So hear me out. Its not a which amp should I get, but more of a what size amp should I get.

Im headed off to college this fall and not sure what to do. I want to be able to play an amp in my dorm w/o disturbing those around me, but there is also the possibility that I might start gigging if I was to get into a band. So my question is, should I go for a small amp for my dorm (like 5 watts tube), or buy a bigger amp (tube) and be able to gig but piss off the neighbors. Im kinda tight on cash so I dont really have the option to do both.

Thanks
Bigger tube amp with headphone jack = Perfection

you could gig and practice and no one would hear you practicing
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Although it's fun to crank tube amps, it's possible to just turn down to keep from being to loud. That's what i do with my 50 watt tube amp in the dorm.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by LP51122
Bigger tube amp with headphone jack = Perfection

you could gig and practice and no one would hear you practicing

And how many of those amps are around? I don't know of any.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You could look into getting a giggable tube amp and using it with a power attenuator so you can get proper cranked sounds at low volume.
You could go with something inbetween. Get like a 15w tube amp. Should be ok to gig with and wont be too loud. Or if youy want headroom, get a 30-50watt amp and an attenuator. Or just turn it down.
thanks guys ill have to look into that. Ive seen some amps with an attenuator kinda thing built in. Although its a only a hybrid, I think the valvetronix 50ADVT has a power level control on the back. Is that the same kinda idea?
Dude, you're going to piss your neighbors off regardless. I bought the 15 watt spider 3 (it was just for practice don't judge) for this past year, and I had the volume on maybe 2 or 3 and the RA still knocked on my door about 5 or 6 times b/c ppl were complaining, and I was in an all guys dorm too so god knows what it would have been like if it was coed (chicks don't dig metal for some reason, but who needs em haha).

That being said, I'd just go for a gig worthy tube amp and get some headphones. Headphones are going to be the only thing keeping you from pissing people off in a dorm. Believe me I know first hand.
^^Those are essentially the same thing as attenuators, yes. Although, looking for something like that will greatly limit your range of amps to consider. They do make some amps with a switch on the back that changes the amount of watts you're using. Those may be worth looking at if they fit your genre. I think mesa makes a few? Maybe someone else can point you to the specific models.

EDIT: And people hearing you play guitar in the dorm isn't all bad. Actually, i never got a single complaint, but me and my friend became known as the guys that play guitar around the dorm.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Dude, you're going to piss your neighbors off regardless. I bought the 15 watt spider 3 (it was just for practice don't judge)

hey im not judging, ive got a line 6 spider II right now and thats why Im switching.

i frigged up the quote thing
Last edited by Ekim423 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^^Those are essentially the same thing as attenuators, yes. Although, looking for something like that will greatly limit your range of amps to consider. They do make some amps with a switch on the back that changes the amount of watts you're using. Those may be worth looking at if they fit your genre. I think mesa makes a few? Maybe someone else can point you to the specific models.

EDIT: And people hearing you play guitar in the dorm isn't all bad. Actually, i never got a single complaint, but me and my friend became known as the guys that play guitar around the dorm.

yeah i figured there wouldnt be too many complaints. The dorm im in only houses like 50 people so I wont have to worry too much I think. Im just trying to be courteous.
^Oh, i understand. I wanted a small amp, too, for the dorm. I had my heart set on a Fender Champion 600 to accompany my big amp, but i bought an RMC Picture Wah instead.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Dude, you're going to piss your neighbors off regardless. I bought the 15 watt spider 3 (it was just for practice don't judge)
Quote by zhunt1130

hey im not judging, ive got a line 6 spider II right now and thats why Im switching.

Yea man had I known people were going to be such tight wads, I would have just saved the 100 bucks, and plugged my headphones into my other amp. But like I said, just go for a gigable tube amp with a headphone jack, you'd be killing both birds with one stone. MAKE SURE THE HEADPHONE JACK CUTS THE SOUND FROM THE SPEAKER. Some amps just pump out the signal to both the headphones and the speaker, so just a fair warning.
Quote by zhunt1130

Yea man had I known people were going to be such tight wads, I would have just saved the 100 bucks, and plugged my headphones into my other amp. But like I said, just go for a gigable tube amp with a headphone jack, you'd be killing both birds with one stone. MAKE SURE THE HEADPHONE JACK CUTS THE SOUND FROM THE SPEAKER. Some amps just pump out the signal to both the headphones and the speaker, so just a fair warning.

K thanks for the heads up.
Again, I haven't heard of any giggable tube amp that has a headphone out. The only tube amp I know of that has a headphone out is the Ibanez Valbee (I think it's either that or the Peavey Royal 8, not sure which one) and that one's 5 watts.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Yeah, if you limit yourself to tube amps with headphone jacks, then you'll have VERY little selection. I can't think of one off the top of my head that i KNOW has a headphone input.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86