i bought a epiphone les paul standard for my birthday but when i got it home like 2 weeks ago it didnt work in some things and yesterday i send it to some one to make a set up, and now that i got home like 30 mins ago, omfg i still have this problem........

everytime i do vibrato with more than one finger i dont know why when i m bending the string it stops sounding its so frustrating , the volume has to be super loud to be heard, even my old crappy ibanez works with the vibratos whats the problem?? my dad will get angry if i tell him that it still has errors help please!! what is it?
uh... what.. are you saying the pickups arn't that loud or.. bad sustain.. or when you bend a note it just stops ringing..?
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by TheHentaiNazi
uh... what.. are you saying the pickups arn't that loud or.. bad sustain.. or when you bend a note it just stops ringing..?

When i bend a note it stops ringing but for some reason its just when i do it with more than one finger
well that might just be because of bad sustain or well your not bending correctly is my guess happens with my telecaster all the time.. that is if I try those freaky Gilmour Bends like a 10b14.. I figured it was normal..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by MorbidVirus
the action on the guitar is probably too low

it was already adjusted with the perfect sizes i send it to a setup
Quote by TheHentaiNazi
well that might just be because of bad sustain or well your not bending correctly is my guess happens with my telecaster all the time.. that is if I try those freaky Gilmour Bends like a 10b14.. I figured it was normal..

its not me because with my old ibanez , a really cheap guitar, everything is fine
well I cant say I know but doing big bends as I described can muff the note.. quite alot.. hell I have to pick some of his bends twice to keep it going..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by TheHentaiNazi
well I cant say I know but doing big bends as I described can muff the note.. quite alot.. hell I have to pick some of his bends twice to keep it going..

they are not big, they are not even a half step and it then stops ringing i dont know why
maybe you are not doing it right
or the strings are really old
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
maybe you are not doing it right
or the strings are really old

i dont know how many times will i need to say this but.. again....

the guitar just got a set up, i got new strings, ernie ball super slinky, the ones that my old guitar has and works perfectly, i am doing it right.... my other guitar is wich is **** works when i do them, and this one doesnt....
I dont know but ironically I was messing around with David Gilmour Bends and just broke a string =(.. I had to use a godamn .16 because Im out of Strings for my B.. anyway Im not quite sure whats wrong..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by alexcp94
Sorry i forgot to say that it only happens when i bend "down"

you meen push the string towards the ground. or have you somehow devised a way to bend a note down in Pitch? cuz that would probobly be your problem...
Quote by Tubyboulin
you meen push the string towards the ground. or have you somehow devised a way to bend a note down in Pitch? cuz that would probobly be your problem...

yes i mean pushing the string towards the ground
Well if there isnt anything wrong with the guitar then it would point to operator error. Its guitar or technique. If its just been set up and has new strings. Then leaves as we used to say in the car business "the nut behind the wheel". Maybe when you reenforce the vibrato your pressing to hard which can kill the note. You need a bit of a light touch but not to light. If you have been strangling the neck for a while it can tear up the soft frets on a epi.
Quote by Tackleberry
Well if there isnt anything wrong with the guitar then it would point to operator error. Its guitar or technique. If its just been set up and has new strings. Then leaves as we used to say in the car business "the nut behind the wheel". Maybe when you reenforce the vibrato your pressing to hard which can kill the note. You need a bit of a light touch but not to light. If you have been strangling the neck for a while it can tear up the soft frets on a epi.

okay other thing is that i have to press like the double hard than on my old ibanez , wich is a cheap guitar, and my technique is perfect because it works on every other ugitar i have played, also im not pressing to hard, the proble mis that i have to press ultra hard when im doing it...
not bending correctly. used to happen to me too. experiment till it works.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
not bending correctly. used to happen to me too. experiment till it works.

omg .... how many times do you want me to say it¡ i bend correctly
read all the thread dude i do i t correctly, its the guitar the problem but i dont know what it has.
my ibanez wich is a cheap guitar works perfectly with it, i dont know what happens with this guitar, and it isnt bending up, is more like with the vibrato because you use both upward and downward motions, the downward motion stops the sound, and i want to know what my guitar problem is , its not technique problem, i do it perfectly in any guitar except mine.
Last edited by alexcp94 at May 30, 2008,
All the guys here are doing is trying to help, try not to get too frustrated.

