guitar I've noticed built up grimey **** on the actual wood close to the metal fret bars, but not so much ON the bars themselves. Is this bad for my fretboard? And is there a safe way to remove this stuff?
"I play guitar" - Me
you can buy stuff that you use to clean the fretboard but justuseing the corner of a credit card does the job
hope thats helped a little =]
last night I took a dust rag and some lemon juice and got all the dirt off my fretboard. It looks great now.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

You can use a fretboard cleaner or conditioner like lemon oil, as well as using some 0000 steel wool. Don't use them simultaneously of course, only use one at a time.

You'll also notice over time that your frets will start to get dull. When you notice that, tape off your fretboard between each fret and apply the steel wool to the frets to polish them back up. I figured I'd mention that since I usually do both in the same session. It REALLY makes a huge difference in the smoothness of the feel of the guitar.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

uh oh man...it may not be dirt...It sounds like your guitar may be getting
attacked by mold...It doesnt mean that youre not sanitary..it just happens
in some places..

You may need to find a way to control your humidity level...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I use a small soft toothbrush to clean up close to the frets and then wipe all the wood down with a dry cloth followed by lemon oil. Let the lemon oil soak in for acouple mins then wipe off.
Dont use any retarded products on the wood dude. Just dry and soft stuff.