Right now I have a Fender G-Dec Junior. It's an alright amp, but I was hoping to improve on it, so I was shopping around for some low priced amps, and the Epiphone Valve Junior caught my attention. It's a half-stack consisting of the Valve Junior Head and the the Valve Junior 1X12 Extension Cab.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=epiphone+valve&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go
In case you don't want to check the link, it costs $250. If I got it, I'd probably pair it with a DS-1 distortion pedal to get some rock out of it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DS-1-Distortion-Pedal-100086787-i1124466.gc

Would this be a good improvement over the G-Dec Junior? I know it's not as good as a nice tube amp, but I still want a cheap improvement over the G-Dec. Also, would it work well with the DS-1?
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
For another $50 you can get a blackheart little giant, which has some eq and overdrives without a pedal, for a classic rock vibe. Or if you want metal, i'm sure a ds-1 would work, well. They're supposed to take pedals very well.

Never tried a G-Dec Junior, but youtube has comparisons between blackheart and valve junior to see which sounds better for you, cause I know my local gc doesn't have blackhearts in stock, or even know that they exist.

Free bump for you too, so people who have more experience can help
The valve junior is a lovely little tube amp, i own a version 2.

I think it would be great for you, though test it out at guitar centre first. The version 1 and 2 come stock with resistors that cut out almost 75% of the gain! So mine would barely overdrive until i modded it. So just make sure that you can get some really nice overdrive out of it first.

The DS-1 isnt a very good pedal stock, though it can be modded to be kickass, but that takes alot of work and electronics know-how. Im not very good in the pedal department, but if you're looking for real rock-overdrive theres not much further to go than a tube screamer =]
Quote by Mlrc
Would this be a good improvement over the G-Dec Junior? I know it's not as good as a nice tube amp,

The EPi Valve JR IS a tube amp.. just a 5 watt one.

Like the guy above me said check out the Blackheart too. Very rockish on its own, although the Epi is a good amp too.
Quote by stangconv
The EPi Valve JR IS a tube amp.. just a 5 watt one.

Like the guy above me said check out the Blackheart too. Very rockish on its own, although the Epi is a good amp too.

I mean a good tube amp as in one of the more expensive ones ;P.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Expensive doesnt always mean good.

THe Epi Vjr and the Blackheart's have really good sound to them. It sounds just as good (a little better TBH) then my tube amp that cost 4 times as much.
Would the Blackheart Killer Ant head and Killer Cab be a good alternative?
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Well for Tube Amps, home practice especially, your gonna want a Lower Wattage amp. In that situation, the Valve Juniour, Blackheart, and Killer Ant Probobly (i dont know anything about the amp) Will sound better than a $3000 100W marshall Head at that volume.
The killer ant is a 1/2 watt tube amp.. Wont be very loud, and I never played it but I am confident to say that it will sound great. I own the little giant, and I have talked to the guys at Blackheart about their products, and they are very proud of them and it shows in the LG.
Quote by stangconv
The killer ant is a 1/2 watt tube amp.. Wont be very loud, and I never played it but I am confident to say that it will sound great. I own the little giant, and I have talked to the guys at Blackheart about their products, and they are very proud of them and it shows in the LG.

aye, half a watt might be a Bit underkill tube wise. And thats something i thought id never say...
I mean the Ant combined with the Killer Cab as a half stack.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
^^ keep in mind that half a watt is the rating at which it retains it's 'clean'ness.

when it starts overdriving it'll be louder than half a watt obviously. i didn't learn until a couple months ago that amps' wattages are rated at the highest volume they stay clean.

for a lotta yall you prolly 'already knew that duh' but i myself didn't know and once again, UG has provided me with more useful information.

learn somethin new everyday.

the killer ant sounds like a cool idea. the valve junior seems to be more cleaner and not as rock n roll stock as the blackheart. i know that my blackheart right now will get Guns N' Roses dirty when dimed. In fact it's somewhere right there between Rage Against the Machine and GnR. and that's BEFORE swapping the tubes!!! can't wait to get my JJ EL84s in the mail....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
... the valve junior seems to be more cleaner and not as rock n roll stock as the blackheart...

