Happened to see this on the news last night, that people are arguing whether we are in a recession right now or not.

What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind that the US has seen i think 7 recessions since 1980, all around only 8 months, but also up to 16 months was the longest. Maybe with rising oil prices this could be the longest recession (if indeed we are in a recession) we've seen in about 50 years.

Anyways, thats just my thought.
So Recession or no?
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
Yeah, its a word that the government always avoids using because it creates chaos among citizens but it's definitely happening.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I think so.
Plus, all the debt we're in from the Iraq war will have to be paid sometime.

So basically, we're pretty much ****ed.
sales of monocles and opera glasses have dropped almost 60%! its a recession!
I have no opinion on this matter.
yes and very slowly were spiraling down into a depression, we can still stop it, but it will lead to a depression if we dont do something.
I thought this said 'UG in a recession', even when I knew it would be referring to the US

Yea though, the US is pretty much heading up a world recession right now I think, and it's looking more and more optimistic to deny it. Bush'll probably find a way even when they release the statistics.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Alot of this recession mumbo jumbo is self-fufiling phophecy. People start saying the word and it starts to happen.
actually were in a inflation which is worse then recession, i think
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
Quote by Eric 666
yes and very slowly were spiraling down into a depression, we can still stop it, but it will lead to a depression if we dont do something.

This is why i think this upcoming election is more important than usual. I used to be against Obama, but the more i think about heading towards a depression, and his whole campaign of "change" i think that may be the way out of it. I was planning on voting McCain, but now I'm all ears for how Obama plans to change things.
Quote by WaggyPlank
Michigan is for sure. I don't knwo about the other states. Our economy is just so bad right now. I've been looking for a job all year and I'm still unemployed.
Yeah I think it will stop though when Bush gets out of office it will end cause him and Dick Chenay both own oil companies thats why they are so high, they are taking oil from texas putting it on a boat and taking to international waters bringing it back and selling it for foregin oil prices according to a friend of ours in texas
Quote by zerohero

inflation is an effect of a recession
Quote by WaggyPlank
Quote by zerohero

Inflation and recessions go hand in hand.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by freedoms_stain
Without the odd minor recession now and then capitalism in any form could not have survived this long.

Economic cycle, bitches.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by therealtater
Yeah I think it will stop though when Bush gets out of office it will end cause him and Dick Chenay both own oil companies thats why they are so high, they are taking oil from texas putting it on a boat and taking to international waters bringing it back and selling it for foregin oil prices according to a friend of ours in texas

Really? Seriously? You're gonna say that? That could possibly be the most insane conspiracy theory I've ever heard, including the 9/11 ones, and the "Paul is dead, Guys! John Lennon Said so!" theory.
Quote by RiseAgainst
This is why i think this upcoming election is more important than usual. I used to be against Obama, but the more i think about heading towards a depression, and his whole campaign of "change" i think that may be the way out of it. I was planning on voting McCain, but now I'm all ears for how Obama plans to change things.

GOBama! Not trying to make this a political thread. And yes we are in what can be defined as a recession,or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year.
Last edited by ThePeacefrog at May 30, 2008,
Quote by ThePeacefrog
GOBama! Not trying to make this a political thread, but John Mccain knows nothing of economics. And yes we are in what can be defined as a recession, when the quarter losses are down or something along those lines.

A recession is 6 months(2 quarters) of economic contraction, as marked by a decline in real GDP.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
A recession is 6 months(2 quarters) of economic contraction, as marked by a decline in real GDP.

Look at edit
I believe we are in a recession now, as do many economists. We will continue to be in a recession because we are spending billions of dollars in ANOTHER country. We're pissing our GDP away! Start investing that money back in this country and you'll see recovery, or at least stabilization.