I'm new to the guitar world, but I've always wanted to play bass and recently my friend got a guitar. I was surprised at how fast I was picking up certian things (the chromatic scale, e and a minor) and after this I've decided to finaly fulfill my dream, but I know nothing and my friend knows nothing of bass. I have several questions and would love any tips/advice that I might need when beginning.

Right now, I'm looking for a metal/goth sound with the fast tempo of maybe punk and my two choices for my first bass is between the ESP LTD B-50 Bass Guitar and the Dean Custom Zone 4-String Bass Guitar. Any opions on the two or other reccomendations. I'm looking for something thats easy to learn on, a fair price, and can progress along with me--(if that makes any sense).

And, what sort of pedals, amps, other effects, string types should I look into.

please and thank you in advance
well if you never played before... just get a cheap fender package.. 300 for a amp and a bass. you wont need pedals if your just starting
I would definitely go with the Dean. if you end up writing original stuffs and/or performing, you will probably want a wah-wah pedal.... no recommendations on the brand however. for amps... i would probably go with something along the lines of a Crate amp.

alright then,
xgregx
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I'm finding new ways to make the same mistakes,
putting my dreams onto paper and then folding them into planes,
then I let them go because when in Rome,
I set fire to what I love the most.

Yeah this is why the FAQ was made, I wish people would read that thing, people put a lot of effort into it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
My friend the choice is simple. Go with the ESP. as far as string choice that becomes preference. Ernie Ball is good. Now as far as difference with the guitar and bass is simply four string instead of six but don't be fooled the bass is a primary rhythm machine backed with drums. You can play the same notes or alter the notes for more harmony(a 3rd or 5th) is a good start. Different techniques are a plus. Slap & pop, tapping and just pick or finger. Finger playing is a better bet from me; you can adjust technique a lot quicker. Picking is a little louder and sometimes can be faster. S&P is funk style like flea and tapping allows for a little classical advancements. The e and a minor are only for guitar there isn't a minor for the bass except the b3 which is the same for guitar but the revolution of the scale is a little different. Pick up a book called The Bass Grimoire you can pick it up at the local guitar store such as guitar center if not you can order it from Carl Fischer 62 Cooper Square New York, NY 10003. It is an awesome book. Well pedals become a crazy aspect. You can use a distortion pedal but please get the bass distortion. Wah wah good. flanger and such just be able to get the bass versions. Others may tweak your amp some.
Quote by Herotime
My friend the choice is simple. Go with the ESP. as far as string choice that becomes preference. Ernie Ball is good. Now as far as difference with the guitar and bass is simply four string instead of six but don't be fooled the bass is a primary rhythm machine backed with drums.

*sigh*

The choice is never simple.
A bass is not a 4 stringed guitar.

The e and a minor are only for guitar there isn't a minor for the bass except the b3 which is the same for guitar but the revolution of the scale is a little different.

Bass does have minors. Why? Because theory is universal for ALL instruments.
I find both of those basses hard to play, comparitively. Try many basses, and listen to the tones they can make, the feel in your hands, and the love your heart has for them.
I suggest playing some Ibanez, maybe some Peaveys and Squiers. but the FAQ is your new best friend. read it, and know all...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Read the FAQ. Good list of starter basses, and starter amps that have been tried and tested. If you don't know much, it is probably best to stick to those lists, as everything on those lists is very solid. Of course, you should try it out yourself and find the one you like feel of the most. And don't ever judge a bass on looks. It is far more important to get a bass with good feel and tone before you worry about looks.

As for amps, if it will just be private practise, the FAQ has some good budget amps. However, if you want to play with drummers, you are going to need a lot more power (around 150W), which will require a lot more money.

Did I mention that reading the FAQ would be a good idea?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sorry, I'm kind of in an excited hurry trying to decide between brands and cram in as much knowledge as I can, but I did check the FAQ afterwards.
I've thought of the bass sets, but I've noticed with my friends guitar that he purchased in a set, that the guitar has the occasional upset and his amp is always a fuss.
Thanks for the advice and yes, I will now make the faq my new friend.
Quote by Herotime
My friend the choice is simple. Go with the ESP. as far as string choice that becomes preference. Ernie Ball is good. Now as far as difference with the guitar and bass is simply four string instead of six but don't be fooled the bass is a primary rhythm machine backed with drums.

