title says it. everything i write dissappoints me and makes me mad cause i don't like. i dunno whats up but I'm close to giving up writing as a whole. please help me!
dude just let it flow. it dosen't matter you can change stuff later. keep a spiral and carry it with you everywhere. i dont consider myself a lyrical genius (or even anything close to that) and i rewrite or edit almost anything i write, so dont feel bad because everyone is their own worst critic.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Even still, it will never seam "amazing" to yourself, just post it up on U.G., honestly if your embarrassed create a new account to put em up, people can tell you what they think of it, surprisingly, a lot of people usually like the stuff you think is not "as good".
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Yeah, often times people have a tendency to dislike their own work.
keep it and keep going

I always go back and find stuff and tweak it to make it better
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
I find it helps to draw insparation from something. Not another song or band, but how you feel. You have to write how feel, not just what people want to hear.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
You sound like you need direction. Figure out what you specifically WANT to write. You may be saying to yourself, "I want to write something that is beautiful and clever" or something. But what does that really mean? Not much.

Instead, decide just what your goal is. I'm not in your head so I don't know what you like, but YOU know what you want to hear. Tell yourself "I want to write a song about a stranger that I can't stop thinking about" or "I want to write a song about how it feels to be ignored and abused" or "I want to write a song about how we should unite the world with love and music" or whatever else you feel like doing. If you DON'T know what you want to hear, then... decide. But having to decide what you want to do shouldn't stop you from doing anything at all.
You're your own biggest critict- I think everyone is like that (I know I am).

The best thing to do is to get another opinion on a piece before trashing it- after all, Noel Gallagher hates the song Wonderwall...
all u can do is write as much as you possibly can. it takes practice just like guitar does. just write, write, write, and itll start to sound good. if you havent been doing it very long, dont expect it to be good right away. you could have a natural talent for writing, but you have to work hard to bring it out.

also, being your own biggest critic is good because you can tell if the song is good or not better than anyone else. which is good cuz ur the one writing it lol
Quote by ttreat31
Keep writing. The more you do it, the better you get.

I totally agree!!!! And also try listening more to music in the particular genre you are writing, not to copy, but to pinpoint the aspects you really like that you feel are missing from your own writing....
If its lyrics then try write lyrics to other songs that you like or have never heard
And if its guitar just around with barre chords to start with.
C4C
Latest song: Fading Silhouettes

Quote by goest
You raped someone with a knife, didn't you?
Keep writing, if you hate what you write, try and edit it. Go on google and look for tips. Every songwriter hates what they write at first, i'm sure. Heck, I hate more then half the stuff i write.
This is a pretty common thing actually. About a year ago I started writing and I thought the same thing, I thought all my lyrics sucked. The thing you have to understand is that lyrics can't be set in stone after the first few drafts. It may seem crap at first but through revision and enough devoted time you can really break through and write something to be proud of.
Quote by Milesthedude
You're your own biggest critict- I think everyone is like that (I know I am).

The best thing to do is to get another opinion on a piece before trashing it- after all, Noel Gallagher hates the song Wonderwall...

Slash hates/hated "Sweet Child of Mine", if you need another example :P
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DSchmitty
Even still, it will never seam "amazing" to yourself, just post it up on U.G., honestly if your embarrassed create a new account to put em up, people can tell you what they think of it, surprisingly, a lot of people usually like the stuff you think is not "as good".

do not listen to this. DO NOT create a new account, it will get you banned. have multiple accounts on UG is against the rules.

my advice, although i am not the best person to be giving advice on writing, is to just keep at it. write something every day. revise it yourself. have someone you respect as a writer revise it.
just because you don't like your writing doesn't mean other people don't, i have a couple songs written that i really didn't like but i showed them to bout 3 people and they all loved, you probly have the same problem i do, i hate all my stuff i write but according to other people its not half bad.
Read, watch, listen.

Read other song lyrics, read books, watch films that have depth, listen to music you like or know is good. You'll get a feel of how other people put to words their thoughts or descriptions.

Find something that stirs emotion inside you, and then write about it. See what comes out.
Quote by DSchmitty

This is true if i dont like my songs i send them to friends get honest opinions and find out whats good and what should be changed
Just keep writing. I was in the same situation you were in a few months ago. As in everything in life, the more time you spend doing something, the better you get at it.
Currently in blues mode.
A good trick to write stuff that you think sounds good is to think of something catchy in your head, and then transcribe it to the guitar. That gives a good starting point to work from.

And don't be afraid to rip off other people. This is fine as long as your writing songs for yourself. Obviously you're not going to want to use it with a band or whatever, but as you get better at songwriting, you will slowly develop a style that is your own, but you're going to need help from your favorite artists in order to do it.
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
Last edited by Pagan Terrorism at Jun 28, 2008,
I'll just listen to a song a whole bunch of times, and then get its melody in my head. Then, as I'm singing to it, I put my own lyrics in there. I construct and entire song with someone elses rhythm. Then while the piece sits on my desk for weeks, I forget the rhythm. Then I pick it up, and I make a song out of it, with my own rhythm. The point is, use another song as a basis and an inspiration. Other peoples music is why you picked up a guitar, right? In the end, this is your way of saying "my meter will be 7/5/7/5", or "my meter is 8/3/3".
Write, write, write. The more you write, the better you will become. Read through it every day and edit it. Erase some parts, write some new. But the best advice is just to write constantly. The first lyrics you write always suck.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
well I hate my writing too, I show it to friends and family and tell them to be harsh and nothing, I post it here on UG and haven't really got much negative feedback, as long as when you're writing it's true it doesn't matter...
i have the same problem. I looked back at most of my notebooks and find that a lot of stuff i wrote was desent compared to what i'm writing today. I write all kinds of lyrics mostly revolving around death, love, hate, perseverance, regrets and losing a friend because of iraq. my lyrics suck and i don't know what else to do. I tried reading books again and that sorta helped. but i'm at a loss
I never like what I write. That's why I send it via text message to a roadie, she's there to boost my ego on the crappy stuff I write
I suggest you do something similar. It's kind of embarassing because of course you think it sucks, but unless you write a song with cringe worthy rhymes you should get back positive feedback, with maybe one or two helpful hints on what you could improve on. It's helpful.
Well, are you hoping to make songs that people will like, or that YOU will like?

If you want to write songs for other people to enjoy, post them here and see how people take to it. Worst that can happen is people don't like it.

If you want to write for your own personal satisfaction, then the advice give by KRSplat is a good place to start. Just keep writing.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.