I have the valveking 100W head and i replaced the 3 preamp tubes with JJs (except one slot already had a JJ instead of Electro-harmonix) and pulled the two outside ruby power tubes and replaced the remaining ones with JJs and made sure my ohms was half of what my cabinet is. But when i turn it on it doesn't work, the tubes don't even light up. i was told that if there is no sound then to turn the amp off immediately so i did and hopefully didn't wreck anything. So how am i supposed to fix this?
I would suggest putting it back to normal and seeing if it turns on and if you want less wattage then get an attenuator and do it the right way instead of messing up the dynamics of your amp. Also another tip is use the texture control on the back of the amp if you want a more bluesy overdriven powertube sound.. Might save you $200-$300 bucks...
yeah, like IbanezPsycho said, put the power tubes back in, and diagnose from there. You replaced the preamp tubes, so I would start there by swapping in a known working one from your old set into each position, one at a time. Even if the ones you put in are new, they can be bad from the vendor. It's a very old technology when it really comes down to it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, like IbanezPsycho said, put the power tubes back in, and diagnose from there. You replaced the preamp tubes, so I would start there by swapping in a known working one from your old set into each position, one at a time. Even if the ones you put in are new, they can be bad from the vendor. It's a very old technology when it really comes down to it.

Yup, thats why i make it a point to only get tubes from my boutique tube guy that tests all his tubes before he sells them...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, thats why i make it a point to only get tubes from my boutique tube guy that tests all his tubes before he sells them...

yeah, sometimes it costs a little more for the select dealers, but there are times when it really pays off. I'll never make a major purchase through one of the big chain stores ever again. A good dealer that knows you, can do all kinds of things to help you out if they really want to keep your business. I've seen this with everything from tubes, to guitars, to amps. Not even just deals, but if there are any problems, or you are unsatisfied. I deal with a guy at Rebelamps for any kind of amp I get that isn't dealer direct or used. He's hooked me up for things that no large chain store would even consider. Night and day difference in service.

problem with tubes though, they can test fine, and just a little bounce from shipping can jar something that never had a strong connection. I've had tubes last me a few weeks of constant playing, then just die out of the blue, or last a couple minutes and fizzle. I wish they still made them to military specs, but that would probably cost an arm and a leg nowadays. Buying NOS is a game I don't even want to venture into.

BTW, does the VK have an HT fuse in addition to the mains fuse? If it does, I would look at the HT fuse if the amp is powered on, with the indicator lit, but the tubes aren't lighting up.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 30, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
yeah, sometimes it costs a little more for the select dealers, but there are times when it really pays off. I'll never make a major purchase through one of the big chain stores ever again. A good dealer that knows you, can do all kinds of things to help you out if they really want to keep your business. I've seen this with everything from tubes, to guitars, to amps. Not even just deals, but if there are any problems, or you are unsatisfied. I deal with a guy at Rebelamps for any kind of amp I get that isn't dealer direct or used. He's hooked me up for things that no large chain store would even consider. Night and day difference in service.

problem with tubes though, they can test fine, and just a little bounce from shipping can jar something that never had a strong connection. I've had tubes last me a few weeks of constant playing, then just die out of the blue, or last a couple minutes and fizzle. I wish they still made them to military specs, but that would probably cost an arm and a leg nowadays. Buying NOS is a game I don't even want to venture into.

You are 100% correct sir.... All of my best deals and service have been getting to know people in small dealers. Also the best part is i get talked out of buying alot of stuff lol. The guy i deal with knows me pretty good and can tell when i have that look in my eye (aka impulse buy) he will stop me and even say why the hell do you want that you know your gonna be back in here in a week returning it or selling it. Also he hides stuff in back for me that he knows i will like so i always have dibs on the good used stuff. Ill get a call out of the blue hey remember like 5 months ago your were talking about that pedal or amp your wanted. I got one in its sitting in the back for ya. Its good very good to know people.

Yup, tubes have there quirks. The good thing is my tube guy is only about 5 minutes from the house and if one goes bad i know he would hook me up. Ohh yea and the guy i go to has the good stuff, tons of NOS tubes but there like $100+ a piece lol. Funny story when i first went to him i was like yea i need some good tubes and he is like ok here ya go. Im like ummmm $100 bucks a piece i'm looking for something like JJ's and he was like ohhh you want them ****in cheap a$$ tubes. I started laughing i cant knock the guy he builds boutique amps and repairs vintage amps. So i just agreed said yea the cheap a$$ tubes will work fine not looking for anything special... But the guy was cool, got three new tested JJ 12ax7's for $15 bucks for all three. But part of that pricing was he knew i was SS amp repair guy and he only knows tube amp repair. So we exchanged numbers and now i have a good tube amp source and he has a good SS amp source. Sharing knowledge is what keeps the world turnin...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 31, 2008,
haha, very nice man! It's win win to have a situation like that.
amp clips
amp vids