i just got a crate v30 head from a guy and plugged it into the power in of my peavey revolution 112 amp and nothing, no sound at all. the tubes in the amp are lighting up but i cant get any sound at all out of the amp, wtf?
I assume the Peavey Revolution 112 is a speaker cab, not an actual amp right? The V30 is a tube amp, and requires an impedance load, not to mention it would likely fry any kind of line input on another amp once you turn it up. Since everything is lighting up, I assume you haven't blown a fuse.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Have you taken the amp off standby?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
the peavey amp has a power amp in input on the back of it to bypass its own amp, i didnt put it into the guitar input, whats an impedence load? i hope i didnt by a destroyed amp
The poweramp input is most likely the input for the effects loop. The peavey shouldnt be used as a cab.

Hopefully you haven't destroyed anything but get a real gab as soon as you can.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
From the info I can find on the peavey it has an effects loop. And Im pretty sure running the speaker output into the effects return will cause some pretty serious problems. The tubes will be orange if its on standby, blue if its ready to go. Find a cab of some kind and a SPEAKER cable to connect the head to the cab with not a guitar cable. Then go from there. If you turn on a tube amp with out a speaker load it will be a destroyed amp as you put it.
Quote by drunkass
the peavey amp has a power amp in input on the back of it to bypass its own amp, i didnt put it into the guitar input, whats an impedence load? i hope i didnt by a destroyed amp

that power amp in is for bypassing the preamp, not the poweramp. It's meant to take a line level signal from another preamp, rack fx, etc..., and amplify it using the Peavey's poweramp. You sent it a powered signal that is meant to power speakers. An impedance load comes from having speakers connected to the tube amp. Speakers are rated in Ohms for their impedance. Tube amps need a specific impedance load, never run a tube amp without speakers connected. You could have fried the output transformer on your Crate, or fried the return input on your Peavey. Could also be a fuse somewhere on the Peavey maybe? Alot of things could go wrong in that scenario.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
really? i just looked at peavey amp i didnt stick it in the efx loop. theres a hole that says pwr amp in, thats what i put it in. the tubes were orange when standby was on i didnt look at them when standyby was off. i dont really wanna try it again incase its bad for it
i cant take any digital pics i guess i'll take it into shop tomorrow and have it checked out and see whats the problem, hope i didnt fry anything
Dont try it again.

Power tubes are meant to take line level signals and amplify them up to speaker level. If your taking a speaker level signal and putting it into power tubes you will most likely blow the power amp of the peavey or a fuse.

Buy a speaker cabinet and speaker cable.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13