Bull! I have 2 and they sound every bit as Rock & Roll as the Blackheart. I'd rate them higher.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I thought I saw a video on youtube that said that the Killer Ant uses 2 12ax7's. One for the power stage, one for the preamp.
I wonder how that would sound.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've got the Vj (picked it over the Blackheart). For the extra $50 you can get a better EQ then whats in the Blackheart. Got mine plugged into a POD XTL. There isn't anything it can't do. Sounds better then any SS I've ever plugged into.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^^ keep in mind that half a watt is the rating at which it retains it's 'clean'ness.

when it starts overdriving it'll be louder than half a watt obviously. i didn't learn until a couple months ago that amps' wattages are rated at the highest volume they stay clean.

for a lotta yall you prolly 'already knew that duh' but i myself didn't know and once again, UG has provided me with more useful information.

learn somethin new everyday.

the killer ant sounds like a cool idea. the valve junior seems to be more cleaner and not as rock n roll stock as the blackheart. i know that my blackheart right now will get Guns N' Roses dirty when dimed. In fact it's somewhere right there between Rage Against the Machine and GnR. and that's BEFORE swapping the tubes!!! can't wait to get my JJ EL84s in the mail....

I really hate the wave of misinformation that seems to be spreading around UG...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by darkarbiter7
I thought I saw a video on youtube that said that the Killer Ant uses 2 12ax7's. One for the power stage, one for the preamp.
I wonder how that would sound.
That sounds like it would most likely not be half a watt...

One 12AX7 triode under usual conditions produces about 1 watt? So unless biased very cold or using a very interesting arrangement such as a self-split power section, then it's probably closer to 2w...

Although, i'm starting to see modding scope for this amp already! It looks like it'll be a single ender, so you could potentially mod it to take a tube that sounds much better in the power section like an ECC99, or add an octal socket to make it use a 6SN7 or something. Could be fun....

Has it even been released yet, though?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well, if one is in the preamp section, then that's just acting as a voltage amplifier, thus nothing directly to do with the power output.

Then if the max power able to be supplied by the other 12AX7 is 1w then a power rating of 0.5w is correct.

Due to these sums

V(rms) = V(peak) / SQRT2
I(rms) = I(peak) / SQRT2

P=VI

P(peak) = V(peak) * I(peak)

now, to get the mean power (it's not actually rms, as will be shown below)

P(mean) = (V(peak)/SQRT2) * (I(peak)/SQRT2)

now, if you simplify this down...

P(mean) = P(peak)/2

oh, wait for it

the max power from the tube is what? 1w and amp output ratings are done as mean power output so.....

1w/2 = 0.5w

:O

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
so mcwoot, are you saying that an amps wattage isn't based off of the point at which it stays clean? b/c if not then there's a lotta 'misinformation' spreading all over the internet, not just UG.

i respect any backed up argument of course so if you have the amp smarts to explain then i'd appreciate it, i'm gonna google it again and see if i can find one of the links i read it on. that way you know i didn't just make it up ha
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_amplifier#Distortion_and_volume

Power-tube distortion

Power-tube distortion is required for amp sounds in some genres. In a standard master-volume guitar amp, as the amp's final or master volume is increased, more power tube distortion is produced. This is slow-onset distortion. As such a tube (or valve) power amp rated at 50 watts produces 50 clean watts or, when pushed harder, twice as many distorted watts.

alrite i know this is Wiki and people can go and change information but it's not the only place i've looked.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
so mcwoot, are you saying that an amps wattage isn't based off of the point at which it stays clean? b/c if not then there's a lotta 'misinformation' spreading all over the internet, not just UG.

i respect any backed up argument of course so if you have the amp smarts to explain then i'd appreciate it, i'm gonna google it again and see if i can find one of the links i read it on. that way you know i didn't just make it up ha

Well, it is, indeed based off the point at which the signal stays clean, however the way that it's being explained is wrong.

After the signal begins to break up there is NEGLIGIBLE increase in peak power dissipation. The whole idea of clipping is that no more power can be supplied, thus cutting off the extremes of the signal. Thus, distortion/overdrive whatever you wanna call it. I'm going to refer to it as distortion, which is the correct electronic term for it.

Now, we look at the signal before it's been clipped and we do a nice integration between limits of pi and 0 of y=sinx to find out an arbitrary area under a signal curve.