You've pretty much exhausted all the possibilities, and just because it was set up, doesn't mean it was set up PERFECTLY, experiment with the action, and play it unplugged and listen/look for the string touching any higher frets when you bend.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
bending and vibrato on different guitars is different. Sometimes you can completely
mute a note without the proper technique. Just because you have the proper teknik
on another guitar..its not portatble..because they are all different..

Les Pauls are very dark and full sounding. They often catch people by surprise..that
can throw some people off. The Ibanez and the Les paul necks are also on different
ends of the spectrums of shape and size. Those two guitars are very dynamically
different. So..My advice is to practice practice practice.

An Ibanez and a Les paul are not very comparible. If you said you went from a Ibanez
to a Strat I might have a little bit of concern...

One thing though...Does your note start out full..and when u add vibrato..it sounds like
you are throwing water on a fire? Like the note dies..and u hear the string scraping against
the fretboard?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
bending and vibrato on different guitars is different. Sometimes you can completely
mute a note without the proper technique. Just because you have the proper teknik
on another guitar..its not portatble..because they are all different..

Les Pauls are very dark and full sounding. They often catch people by surprise..that
can throw some people off. The Ibanez and the Les paul necks are also on different
ends of the spectrums of shape and size. Those two guitars are very dynamically
different. So..My advice is to practice practice practice.

An Ibanez and a Les paul are not very comparible. If you said you went from a Ibanez
to a Strat I might have a little bit of concern...

One thing though...Does your note start out full..and when u add vibrato..it sounds like
you are throwing water on a fire? Like the note dies..and u hear the string scraping against
the fretboard?

dude but i played my friends les paul custom , and zakk wylde signature, and it was all natural, somethings wrong with my guitar
dude...but..did u answer the question?

Your strings may be set high...difficulty fretting..and vibrato dying out...
thats what it sounds like...

use a coin or something to measure how high your strings are on the Ibanez
and compare it to the Les paul...I think the person that set it up *perfectly*
set it up perfectly for them..

High action makes better chords..but makes soloing and solo techniques
more difficult..even fretting is harder..IF you want to play metal..or rock
and a blues slide guitar player sets up your guitar...your gonna have super
high action and thick thick strings...

do u see what im getting at? when u take the guitar to get it set up..u need
to tell them what genre u play..and what tuning you usually play in. A guitar
set up for standard cant throw your drop tunings off...(CAN not will)
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 31, 2008,
mm thanks i guess ill tell the guy that set it up that the strings are too high for me but anyway why if my sixth string is so high it still does fret buzz when i play it fretless, something that i noticed is that from the first fret to the 12 the string gets more and more apart from the frets and in my ibanez everything is the same lenght apart from the first to the 12 fret, why is it that? thanks

sorry i didnt see your question: One thing though...Does your note start out full..and when u add vibrato..it sounds like
the fretboard?
yes thats exactly what happens, i have to fret super super super hard to make it sound , and still sounds horrible, is worst in the highest strings like 1 ,2 and 3
Last edited by alexcp94 at May 31, 2008,
Its supposed to get a little further apart going from the 1st to 12th fret. Its the bow off the neck. There can be to much which will make problems. And the feel of the scale length used by epi and ibanez are very different. If the guitar was set up for standard tuning then you drop tune it will change the action. The shorter scale used is more sensative to this than the longer 25.5 scale. And another sad fact is that not all epi guitars are equal. They can be hit or miss when it comes to fret boards. If the frets are uneven then the action would have to be raised so strings wont buzz. You may need to get the frets leveled if you want a low action.