I played the VK 112 at GC today, and i really liked it, i'm planning on buying it. My question is, which one would be better?

I would use it mostly for practice, and i want to be able to get a really good metal tone. Thanks.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
I played the VK 112 at GC today, and i really liked it, i'm planning on buying it. My question is, which one would be better?

I would use it mostly for practice, and i want to be able to get a really good metal tone. Thanks.

Go with the 212 it has more options and you need the headroom the extra wattage will give you for metal...
the 112 is ****ing LOUD. retards buy 100 watt tube amps and then never turn them up past 1 while they practice
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
the 112 is ****ing LOUD. retards buy 100 watt tube amps and then never turn them up past 1 while they practice

Thats amazing i could swear a 100 watt amp cranked is 135 db so if we divide that in half, that would put a 50 watt amp at 67.5db by your logic.. But that cant be right a vacuum cleaner is right at 70db and i know a 50 watt amp is 32 times as loud as that... Ohhh yea that is wrong, because the difference from 50 watts and 100 watts is only 3db ya idiot

Also 100 watts down to 50 makes a huge difference when it comes to playing metal and that same retard as you call them will be keeping the volume at 1 on a 50 watt or a 100 watt amp because there pretty much the same volume... And since you have a 50 watt coming on the way what does that make yourself....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 30, 2008,
2x12"
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thats amazing i could swear a 100 watt amp cranked is 135 db so if we divide that in half, that would put a 50 watt amp at 67.5db by your logic.. But that cant be right a vacuum cleaner is right at 70db and i know a 50 watt amp is 32 times as loud as that... Ohhh yea that is wrong, because the difference from 50 watts and 100 watts is only 3db ya idiot

Also 100 watts down to 50 makes a huge difference when it comes to playing metal and that same retard as you call them will be keeping the volume at 1 on a 50 watt or a 100 watt amp because there pretty much the same volume... And since you have a 50 watt coming on the way what does that make yourself....

for rizzle, mostly about headroom between 50 and 100W, or even 100W to 150W. 3db is just about the lowest threshold where a human can still tell a volume difference.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
So, would the 212 be worth the extra money? I am on a budget btw, and it would be for bedroom practice.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
The 50w can easily deal hearing damage and play metal. If you're on a budget, there's barely any reason to get the 212, the extra features aren't all that incredible.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
During band practice I had the 100watt head at 12 oclock.

If this is JUST for bedroom, you'll be fine with the 1x12. If its for bedroom and ANYTHING else, I'd recommend the 2x12.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Finally someone who isn't like 100 WATTS IS OVERKILL. I've probably spent about 2 hours with the VK b/c it's going to be my next amp when I get the money and I can tell you there's not much difference at all in volume. I had both the 112 and the head on about 3 and there wasn't any difference that I could tell.

To answer the TS question, both the 112 and 212 would be fine for bedroom practice. If you can save up the little extras money, I'd go with the 212 b/c I think the sound is more full.
I doubt you would need an 100 watt tube amp. I barely turn my 30 watt up past 3 and it is pretty loud. For most band situations, 5-7 is the most I need. And since you are just practicing, you probably don't need the 100 watt.
guys like to generalize that 100W could never be needed or useful, no matter what situation. Most of the guys that say that, don't play a lot of metal as their main musical preference it seems. Maybe they may play some if in the mood, but it isn't the genre they bought their gear for.

The drummers hit harder, mainly use a double bass, many times there are 2 guitar players, the bass players usually have crazy wattage amps, and the singers scream their asses off. 100W isn't even that much louder than a 30W, especially if saturating the power tubes isn't a priority, which is the case with most modern metal. doubling to 60W is +3dB, now doubing to 120W is another +3dB. So going from a 30W amp to a 120W amp is a whopping 6dB. If you are NEVER going to play out with people, and it's going to sit forever in a bedroom where you can't turn it up, yeah, a 1x12 fits better. Otherwise, I prefer 2x12.

Personally, I would get a good quality 2x12, and the head version. The best metal tones I've heard out of a VK have come from the 100W head and a seperate cab. A 2x12 closed back cab just sounds a little fuller and tighter than a 1x12 IMO. A quality cab is always useful to have too, even if you decide to move on from the head later down the road.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
guys like to generalize that 100W could never be needed or useful, no matter what situation. Most of the guys that say that, don't play a lot of metal as their main musical preference it seems. Maybe they may play some if in the mood, but it isn't the genre they bought their gear for.

The drummers hit harder, mainly use a double bass, many times there are 2 guitar players, the bass players usually have crazy wattage amps, and the singers scream their asses off. 100W isn't even that much louder than a 30W, especially if saturating the power tubes isn't a priority, which is the case with most modern metal. doubling to 60W is +3dB, now doubing to 120W is another +3dB. So going from a 30W amp to a 120W amp is a whopping 6dB. If you are NEVER going to play out with people, and it's going to sit forever in a bedroom where you can't turn it up, yeah, a 1x12 fits better. Otherwise, I prefer 2x12.

Personally, I would get a good quality 2x12, and the head version. The best metal tones I've heard out of a VK have come from the 100W head and a seperate cab. A 2x12 closed back cab just sounds a little fuller and tighter than a 1x12 IMO. A quality cab is always useful to have too, even if you decide to move on from the head later down the road.

That's exactly what I'm going. Probably pick up a tubescreamer too.