ok, here's the deal.

i want to get an ibanez with a FR-style trem. the only thing i can't handle about these trems happens when I play a bass note like the low E and start playing on the upper strings over it. when i bend on the upper strings, the trem bridge dips and the E string goes flat, which sounds assworthy.

now, i love the fr-style trem system, and i'd rather have it than not.

so i was thinking, is there a way to lock it down so it acts as a fixed bridge? i'm looking for something which i could use to lock it down, play for a bit and then unlock it and play with the bar.
The cheap, easy, and effective way is to put chunks of wood on either side of the trem block to stop it from moving.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
The cheap, easy, and effective way is to put chunks of wood on either side of the trem block to stop it from moving.

+1

Or a 9V battery.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hipshot-Tremsetter?sku=360830

^^^this

it won't completely stop the bridge from bending but it should reduce the bending of the bridge enough for you to not notice an obvious out of tune E string
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by NakedInTheRain
so i was thinking, is there a way to lock it down so it acts as a fixed bridge? i'm looking for something which i could use to lock it down, play for a bit and then unlock it and play with the bar.

+1 on the Tremol-No. I have it and it's very useful, and fairly simple to lock/unlock. probably wont be able to do it while playing though.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by NakedInTheRain
ok, here's the deal.

i want to get an ibanez with a FR-style trem. the only thing i can't handle about these trems happens when I play a bass note like the low E and start playing on the upper strings over it. when i bend on the upper strings, the trem bridge dips and the E string goes flat, which sounds assworthy.

now, i love the fr-style trem system, and i'd rather have it than not.

^ Word. Thats how I'd do it if you don't use the bar at all.

You could always add springs to the setup as well. It'll still allow use of the arm (Albeit it will be significantly tighter) and will minimize trem movement quite a bit, thereby aiding your situation.

When I went from 3 to 4 springs on my M-II, the difference was night and day. I imagine 5 springs would be perfect.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"