Ive played for about a year, and now I'd like to almost exclusively play a fretless.
I understand that it is difficult to get intonation correct and such, but I think id like to learn to play a fretless in order to improve my bass playing.

so what do we all think?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

dud,e who cares what other ppl think. hell, u should have just boughten to start out with and not given a hoot bout what every1 thinks bout u
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
idk... ive only played since febish and i cant get it down... but gl man
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Never too early. Just gives you more time to perfect your technique and build up your ear.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
No, I just wanted to know if going fretless this early is a practical choice.
I dont really care what people think about me, what are you on about?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

cool, time to save my moneyz again for a nice pretty new fretless
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

it'll be hard- keep your fretted around for gigs and suchlike. but you can do it, I bet. Just try and try.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Here's my two cents or pence. For jazz, I play the Fretless exclusively, but do keep your fretted bass around. Its much easier to sort out more difficult pieces on the fretted and then move to the fretless.

Fretless basses will train your musical ear. Intonation is difficult even on lined ones; but you will train your muscle memory and your ear like no ones business. And they sound cool as hell. To quote Jaco, there's no speed bumps, so your playing can take on a fluidity that's difficult on a fretted bass.

Go for it. I got mine after playing for about 18 months and never regret the choice.
I'm thinking of buying a dirt cheap bass (the last time i checked the local pawn shop they had an encore for £25) and de fretting it, 'cos i'm cheap, and i don't know if i'll like a fretless.
Quote by soccerguy6494
i have no clue what a fretless is

LOL QUE?
Its never too early. I switched to fretless after 8 months and never went back [partially b/c i defretted my only bass, heh]

It took a while to get the feel for it, but if you practice constantly or join a band/jam group, you'll be fine

I have yet to fully take advantage of the fretlessness though...

edit: ehh, my situation might not be so analogous. I had played an instrument for years before that, so my intonation may have been developed before i switched
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Last edited by InvaderRen at May 31, 2008,
I started on a borrowed fretted Fender but I couldn't play it without banging the strings againsts all these metal strips protruding from the fingerboard. So the first bass I bought for myself was a fretless and playing fretted became for me the more advanced level.

As said here before, this experience is shared by all those who started on upright acoustics before playing bass guitars. Stanley Clarke is one notable example. If his classical background didn't help him a lot to master the fretted bass guitar, it obviously didn't hinder him either.
o this is a BASS thread... thats why i have no clue what you are talking about.
god im slow...
Yes--this is the bass forum after all.

But there have been fretless guitars oh guitar man. Frank Zappa and Adrian Belew have both played some type of fretless guitar in their respective careers. Yes, there are rarer than their bass brethern, but fretless guitars do exist.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Upright anyone? For hundreds of years, you either played fretless, or didn't play. Go for it, if you like the idea and sound of a fretless.

Viol de Gamba much? Yep, just went there.

It's never too early to play fretless. The question is, do you have the drive and determination it takes to make sure your fretless playing is as good as it should be?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Viol de Gamba much? Yep, just went there.

It's never too early to play fretless. The question is, do you have the drive and determination it takes to make sure your fretless playing is as good as it should be?

You know what man, FUCK YOU!!!

Go for it if you have the drive.
*looks at spelling, agrees with soccerguy6494*
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I once wore that shirt and it got me so many bitches my penis got a rash from gropage.