though i am ashamed to admit it, I don't know how to read sheet music. well, i can read it (i know what eighth notes are and the scales and all the basics) but i can't take that and put it through my bass. I can read tabs, but those are no good unless i either remember every song that i know by heart or have the song to play along with, which is a problem because i usually play heavier music but the band i just got into plays mainly older rock (van halen, dio, eric clapton, so on and so forth) yes, its only at the cover band/nameless stage(though we are writing). any help would be appreciated
what are you asking?

and plenty of people don't have the faintest idea how to read sheet music. It's why people in the musical world look down on people who play guitar.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
ahhh man, you have great years to come. I remember when the band i'm in was first starting out. Bad covers, horrible first songs...great. lol. but man, I really don't think sheet music is all that important to be able to read, but if you're really intent on doing so, You could probably take lessons on that, or look around on the internet. I wish you the best of luck with your band. Bit of advice: People will take you seriously, if you have a serious name. Put alot of thought into your name, It can ultimately claim what your sound will be.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
You should try a program called Guitar Pro 5. This program lets you write out and compose your own tabs all in a 4-string or 6-string format. All the while this shows you what the song looks like on a piano. So you could compose a song on a piano, using GP5, and then it would tell you exactly how to play it on a bass or an electric guitar. It's a fantastic program, I love it.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston Churchill
or power tab editor, same thing free. Sounds worse played back though.
It is just a matter of practise. I can read music, and I know where the notes are on the bass. However, putting two and two together is a long and tedious journey if you didn't use sheet music from when you started.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
It is just a matter of practise. I can read music, and I know where the notes are on the bass. However, putting two and two together is a long and tedious journey if you didn't use sheet music from when you started.

Exactly.

I can read bass and treble clef perfectly, since I've been playing piano for years, but I still struggle when playing some fast and/or complicated on bass off sheet music, because I started off playing with tabs and by ear.
I always combine sheets and tablature ('Specially when I need to read really fast).
I can read sheet music. I know what type of notes they are (half, quart etc) i know the same about rests and stuff i know if the note is an A or a B etc. The problem i have is finding that note on my bass. What i do is find a song in Guitar Pro. Print it out Use the Tab to find the frets use the sheet for the rythem. I also try to remember the note and the fret i played. Given time i will be able to read it and find it.

While being able to read sheet music is no must to make great music (jaco for example learned sheet music pretty late in his career) it does give you a great advantage. Being able to read sheet music makes you able to play almost anything as most books etc contain sheet music and less tablature. So i would try and learn it as you will have a slight advantage over someone who doesn't.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
. Being able to read sheet music makes you able to play almost anything as most books etc contain sheet music and less tablature. So i would try and learn it as you will have a slight advantage over someone who doesn't.

Learning to read music takes some time and effort but is worth it for the reasons Mescalino has stated.

My advice is to not use tab as a crutch or a set of training wheels in a program like Guitar pro or some of the bass books that are out there. Like when you learn a new language, it takes a bit of time and effort, but it does pay off. Most of the good beginning bass books like Hal Leonard and Mel Bay's bass series are good for learning to read bass clef and provide little to no tabulature. And then find sheet music--any sheet music and practice reading on a daily basis.

I was lucky that when I was in school, learning to read music was part of the curriculum in the 3rd grade. And being able to sight read was a big emphasis in music through middle and high school band. So as a result, I am a sight reading demon to this day. But I do have a bit of a confession to make--I still suck at reading tabulature. I find it awkward to read and avoid it like the plague unless I am playing with someone who can't read music.
Quote by MV4824
It IS a thread about "the abilities to read sheet music".

I'm 17 and I can read the bass clef OKAY... (I stumble around a lot though.) I'm ashamed that I can't read both the treble and the bass clef at my age..

But the Beatles thing. I fail to see the point in that.
It's actually fairly simple. Just learn what key you're playing in. For example, if you have 2 sharps, then you're playing in D, and use the D major scale position an memorize what intervals look like in notation. It's easier than you would think.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But the Beatles thing. I fail to see the point in that.

How THE HELL did these guys went on to be the most famous band? Oh right, let's ask how did Fall Out Boy do it.
In my opinion, I'd get a songbook from your local music store.
If you play only songs you like, you might not learn anything new, learning new songs from different genres.
I feel bassists should have a basic grasp on reading sheet music, bassists are always in demand for number of things, not just tab rock bands. That's why I'm practicing reading and such.
Quote by SHEEM
How THE HELL did these guys went on to be the most famous band? Oh right, let's ask how did Fall Out Boy do it.

Now I see what people mean when they say our generation is having such a difficult time expressing themselves through writing. Were you agreeing with me, or disagreeing? I kind of missed what you said.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Now I see what people mean when they say our generation is having such a difficult time expressing themselves through writing. Were you agreeing with me, or disagreeing? I kind of missed what you said.

Point is, having the ability to read sheet music has nothing to do with being famous or not. It just clarifies you as a REAL musician. Just like being fast. Dave gilmour, for example, always said "I'm not a real guitarist at all", althrough he always will be a greater guitarist than Buckethead, Malmsteen or any shredder. Sid Vicious! Of course you know who he is, but he couldn't play bass at all.

Great. now I agree with you. I phail to see the point in the beatles.