Poll: use teachers as a reference
Poll Options
View poll results: use teachers as a reference
yes
23 85%
no
4 15%
Voters: 27.
im filling out a job application for hot topic, and need references, i have never had a job before, and am alittle short on adults i know, so i have resorted to using teachers.

i sent emails to both my US history and my AP english teachers, i will only use one of them, but is it a good idea to use them? will they bring my grade into account, because in US history i have a B+ and in AP english...well i have an F, but my teacher is always telling me im too smart to fail and should show some initiative.

both teachers are rather young, both guys, and they both like me as a person (IE i can talk to them after class, so they know me, i contribute alot in class too).

so all mighty pit, is this a good idea?

*note i have already sent emails, but i have written the references yet.

EDIT: i know, UG thinks hot topic is gay. but from what i hear its a pretty good job, pretty easy, and decent pay.
Last edited by aaron6890 at May 31, 2008,
Hot Topic is gay.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
You probably don't need one at all, I wouldn't worry about it.

It wouldn't hurt to get those references so you won't have to later though.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The teachers will always give you a good reference especialy the AP english.He seems to be concerned with what you are doing with your life and if he sees you are getting a job he will do what he can to see that you get it
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Quote by jthm_guitarist
You probably don't need one at all, I wouldn't worry about it.

It wouldn't hurt to get those references so you won't have to later though.

i want the application to look as filled as possible. so i want to have them, plus i dont want them to not pick just because i didnt fill out a stupid little box, i already have on reference, my uncle whom i wrote was my neighbor, because he owned a small business for like 5 years, and i did some work for him.
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
The teachers will always give you a good reference especialy the AP english.He seems to be concerned with what you are doing with your life and if he sees you are getting a job he will do what he can to see that you get it

+1
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Quote by WhoPhlungBass

but hes the kind of teacher that would be honest, im afraid he'll tell them my grade, or say something that will make me lose the job, either way, neither have gotten back to me, but i did just send the emails like half an hour ago.
go for it. i suggest using the one who's class you arent failing though. because if they talk to you reference at all, and find out its your teacher, i assume theyre probably going to ask about your grade. now your teacher might say that its private, and that they dont have to know, but if they do tell them, id assume they arent going to lie about it for you. so go with the teacher who is giving you a good grade.
Not to be a dick, but if you're failing a class you should probably be studying more. You should probably raise your grade...ah **** it school's almost over anyways.
We learned all this in CALM this year. The statistics of the teachers telling the future employer your mark is slim to none. The thing he will most likely talk about is your work ethic and the amount of effort you put into things. So that could be good or bad.
What the hell dude? It's not a college application, it's a retail job at a ****ty store. Just list prior work experience, and show up on time for the interview. I would say dress well for the interview, but with hot topic, i don't really know if what they consider dressing well is what society considers dressing well
Every time I've filled out a job application, I've failed...

Not meant to discourage you, just an anecdote. I'm sure you'll do great. They rarely call your references, but it's good to have people whom you can ask about a certain job, and they can provide you with valuable inside info such as "this job is complete shite" or "man, I remember one time I got really drunk and tried to mop up a dog and it peed on my shirt and I was tripping balls so bad. Good times, you should take the job."

yeah...