Then, we go to the complete other extreme and do exactly the same, but with a square wave of the same period. You will find that the area under the square wave will be exactly pi units^2.

HOWEVER

The area under the sine curve is going to be, guess what? pi/SQRT2 units^2

A square wave can be seen as an infinitely overdriven sine wave, therefore, yes, more MEAN power is being dissipated, however, the peak power remains (almost) exactly the same. This results in NO PHYSICAL VOLUME INCREASE as during these clipped regions, the speaker cone isn't moving.

he reason it might be percieved louder is that the ear picks up, up to about 3rd order harmonics as a volume increase, as opposed to distortion of the signal.

Crazy stuff...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by MrCarrot
That sounds like it would most likely not be half a watt...

One 12AX7 triode under usual conditions produces about 1 watt? So unless biased very cold or using a very interesting arrangement such as a self-split power section, then it's probably closer to 2w...

Although, i'm starting to see modding scope for this amp already! It looks like it'll be a single ender, so you could potentially mod it to take a tube that sounds much better in the power section like an ECC99, or add an octal socket to make it use a 6SN7 or something. Could be fun....

Has it even been released yet, though?

Ask the guy on youtube yourself if you want to.
The guy got a pre release version which he was testing for blackheart.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Reading through that, unless you have a background in maths & electronics, you might not understand a lot of it...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
alrite mcwoot, i was actually gonna chime in right now and tell ya that maybe it was only PERCEIVED louder but you beat me to it!! lol.

in all honesty i couldn't hardly keep up with what you were saying, i don't have the specific knowledge in this area as you do. More or less know what my ears tell me and what i can find out from others. Formulas aren't too kind to my memory. but i'll keep you remembered as a knowledgeable person when it comes to amps and the way they work.

but i do get what you're saying in general. i don't claim to be an amp genious, but really i doubt the TS is gonna be worse off thinking the amp DOES get a lil louder when dirty or whether it only SOUNDS like it.

or maybe he will....maybe it'll throw him into a parallel universe!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
uh i'm good at math, not great not bad, just good. i have VERY basic understanding of electronics, not the level you have obviously.

so yea the lack of my electronical know how is hurtin here~~
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I just got the Epiphone Valve Jr with the extension cab. To get tube saturation at lower pressure levels, I also ordered a Weber Mass with Tone Stack...

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

I will get complete tube saturation at reasonable volume levels and can use headphones in place of my cab to boot (thanks Ted for the suggestion and cable!).

Here is a clip of the Valve Jr with a Weber Mini Mass - Tube saturated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bui1-vDTlo&feature=related

Here is the same rig with a crying tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5dzFwbfS8&feature=related

Same rig with no OD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-sRQlHCzI&feature=related

This is a side-by-side comparison with the Blackheart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpnNoLRl2s

^--- That last video of the comparison is what made up my mind.

Hope this helps someone

Chris
Quote by mcw00t
Well, it is, indeed based off the point at which the signal stays clean, however the way that it's being explained is wrong.

After the signal begins to break up there is NEGLIGIBLE increase in peak power dissipation. The whole idea of clipping is that no more power can be supplied, thus cutting off the extremes of the signal. Thus, distortion/overdrive whatever you wanna call it. I'm going to refer to it as distortion, which is the correct electronic term for it.

Now, we look at the signal before it's been clipped and we do a nice integration between limits of pi and 0 of y=sinx to find out an arbitrary area under a signal curve.

Then, we go to the complete other extreme and do exactly the same, but with a square wave of the same period. You will find that the area under the square wave will be exactly pi units^2.

HOWEVER

A square wave can be seen as an infinitely overdriven sine wave, therefore, yes, more MEAN power is being dissipated, however, the peak power remains (almost) exactly the same. This results in NO PHYSICAL VOLUME INCREASE as during these clipped regions, the speaker cone isn't moving.

he reason it might be percieved louder is that the ear picks up, up to about 3rd order harmonics as a volume increase, as opposed to distortion of the signal.

Crazy stuff...

*walks out of thread*
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'll try to explain in simpler terms.

\/ - 'sine' wave
|_| - square wave

which one would hold more?

the square wave, of course.

Now think of what they can hold as the power dissipated.

