I have three things I want. An amp, a chorus pedal, and a metal distortion pedal.

Amp: Right now, I have a Fender Frontman half stack (bleh) and a Anniversary American Fender(God). What I want to be able to play is anything from John mayer, to Pearl Jam, to Pantera and Metallica. So I need something EXTREME versatile. Something that can handle a lot of distortion and have a very clean and smooth clean channel. It would also be nice if it came with a reverb effect, but keep in mind it's not necessary. My budget is probably about $1000 to $1500. Maybe a bit more for stretching room.

Chorus: I want something good. Simple as that. What's the best? My budget it probably about $120. Stretching room is given.

Distortion: I NEED this pedal to be able to throw bricks and elderly women walking down the street in their walkers. I need it to blast the young into a new stage of METAL!! So, ya, what's something good around 100 bucks?

Thanks guys.

Peace.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Get a used fender deville or deluxe, and get a randall RG50TC.

Not sure on chorus

And, screw the metal disto pedal. Get a tubescreamer or bad monkey to coax some extra distortion out of the RG50TC.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Amp: Marshall jmc 800
Chorus- exh small clone
Distorsion: amp
the Peavey JSX is the most versatile amp there is. end of.

as for the pedals, you absolutely cannot go wrong with anything that has Boss written on it.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Randall RM50. that's pretty much ur whole budget. $1400 before taxes so get one used.

Get a 'blackface' module for the clean channel and possibly a 'Modern' for the dirty channel. adjusting the gain knob on the 'modern' channel gives a LOT of tonal possibilities. It was super hi gain for me so i switched to the 'Recto' module which is a tad less gainy and more articulate and clear. Even with that one i could get great classic rock tones, not as true to the marshall sound as my blackheart though! lol but that's b/c it's an american voiced amp. it is the most versatile amp out there IMO. there's so many modules to choose from, look up this amp seriously.

add an OD pedal and you can easily get heavier than anyone even wants to hear. but w/o an overdrive you should be able to get death metal no joke. just make sure you crank for some saturation!

after the amp you won't even care too much about effects pedals for a while....but i'm not suggesting a chorus as i've only played a few.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Amp: B-52 AT-100, one of the most versatile amps I've ever played(that doesn't use modules). Sounds great too.
Chorus: I dont use choruse, so I dont know.
Distortion: Just use the amps distortion, and spend the money on a noise gate. Or if you rally need more distortion than what the amp has, get a Tubescreamer to push more out of the amp.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at May 30, 2008,
Distortion pedal? for metal? METAL MUFF!

people say a ton of crazy things about this (good things, but crazy things) I'll tell you this, it's very adjustable, pretty intense (maybe not for some shred heads, but it's got top boost for that) and it sucks 9 volts like a frat boy shotgunning brewskis, but I'm MORE than satisfied with it, and the reviews I've read say more or less the same thing.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Amp: Peavey 6505
Chorus: BOSS Chorus Ensemble (Not the SUPER CHORUS)
Metal: BOSS Metal Zone
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
Alright, I've looked at all of these amps and right now, the winner looks like the Fender Hot Rod + RG50TC. But a quick question. You said i can get more distortion out of the Randall, but how. I'm kinda new to getting way into Amps and how they work but is it like a half stack? can I just use a connector cable between the two and us it like that?
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
They're both combo amps.
You can use an ABY box to switch between amps. You can use your fender speaker cab if you wanted to, also.
And the way to get some more dirt to your tone, is to get an overdrive and have the level high and the drive low, running into an already overdriven amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
get something like a mesa mark whatever. youll get really sweet fendery cleans, and then it will get pretty dirty. put an OD over top of it and it should push it anywhere you need it to go.

or the new EVH 5150. (not the peavey) this one is designed by Eddie and Fender. ist channel, fender clean, second channel, marshall like crunch, and then third channel is the heavy channel.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by danielrobbyshor

as for the pedals, you absolutely cannot go wrong with anything that has Boss written on it.

Wrong.

Quote by schecterman1990

EXTRA DOUBLE WRONG!

Ok not all boss pedals suck but the metalzone is a tone sucking piece of crap. I got one and i regret it. Infact the piece of junk broke yesterday.
Quote by schecterman1990

no, just no
the 6505 is a good amp, but it sure as hell isnt that versatile, but you can get decent cleans and crunch.
The metal zone just sucks total ass, huge waste of 20 bucks for me. The distortion on my old spider II is better.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by danielrobbyshor

wrong, boss did create the metal zone.
What about a jcm900 half stack or combo if you wanted to? Stack is like $1400, while the combo can go for like 600-700.
Quote by chea_man

or the new EVH 5150. (not the peavey) this one is designed by Eddie and Fender. ist channel, fender clean, second channel, marshall like crunch, and then third channel is the heavy channel.

Agreed. The EVH 5150 III is all he'll need.

The third channel alone is allready heavier then a Krank Krankenstein (my previous amp), how much heavier does he need it

TS, if you search around, you can find a used head for about $1600
Last edited by babyboo666 at May 31, 2008,
No Distortion Pedal.

AMp Peavey 5150 with a TS9 Overdrive. Thats the Answer for gain and distortion. I recomend the Electro Harmonix Small Clone. Way better than any boss chorus
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Why are people recommending him a 5150/6505, didn't you read what he said? He wants good cleans and good distortion.
^ yeah, i'd look into something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea i hear the mark IVs are amazingly versatile.

so do this, test out BOTH the mark IV AND the randall MTS.

i know for a fact that randall MTS line is sick as hell so try em out.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Wow. This is full of fail. Some people have some good suggestions but still recommend a pedal. I would just get a Mesa Mark IV combo used for $1400 and then get a Small Clone for chorus. Sounds like a winner to me.

This sounds like a good idea to me, but I'd like to also bring up the idea of using getting a used TC electronics SCF, if a new one is too expensive. That's the best sounding chorus I've heard.

But I really must stress, the TC sounds fantastic.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
carvin v3
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Wow. This is full of fail. Some people have some good suggestions but still recommend a pedal. I would just get a Mesa Mark IV combo used for $1400 and then get a Small Clone for chorus. Sounds like a winner to me.

A winner indeed. That way you get your amp and pedal within your ammp budget, and if you're still in need of an overdrive you have some more maneuvering room.
Recommended threads
Cubase problem
slash111391
Last post:
by Crazy Drummer69
Reverb pedal
polish-stalion
Last post:
by That_Pink_Queen
Effects loop?
forty6and2
Last post: