I'm trying to move to San Jose, and was wondering what some of you live out there think the minimum amount of money I can move with is?

Keep in mind

1) I will be able to stay at my friend's place for 2 weeks, no rent, then I have to get my own place since his house is packed.
2) I've found some places near SJSU for rent for about $400-500 (some even $300), shared obviously.
3) I have a car I'm probably gonna sell for ~$1200 and then I'm gonna buy a motorcycle for the same price to save on gas.

I was thinking I could move with about $1000, what do you guys think? I hear it's expensive.... easy to get a job down there?
San Jose is an expensive place. How long are you planning on staying there? 1000 will get you food, gas, and rent for about a month, I'm guessing. Depending on your experience/availibility/number of jobs/type of job you want you may or may not be able to get one. I would say bring more than just 1000....
But SJSU's a great place. and San Jose has a f*cking amazing hockey team...WHOO SHARKS!!!
MUSIC can lift us out of depression or move us to tears- it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear.
~Oliver Sacks

"You get smaller while the world gets big
The more you know you know you don't know shit"
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm moving there PERMANENTALLY. I just wanna know how much cash I need to "make it" till I secure a job (I will go job hunting ASAP, day after I get there).

Gonna work for a year, then go back to school (gotta get residency first).

I have some experience (5 months) in Industrial factory work and lifeguard experience but that's it. Only 19.
have you factored in motorcycle insurance and utilities? i dont know about San Jose specifically, but most of california has a pretty high cost of living.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Trying to move with that much money sounds like a bad idea. I would get at least 3K in an account in case things don't go as planned.
EDIT^You don't have to pay insurance on motorcycles. Not in WA anyway...
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Zugunruhe
have you factored in motorcycle insurance and utilities? i dont know about San Jose specifically, but most of california has a pretty high cost of living.

then again you're paid more.
Well I can get a car if motorcycle insurance is that much more. I was just thinknig of the gas mileage advantage.
Quote by WNxScythe
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm moving there PERMANENTALLY. I just wanna know how much cash I need to "make it" till I secure a job (I will go job hunting ASAP, day after I get there).

Gonna work for a year, then go back to school (gotta get residency first).

I have some experience (5 months) in Industrial factory work and lifeguard experience but that's it. Only 19.

You're gonna need a bit more money than that. San Jose is REALLY expensive.
MUSIC can lift us out of depression or move us to tears- it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear.
~Oliver Sacks

"You get smaller while the world gets big
The more you know you know you don't know shit"
Quote by WNxScythe
Well I can get a car if motorcycle insurance is that much more. I was just thinknig of the gas mileage advantage.
i think it would be worth it in the long run. gas is so damn expensive. it seems like it would be a hassle for groceries and everyday stuff tho.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by WNxScythe

Like I said, motorcycle insurance is not required where I live. Might wanna call up the California DMV and ask if its required there. Of course I don't recommend not having it BUT if you need to you could probably skimp out on it until you can afford it (again assuming its not required).
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Run. Far. Im from that area. Expensive as hell, and our housing bubble hasn't popped yet. Not to mention gas is the most expensive in teh country, and buying a motorcycle isnt the safest idea with Cali drivers. The job market is down now too, so dont bank on getting something better than bagging groceries.
Quote by Vornik
Wow you just made us all look retarded for not suggesting that...

Quote by Doppleganger
Dude,

I can use Google.
Quote by casualty01
13 yr olds should not attempt to make "points". Especially with their heads firmly lodged up their fucking ass.
Swift... I don't mind bagging groceries, all I need to do is break even.

I figure my expenses will look like this:

-Gas $250/month
-Rent + utilties $400-500/month
-Food $200/month
-Insurance $75/month

So that's about $1000/month.

I've gotten several jobs in a small town here in the South east (about 20,000 people) so do you think I can get a job in a city of a million?? I'm going to go job hunting AS SOON AS I GET THERE. Also don't people make more over there? (minimum wage here is $5.85, I've heard it's like $7.50 over there)

So my question stands, can $1000 tide me over for the week or so till I find a job?

Anywhere near San Jose that's significantly cheaper?
Last edited by WNxScythe at May 31, 2008,
i was just there last weekend, and i discovered something interesting: the taliban runs the airport!

now this is an entirely racist joke, and really just a comment on my short experience in san jose. if you're in LAX or something of the sort, and you see people wearing turbans, one can't help but think......negatively, about said person. however, i was in the san jose airport, and there were many employees wearing turbans. however, they were very friendly polite people. anybody know why middle eastern people are so populated in san jose?

i was only transferring flights in san jose, so i really can't tell you anything useful... but overall, the bay area and california in general is quite expensive, as previously mentioned.

My mind is going. I can feel it.