imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Couldn't find a bop thread, but it may be buried in the back of the forum.

Anyway, I am a huge fan of bepop and hard bop. It's definitely my favorite form of Jazz.

So lets discuss Bop. I am feeling some Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers lately.
aetherspear
UG's producer/DJ
1,277 IQ
Jazz Messengers are great, but I liked them more when they had Horace Silver with them. I also have some great albums with Bird and Diz.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Dizzy was the Godfather of Bop. I absolutely love the afro cuban stuff, like Manteca and Cubano Bop.
the_axis
where am i?
631 IQ
i just started getting into jazz a couple weeks ago and bebop and hard bop are by far my favorite styles too. buying Art Blakey's Moanin' album is right up there on my to do list
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
^I need to get that album. I think that The Black Saint and The Sinner lady is my favorite hard bop composition.
the_axis
where am i?
631 IQ
^I need to get that album
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Yeah, that album is epic. I love jazz albums like that, where each track builds of the last one.
the_axis
where am i?
631 IQ
yeah, and i've always wanted to listen to Epitaph
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
andy_woodhead
If you have to ask...
73 IQ
I love the fiery energy that good bebop has, and the way cats like Bird could just get up and play their ass off every night is something else.

I must say, listening to the alternate takes on Moanin' ruined the album slightly for me. They play the same solos as good as note-for-note, and then hearing the first take again makes it suddenly seem less fresh and energetic when they're doing it all by rote, as it were. That being said, Art is awesome. Plays like an absolute mother****er throughout that album, especially on the Drum Thunder Suite.
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
I've been enjoying Freddie Hubbard and Eric Dolphy lately. Dolphy especially is blowing my mind! Mingus too, that cat could put together some great groups.
chea_man
no more record deal
1,689 IQ
i have really gotten into charlie parker this year, in fact i even performed one of his some for my final exam. (im a guitar performance major).
and just recently my new favorite guitar player (for now haha) is john scofield.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
demonofthenight
UG Spammer
976 IQ
Quote by imgooley
Dizzy was the Godfather of Bop. I absolutely love the afro cuban stuff, like Manteca and Cubano Bop.
Personally I like Dizzy more than Charlie Parker, but Charlie Parker was the father of bop.

I really like Coltrane's bop years. Actually I like coltrane full stop.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
^There would be no Charlie Parker if there was no Dizzy. The first couple of tracks that Charlie played bop on were Salt Peanuts and A Night in Tunisia.

Charlie Parker, imo, only had that virtuoso talent within the context of improvising, and impact as far as the number of copycats.

Now Dizzy just kept writing and composing over the years, making his music better and better.
Slash 602
doesn't really like slash
338 IQ
Charlie Parker...gah... part of me loves him for his godly improvisational skill, but the other half can't help but think that his music is so... mastrabatory.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
I think that I'm starting to like Hard Bop more than Bebop. More rootsy, ya know?

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is awesome
Joey-Tribiani
yes
1,743 IQ
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the definition of "bop"? how do you know how to classify something into bop?
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Bop is primarily post war Jazz, developed mainly in New York. It uses (at times) complex chord structures, and relies heavily on phrases built off of the flatted fifth. In that sense, it is heavily blues influenced.

Bebop is in a way lighter than Hard Bop. Hard Bop was created as a reaction to West Coast Jazz, which copied a lot of the style of Bebop, but without the same edge. Hard Bop is also a very ethnic style of jazz, more so than most others. It has a bluesier feel to it, and is often more bass laden (see: Charles Mingus). Every group is different though.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Me and a friend (lead guitarist) made a garage/punk song using a hard bop drum track today

Who are some Bop artists other than Monk, Parker, Miles, Dizzy Gillespie, Coltrane and Mingus?
Last edited by ze monsta at Jun 9, 2008,
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Sonny Rollins, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, to name a few.
Caramello Ruell
215 IQ
thankgod there is a bop thread. i love bird, he is my favourite bopper no doubt (probably because i play alto sax :P)

their complex rhythm changes and light bobby feel of the music just lifts up the spirits

my favoureit piece is definitely donna lee. also this year for my hsc (in 2 days) i am performing a bird piece and yes, i am improvising in it =D
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077