Page 1 of 2
The music tastes of U.S. President George W. Bush have come under scrutiny after an aide revealed the playlist of his new iPod player.

The portable digital device, given to Bush by his daughters Jenna and Barbara last July, contains much country music, but also songs by Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and the Knack.

The MP3 player, which can store up to 10,000 songs, only contains about 250, according to the New York Times, which first reported the story.

"iPod One," as the player has been dubbed, is used by Bush while he pedals around his Texas ranch on a mountain bike, presidential media adviser Mark McKinnon told the newspaper.

The task of downloading the music falls to the 58-year-old president's personal aide, Blake Gottesman, who buys individual songs and albums from the iTunes music store.

Not every track is "on-message." The playlist -- regarded by many as a mirror to the soul -- includes musicians who campaigned against Bush, such as John Fogerty. Also on the iPod is the 1979 song "My Sharona" by the Knack, about a man pursuing a much younger woman.

One of that song's lyrics, "Such a dirty mind. Always get it up for the touch of the younger kind," prompted Spin magazine editor Dave Itzkoff to comment: "This wouldn't be consistent with Bush's image as protector of conservative values."

Bush, who quit drinking after his 40th birthday, also listens to recovering alcoholic George Jones, a country singer who sings about heartbreak and drinking. Joe Levy, deputy editor of Rolling Stone magazine, said this indicated "a little bit of taste for hard core and honky-tonk."

McKinnon advised though against too much analysis of the playlist. "The fact is that any president who would limit themselves to pro-establishment musicians would have a pretty slim collection.

"No one should psychoanalyze the song selection. It's music to get over the next hill," he told the New York Times.

The playlist does reveal a rather narrow range of babyboomer tunes. Writing in the London Times, Caitlin Moran noted: "No black artists, no gay artists, no world music, only one woman, no genre less than 25 years old, and no Beatles."

Levy agreed, telling the New York Times: "What we're talking about is a lot of great artists from the '60s and '70s and more modern artists who sound like great artists from the '60s and '70s.

"This is basically boomer rock 'n' roll and more recent music out of Nashville made for boomers. It's safe, it's reliable, it's loving. What I mean to say is, it's feel-good music. The Sex Pistols it's not."

------------------------------------

Does anyone else think that this is just an excuse to cause trouble? I mean come on, what does it matter what kind of music he listens to? They'd prolly execute him if he was listening to Children of Bodom.
Only 250 songs?!

I demand a recount!

Quote by Ney York Times
The playlist does reveal a rather narrow range of babyboomer tunes. Writing in the London Times, Caitlin Moran noted: "No black artists, no gay artists, no world music, only one woman, no genre less than 25 years old, and no Beatles."

Levy agreed, telling the New York Times: "What we're talking about is a lot of great artists from the '60s and '70s and more modern artists who sound like great artists from the '60s and '70s.

"This is basically boomer rock 'n' roll and more recent music out of Nashville made for boomers. It's safe, it's reliable, it's loving. What I mean to say is, it's feel-good music. The Sex Pistols it's not."

Lulz.

But really, if he listened to COB I would be impressed.
Last edited by Tire Me. at May 30, 2008,
If I was prez and people looked at my I-Pod playlist, I would be impeached the next mourning
LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST!
if bush listened to Children of Bodom, that would be badass.
Gear for now:
Ibanez RG370DX
Line 6 Spider III 30
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by rocker138
Quote by frozen_soul
umm stank puss? im not a man of "blackspeak" if someone would care to elaborate lol

Her vajayjay don't smell okaykay
Quote by Tire Me.
Only 250 songs?!

I demand a recount!

haha very good.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I'm glad this kind of thing is what's in the news these days.

Does anyone know what Kim Jong-il's favorite song to play on Rock Band is, by any chance?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
I'm glad this kind of thing is what's in the news these days.

Does anyone know what Kim Jong-il's favorite song to play on Rock Band is, by any chance?

"Master of Puppets".

*Du dum tshhh*
i don't care. i would rather know what tampon company women prefer the most.
I'm glad I read this....
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Can Bush even spell iPod?
Proud Member of UG's Smartasses
PM Temporary to join.

"This isn't Vietnam, it's bowling! There are rules!" - Walter

"Steve Holt is a bastard!" - Will Arnet as G.O.B.
Is this really that big of a deal?
Man.
That's stupid as hell.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Caitlin moran and levvy who ever these people are can **** off, they're obviously wankers.

And who cares what the hell he listens to, it hardly makes a difference.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Yeah no I don't think they should look too much into it. It's like, Christ just because he's high up, every little thing he does and listens to comes under speculation. I don't really agree with Bush's platform, but this is utter bull****, and just proves how much the media has decayed like a rotten child's tooth after Halloween.

I mean damn, I listen to Wolf Parade and Weezer, oh no I'm a hypocrite and I can't rule my country
Quote by meh!
Caitlin moran and levvy who ever these people are can **** off, they're obviously wankers.

And who cares what the hell he listens to, it hardly makes a difference.

you know i hear obama likes hip hop and stuff. i don't think i want some no good rap listener in my white house.
Quote by bendystraw
you know i hear obama likes hip hop and stuff. i don't think i want some no good rap listener in my white house.

Does he really? It doesn't matter but that sure would be stereotypical.

Also I always imagined him as more of a soul black person than a hip-hop black person.
Quote by neverspoiled
They'd prolly execute him if he was listening to Children of Bodom.

well it wouldnt surprise me too much if he did....he ssems to have a horrible taste in music...
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
who cares what he listens to?

that comment was totally unnecessary. anyone think that maybe its not the type of music he likes?
I don't think I've ever seen more pretentious overanalysis.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What the hell is the point of analyzing his playlist? God damn.

Maybe he just likes the music? Sadly, there will be people who will see this in the media and start to believe that Bush is secretly a pedophile because one of his songs deals with the theme.
Who gives a flying **** what he listens to?
With a name like Yakult, it has to be good. Vote Yakult.

Member #11 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie
Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp

Roland Deschain of UG's Heroes and Villains Clubs.
It's just music though. Just because I listen to I Cum Blood everyday doesn't mean that I do. I mean seriously.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
lol, i wanna be president, just so i can play my ipod, through massive speakers out the window of the oval office.

Nothing says smart and politically professional like All Shall Perish echoing through D.C.
This article is pretty dumb, I mean seriously, just because he has "my sharona" he isnt supporting moral values? This article actually made me defend Bush, that's how bad it was.
"Who fu*ckin cares?"
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
I wasn't sure if this article was a joke or not. I was waiting for the obvious *just kidding* clincher. Weird.
Quote by Shredder XXX
lol, i wanna be president, just so i can play my ipod, through massive speakers out the window of the oval office.

Nothing says smart and politically professional like All Shall Perish echoing through D.C.

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
isnt this a good thing? hes far too important a person to be spending his time making a music playlist.
I have no opinion on this matter.
"And no Beatles"
Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

I love that they pointed that out.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
I'm not a huge of fan of Bush, but we seriously need to write up a list of every album he should put on that iPod. 250 songs? Seriously? Come on Dubya, you can do better than that.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I don't get what the big deal is because clearly this other dude is choosing the songs so wtf
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Page 1 of 2