Tomorrow I'm jamming with some friends and we're recording a video and I get a lot of **** from them because my other friend is a better guitarist (he has been playing longer though). So what are some ways I could spice up my solos because I'm feeling repetitive. I know all the pentatonic modes, I haven't a bunch of different ways to play the major scale written down, but not off by heart and I'm pretty decent at sweeping. But I need some licks to spice up my soloing.
Learn solos and licks from your favorite guitarists, and incorporate their licks and patterns into your playing.
Use the links in my sig.

The theory link will teach you how scales work so you can analyze others' work and figure out how to incorporate it in your playing. The "learn to solo" link is a link to a Marty Friedman video that teaches you about interesting soloing ideas.

And learn to alternate pick.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Use the links in my sig.

The theory link will teach you how scales work so you can analyze others' work and figure out how to incorporate it in your playing. The "learn to solo" link is a link to a Marty Friedman video that teaches you about interesting soloing ideas.

I'm fine with alternate picking and thanks for the Marty Friedman video that's pretty cool. Also Marty has the same guitar as me
Last edited by drunkinkoala at May 31, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Use the links in my sig.

While most of the advice was good I guess, sending him a lengthy article on theory won't do him any good when he needs to spice up his solos for a recording tomorrow. It takes months of study and practice to be able to apply theory to solos at a comfortable enough level to actually make it worthwhile.
Quote by Guitargod12345
learn some new scales and use them.
What do you think that will achieve?

Learn how to properly use the major scale. All the other scales are too unstable and too impractical to use.
/rant on exotic scales

BTW I consider pentatonics, harmonic minors and melodic minors as part of the major/minor scale. You should use all three minor scales over minor progressions and pentatonics are just the safe notes of the major scale.
Use melody! It baffles me how many great shredders there are out there, who are a million times better than me, yet their stuff sounds like utter ****. Of course, I would wish to be as good as them (I'm only grade 6), but I try to incorporate as much melody into my solos as possible, rather than sweeping up and down scales at 1000 nps.