I have a weird problem.. ive been playing classical guitar for about 5 years and im really good at it, now i got an electric 2 month ago, and i think im getting good at it.. but ive been always sitting when playing and today decided to play while standing and i just cant do it.. i mean i can but i suck for some reason.. am i doing something wrong or i just need to get used to it?
any advice would help! thanks!
yeah, have your strap at which ever height is comfortable.

Bear in mind though you have to look cool though, so no alex turner bull ****.
yeah, just adjust the strap so the guitar is at a similar location to where it was when you were sitting.

also, there's no real reason to stand up and play, so if you're uncomfortable doing it, dont.
well it looks kinda stupid when too high so i try keeping a little lower than usual but i guess its normal to feel uncomfortable after playing sitting for 5 years and just try to get up 1 day =)
thanks guy ill keep practicing playing standing
I wear my strap when I sit so when I stand up.... BAM!
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I have a similar question about sitting/ standing while recording a song. I'm just talking about recording on a dinky digital recorder at a jam session, nothing formal. Is it more important to play a song in that respect sitting if you're more comfortable or standing...?
if you want quality, go for whichever's more comfortable

however, when you're not in the spotlight (at home practicing)
it's a good idea to practice standing up

first few days/weeks have your guitar at a comfortable height
then every now and then, lower it a bit
keep on doing this until you reach your "goal" comfortably
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Samai

^ + infinity.

That's what I've been doing and it's working great so far.
Quote by Samai

thats exactly what im gonna do thanks alot =)) i usually play about 3 hours a day and i already feel much better playing standing up, will lower a bit tomorrow =)
thanks for the help everybody!
lol yea it takes practice....I used to do it a lot, but now I never do it
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
The guitar is not a visual performance art, it's a musical instrument - therefore your primary concern is how it sounds, not how it looks

Raise your strap and practice standing up, the best height to start with is the same position the guitar would be in if you were sitting down as that's what your hands are used to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 31, 2008,
yeah, keep it at comfortable height, and after some time lower it a little, like said before. Also when you play 5 years sitting and suddenly stand up, it takes some time to get used to that feeling, i had the same problem.

I did when i practiced, play sitting for 30 minutes, then stand up for 30 minutes, etc.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
I have the same problem, I'm more comfortable sitting down, so when I stand up my wrists and neck hurt. I can't play at the same speed and I feel as though I'm re-learning everything. I would like to play standing with the guitar a little bit higher than James from Metallica.
My question is since it seems my wrists are in a different position, more straight up than tilted, which is the beter way to play.
Quote by steven seagull
The guitar is not a visual performance art, it's a musical instrument - therefore your primary concern is how it sounds, not how it looks

Raise your strap and practice standing up, the best height to start with is the same position the guitar would be in if you were sitting down as that's what your hands are used to.

+1