I was watching some footage of a Hendrix concert where Jimi lit his guitar on fire, It got me to thinking i wanna try that. I got a galactic purple squire, I'm gonna take the electronics off of it and light it on fire. Has anyone tried this and do they have pics of the guitar?
I've never tried this, but that would be awesome if you could get it to work again after you lit it on fire.
The cool way to do it IMO, is to put alcohol on it, and light it. The alcohol will burn off, and it will just leave awesome burn marks but not actually kill the finish. Or if you do it twice, it'll burn to the wood but not kill it still.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You're not Hendrix. You aren't standing in front of an entire wall of blaring Marshalls. It's been done to the point of parody.

It won't have the same effect. At all.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by PSN:PUREMETAL
I know i'm not Hendrix but i thought it would be a fun idea.

I know, but I'm just saying.

Save the guitar until the time is right.

If you ever get the opportunity to run it through a wall of cranked Marshalls, to a crowd of a few thousand (at least) - then do it.

Otherwise, it's just a waste of a guitar.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
You're not Hendrix. You aren't standing in front of an entire wall of blaring Marshalls. It's been done to the point of parody.

It won't have the same effect. At all.

Truth truth and more truth.

It worked for Hendrix because he did it at the end of an awesome show in front of a wall of Marshalls and thousands of people.

So unless you pull off a godly show, and are at an arena filled with people chanting your name, it'll just be dumb.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I never saw the appeal of burning your guitar.

I smashed one cheap, old guitar that was beyond the point of repair and would have cost an insane amount to replace all the faulty hardware etc but that's it.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
If you wana do it, do it. Have a video camera tho. Don't listen to the "poser" talk on here.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Make sure to post it on youtube, but play an extremely sh!tty improvised solo or butchered version of a simple song while acting like you're a guitar God.

Then light in on fire.
your gonna have to put gas on it or something first... I don't think guitars burn all that easy
No, don't. Give me the guitar, please.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
give the guitar to some kids who cant afford one
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
i say, play in front of a bunch of people, some real awesome music, and light your hair on fire instead

copying someone is just lame
Speaking of Hendrix, I heard Eric Clapton (or somebody else famous but pretty sure Clapton) the guitar he burned at Woodstock and kept it. Can anybody confirm this?
Hendrix did it because he was spazzed out on acid and also trying to top The Who after they trashed their stuff..that's why it was cool.

If you do it you'll just be a retard.

Quote by guitarnoobie
Speaking of Hendrix, I heard Eric Clapton (or somebody else famous but pretty sure Clapton) the guitar he burned at Woodstock and kept it. Can anybody confirm this?

Hendrix burned his guitar at Monterey, not Woodstock
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Somebody on here did it before. If you burn it a couple of times with alcohol or lighter fluid like suggested, you can get some cool burn marks. If you then put a clear coat on it, it can look awesome. Unique too. Would be a cool basis for a Frankenstrat.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay