Well first off if this is the wrong forum, please tell me, I'll be glad to get rid of it.

I was just playing my guitar and it really sounded like crap. I came out to the main room of our house and asked my dad basically if he had any ideas. He said it sounds like a mind set. Mainly because conditions have to be perfect for me to play.

Well are there any ways to change this state of mind? I have tried already "change my mind" and it really didn't work all that great. I still have some bugs to work out with my picking but I can still play fairly well in perfect conditions.

Before you ask, my "perfect conditions" would be a good temperature, not tired, and all around comfortable. I'm not sure if anyone else has this "issue" or not but I don't like it.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Well if you're familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs than you know you can't effectively meet a higher need without first fulfilling a lower, more basic one.

Of course you'll be in better condition to play if you've eaten well, you're well rested, your mind is clear so on and so forth.

Everyone plays better when they're comfortable, but you'll learn more and grow if you step outside of your comfort zone.

I'm not saying starve yourself or play in a room that's sweltering hot or freezing cold.

If I understand your question correctly you're having trouble coming up with ideas?

Stay in good health as best you can and then try and change your location. Go jam at a friend's houses or even something as simple as changing the room in which you normally play.

You'll get better in more conditions if you practice in more conditions. Just do so within good reason.

Hope I understood your question and that this helps
Rock On
Quote by yearzero
Well if you're familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs than you know you can't effectively meet a higher need without first fulfilling a lower, more basic one.

:

Lol, you just took your health final too?
Change your mind change you life.

I'm a recoverying perfectionist too.

and what the Hell is perfection in your mind ?
What is your perception of what perfection is of anything ?
So bascailly it's all in your head your idealism of what is.
By doing so...you're being close minded to other possibilites.

There's nothing wrong of wanting to achive great things or
strive to master something...but there has to be balance
and truth of what is.

Even if you accomphish or master anything in life...life has curve balls.
Becuase the more I know the less i know.

Being a perfectionist..can bite you in the arss in many ways.
I guess you're not going to perform unless someone offer you a
2 billion recording and touring contract, either.lol And it starts
with little things such as the room's temperature is not right ???
How in the heck are U going to perform in an outside aerna in Dec. ??lmao
The temp is going to all wrong..
The accustics are going to change in different places you play...
what are you going to do then ??

anyway...the question is...are you in control of your mind or
is your mind in control of you ?
Think about it for a minute.

Imporversation is great excerize of mastering your mind or being in the moment.
If you think about it too much...it's too late, you'll miss a beat or loose tempo.
And no...not everything is going to be perfect...as your mind would have it.
But it's okay, it's perfectly imperfect. it is what it is.

If you do an honest assement of yourself..you'll know there's always room
for growth. You master your mind, you command your brain to command
your fingers to play the correct notes that next time.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 30, 2008,
Put the guitar down and do not play until you simply can't take it anymore and have to play. You'll remember why you picked up the instrument in the first place and you'll just enjoy it for what it is and what you've accomplished.
Quote by yearzero
That is highly, highly controversial in the psychology community.

My suggestions:
1. Listen to new music/genres
2. Revisit music you haven't heard in a long time
3. Learn theory and then use your knowledge to analyze songs
4. Stop playing for a while
5. Figure out those riffs in your head (ear training)
That is highly highly controversial in the psychology community.

Very true, I should have clarified that Maslow's hierarchy should never be employed as a means to explain human behavior in totality. Nor should it be used to explain things across the board.

Still, it fit this situation perfectly in my opinion because he could not fulfill a higher need (playing guitar) before first fulfilling a more basic need (sleep, nourishment, etc.)

It is not an exclusive rule. Many many people have subverted their basic interests in lieu of higher ones. But this is a conversation for another time.

Still my advice is....step outside your comfort zone and practice. You'd be surprised what you think of when your mind is forced to perceive in a vastly different way.
Last edited by yearzero at May 31, 2008,
In my opinion, if you can only play when you're in perfect conditions, then you can't really play. It's like in Mystery Men...the one guy can go invisible but only if no one is looking at him.

Just go outside and jam on an acoustic or play in your kitchen when you're home alone. Also, play in front of people as much as possible.
Quote by Shackman10
In my opinion, if you can only play when you're in perfect conditions, then you can't really play. It's like in Mystery Men...the one guy can go invisible but only if no one is looking at him.

Just go outside and jam on an acoustic or play in your kitchen when you're home alone. Also, play in front of people as much as possible.

I need to start doing this more. Grab a jazz book and just go out and start playing in a park or something, basically practicing in public.
Quote by guitarist10
Well first off if this is the wrong forum, please tell me, I'll be glad to get rid of it.

I was just playing my guitar and it really sounded like crap. I came out to the main room of our house and asked my dad basically if he had any ideas. He said it sounds like a mind set. Mainly because conditions have to be perfect for me to play.

Well are there any ways to change this state of mind? I have tried already "change my mind" and it really didn't work all that great. I still have some bugs to work out with my picking but I can still play fairly well in perfect conditions.

Before you ask, my "perfect conditions" would be a good temperature, not tired, and all around comfortable. I'm not sure if anyone else has this "issue" or not but I don't like it.

Well before giving suggestions, we would have to understand the problem at hand. if you could answer these questions:

1. Before "it really sounded like crap", did you think it sounded good (or not like crap)? In other words, did you like your playing before it started sounding like "crap"?

2. Is there anything different that you are doing in your playing? (such as techniques/tone/etc...)

3. Do you think you sound like "crap" every day, or was it just one day out of a few?
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)