However, they are both 1 line tall - this height is how loud they are.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
gotcha. i could prolly go back and read through it again and not be as stumbled now lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH

I've probably skipped through a few key elements where I've written it presuming people have electronics know-how, but if you got any questions regarding this or other various electronicsy things, just leave me a comment/message or something & I'll try to help out.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t

HOWEVER

Crazy stuff...

Scary thing is, I have no electronics background and I was actually able to understand most of what you said, even before I read your simpler description, which confirmed that I interpreted what you said correctly. How this helps me decide between a Blackheart or the Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack I have no clue, but I guess it's always good to have a new lesson every day XD.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
i say blackheart still.

now there's a comparison vid on youtube that demos them both. To be 'fair' the guy leaves teh blackheart's EQ controls all at 12 o clock so that right there kinda mislead a lotta people to think the Valve junior automatically sounds better. the valve junior has only a volume control, so it has a lot less to interfere with the true original tone.

leaving the EQ flat across the board gave the blackheart a kinda bassier and middier sound, and the valve jr. sounded much more crunchy. he did this to be fair tho since the valve jr. was so simple. i can tell you right now that if you adjust the EQ on the blackheart it can get just as crunchy. it is in fact the same amp so the sounds will be just about the same.

it's just all about features really. minimal tone difference btw the two. they are both really great amps and you should prolly decide by whether or not you want to have a 3/5 watt switch and onboard EQ. looks-wise i like the blackheart MUCH more b/c it looks both vintage and 'evil'ish. beware that my post is somewhat biased as i own the blackheart. neither one is really 'better' just one has a few more convenient features that a lotta valve jr. owners end up modding theirs to have. think it over bro
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Tubyboulin
Well for Tube Amps, home practice especially, your gonna want a Lower Wattage amp. In that situation, the Valve Juniour, Blackheart, and Killer Ant Probobly (i dont know anything about the amp) Will sound better than a $3000 100W marshall Head at that volume.

i disagree, my engl sounds better than my valve junior at low volumes for anything remotely modern-sounding with a decent amount of overdrive...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Even the Killer Ant is gonna be bloody loud through the right cab. My VJr cab's speaker is 99db efficiency @ 1 watt. Cut the power in half, and you're still well in excess of 90db, which is the level we're required to wear earplugs at work due to prolonged exposure causing hearing loss.

And Dave_Mc, I believe ENGL has a reputation for sounding nearly as good at low volumes as it does at high volumes. Not that that's a bad thing...
What I would do, is get a Blackheart Little Giant, and keep the G-Dec as a drum machine to jam alongside it.
Quote by greggybhoy
What I would do, is get a Blackheart Little Giant, and keep the G-Dec as a drum machine to jam alongside it.

That's actually not a bad idea, using the G-Dec as a drum machine. I had actually never though of that. I'm going to go try out the 2 different half-stacks next time I get the chance though, I'm sort of leaning more towards a half stack than the Little Giant.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree, my engl sounds better than my valve junior at low volumes for anything remotely modern-sounding with a decent amount of overdrive...
And my Laney sounds better for anything anything-sounding at low volumes. For me, the 5watters are a niche idea; they work well for people wanting a small tube amp for cleans and at a BIG push some kind of light OD, but the tone can get ratty quickly and they still are very very loud.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by The Atomic Ass
And Dave_Mc, I believe ENGL has a reputation for sounding nearly as good at low volumes as it does at high volumes. Not that that's a bad thing...

i dunno about nearly as good, but you're right, they do have a reputation for sounding remarkably good at low volume. i've played lots of amps which sound decent at low volumes too, though.

Quote by MrCarrot
And my Laney sounds better for anything anything-sounding at low volumes. For me, the 5watters are a niche idea; they work well for people wanting a small tube amp for cleans and at a BIG push some kind of light OD, but the tone can get ratty quickly and they still are very very loud.

haha, yeah. to me, the epi VJ is great fun because i can have a more vintage feeling (no master volume so you can do things the old-fashioned way) amp which i can overdrive without needing earplugs in, for not much cash. It's just about the right volume to sound like it's filling my living room, without completely deafening me, but while sounding loud enough to feel like you're rocking out too.

But you're right, it's very much a niche product. I've always said, it's great if it's not your only amp and/or you already have a decent selection of good pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?