The e and a minor are only for guitar there isn't a minor for the bass except the b3 which is the same for guitar but the revolution of the scale is a little different.

you almost had me fooled but then i thought wait a minute nobody can be this stupid
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
you almost had me fooled but then i thought wait a minute nobody can be this stupid

IDK, while I am never ceased to be amazed, I am frequently unsurprised by the level of misinformation spouting from some people's mouths or fingers..

TS--I am glad you read the FAQ. As stated above, there was considerable time and effort put into that thread and it has tonnes of advice for new and more experienced players.

Read the FAQ and then make a well informed trip to your local shop. And come join us in the low end; life is very very good here!
Quote by anarkee
IDK, while I am never ceased to be amazed, I am frequently unsurprised by the level of misinformation spouting from some people's mouths or fingers..

TS--I am glad you read the FAQ. As stated above, there was considerable time and effort put into that thread and it has tonnes of advice for new and more experienced players.

Read the FAQ and then make a well informed trip to your local shop. And come join us in the low end; life is very very good here!

My fingers are far too knowledgeable to spout anything but goodness .

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
My fingers are far too knowledgeable to spout anything but goodness .

But you are Chris G., therefore I expect better from you

You are held to a much higher standard, sir!
Quote by anarkee
But you are Chris G., therefore I expect better from you

You are held to a much higher standard, sir!

Sir? Sir?

Nay, fair lady, I am but a commoner! Yeah right...

You do me a great justice to refer to me in such a good and decent light!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I always admire my British bass brethren. Plus you all have those awesome accents....

Back to the thread. TS, I noticed that you mentioned pedals. I would hold off on buying any pedals until you get your technique down a bit. Pedals can become bright shiny objects that are used by some as a substitute for good technique and can be highly distractive toys when you first start out. Learn your basics and then go shop for the pedals that fit the bill for the sound and type of music you play.
Quote by pastoolio
Sorry, I'm kind of in an excited hurry trying to decide between brands and cram in as much knowledge as I can, but I did check the FAQ afterwards.
I've thought of the bass sets, but I've noticed with my friends guitar that he purchased in a set, that the guitar has the occasional upset and his amp is always a fuss.
Thanks for the advice and yes, I will now make the faq my new friend.

pastoolio.. cheap basses are cheap ****... unless you want to cough up more money for an expensive bass and amp you might not even play a year from now.
Quote by pepsi1187
pastoolio.. cheap basses are cheap ****... unless you want to cough up more money for an expensive bass and amp you might not even play a year from now.

I started ona Squire affinity jazz and a Peavy max 128 (10W of awesomeness ). I'm still playing, and I never regret buying either of those two.

Cheap basses MAY be a pile of dog mess. They can be as good as basses twice their price. Just try them out before you buy and you should get rid of the chance of getting a bad one.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
To be honest though I gig my Ibanez GSR200 (its my only bass at the mo, usually borrow a backup bass) and I can say it may be pretty below average and annoying, but it does the job and hasn't let me down yet and its also my bass that will stay with me until I ever have to get rid of it because its helped me I learn what i know and helping me learn new things every day with it. and Pepsi what you have said makes no sense, what would be the point if a new person to bass bought a Fender American Jazz Bass and then decided bass wasn't for him he would have a £900 paper-weight. (estimate on price) So I would recommend getting something thats in the 'starter' prices cause well you can get an expensive bass in like 6 months to a years time if you start to feel a love for playing bass.

Wow, this post seemed to make sense in my head...
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at May 31, 2008,
First, stay away from effects. You don't need them now. Now, you only need a decent bass, and effects will ruin a choice, because, if you put layers of effects on your bass, everything sounds the same, and the core of the tone - the bass itself - is not important.
Check out the folowing two starter packs: Squier P bass and Ibanez GSR200 Those two are the best in terms of price/quality. Stay away from the dean i don't think they are worth the money. Strings is for me a simple choice, Rotosound. Like SHEEM sais stay away for now from effect pedals and stuff, learn the basics first.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra