Page 1 of 2
I just heard one and think it is one of the best amps ever made. It was erock's clip I heard on the splawn website. It sounded amazing and I want to know is it an awsome amp for metal? Becouse I am thinking I might save up for one instead of the peavey 6505.

Also If I do save up in the $2000 dollar range is there another amp better then the nitro?
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
I'd spend that kind of money on an Orange amp.
But our musical tastes differ. I don't know what's good for shred at that price range
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Dude I love orange amps as well I have a tiny terror for my clasic rock and it sounds amazing for that overdriven tone but it doesn't have enof gain on tap with out and overdrive for death metal.

But I must say when you krank the volume on the orange there is not a better classic rock tone.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Well done!

You went on a website and listened to a clip. This definitely deserves its own thread.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by rebelmidget
I'd spend that kind of money on an Orange amp.
But our musical tastes differ. I don't know what's good for shred at that price range

Oranges are great, but Splawns are on a whole other level.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by laurens666
How do you know from a clip, check it out in shop first.

I live in Iowa the only dealerships withen 4 hours of me only sell the generic Marshall, Peavy, Mesa Boogie, Line 6 stuff. The nearest splawn, krank, engl, pretty much anything that you won't find in guitar center. I have to drive to missouri or Minisota for. So ya I have to rely on clips.

But when I do figure it out I might have to make the long treck to missouri but I don't want to travel all that way with out knowing if it would at all work for me.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Last edited by 80sShred4TheWin at May 31, 2008,
hey bro, glad you liked that clip.
PM me mang, I can hook you up with more clips from players a lot better than I am, and put you in touch with other Nitro owners if you're really interested in the amp. They really are killer amps for the money, nothing much can touch them in the pricerange if you like the Splawn voicing.

There are a lot of amps to consider though, 2k is a healthy budget.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I prefer the tone of the Quick Rod but that's just from the clips, I have yet to play a Splawn.
Quote by Erock503

+1...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Erock503
hey bro, glad you liked that clip.
PM me mang, I can hook you up with more clips from players a lot better than I am, and put you in touch with other Nitro owners if you're really interested in the amp. They really are killer amps for the money, nothing much can touch them in the pricerange if you like the Splawn voicing.

you have a nitro now? did i ask you this before?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you have a nitro now? did i ask you this before?

hehe, whatup Dave. Yeah, I made a thread on here, lasted a couple pages then died by the wayside.

Here she is though, in case you didn't see it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ah, awesome, thanks eric. Looks badass! what's the cab by the way?

I must have missed that thread, sorry about that, I don't always get a chance to check through all the new posts (as subscribed threads can take long enough), especially when now there's often about 5 new pages of new threads each day...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya I like the splawn, orange, marshall voicing I just want to know if there is enof gain for the brOOtal
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Last edited by 80sShred4TheWin at May 31, 2008,
br00talz, you mean?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, awesome, thanks eric. Looks badass! what's the cab by the way?

I must have missed that thread, sorry about that, I don't always get a chance to check through all the new posts (as subscribed threads can take long enough), especially when now there's often about 5 new pages of new threads each day...

thanks Dave
The cab is a Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B. Corey(MesaExplorer) turned me on to them, and then I went and researched them. GREAT sounding cabs, easily one of, if not the best, I've owned or heard live. They have a really unique baffling design, unique construction, and build them with the best materials available. All they do is cabs, so all their resources go into making the best they can. They respond very well with V30, better than any cab I've used. I used to think farting out was a limitation of how far you could take the bass on an amp, or the speakers, but this cab has shown me it was the cab design. I really dig them, so much I'll probably get another down the road.

Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
ya I like the splawn, orange, marshall voicing I just want to know if there is enof gain for metal

the Quickrods have enough gain for metal imo, I think they do a great thrash sound and modern rock. Voicing is centered around the mids and upper mids, they just have this really in your face "snarl" in the midrange. Almost like you can hear the different layers of chords and harmonics really distinctly. They also have a good amount of lowend, just not like the Nitro.

The Nitro is centered more around the lowend and lower mids, just a huge massive sound. I mean rattle everything in the room lowend. They still have quite a bit of midrange, but it's voiced differently. It can handle very low downtuned stuff very well, I liked how it handles my 7 string more than the Quickrod. However, there are a bunch of guys I know that like using them with the Quickrod too.

I have a few more clips of my Nitro on www.Netmusicians.org , and a friend of mine Windsen has a bunch of better ones posted. Just search for Quickrod or Nitro, and you should get a ton of clips for both. It also says exactly what they used for the clips, which is a nice feature.
amp clips
amp vids
That might be the number one rule with high gain amps you don't say you want a amp that can play metal you say you want an amp that can do the br00talz
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
ya I like the splawn, orange, marshall voicing I just want to know if there is enof gain for the brOOtal

Depends on what type of brOOtalz your looking for.. If you looking for marshall voicing Splawn is the most brOOtalz i have heard. If your looking at Modern American voiced brOOtalz it might not be your best option...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Depends on what type of brOOtalz your looking for.. If you looking for marshall voicing Splawn is the most brOOtalz i have heard. If your looking at Modern American voiced brOOtalz it might not be your best option...

yeah, good point, definitely more the Marshall flavor side of things.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
thanks Dave
The cab is a Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B. Corey(MesaExplorer) turned me on to them, and then I went and researched them. GREAT sounding cabs, easily one of, if not the best, I've owned or heard live. They have a really unique baffling design, unique construction, and build them with the best materials available. All they do is cabs, so all their resources go into making the best they can. They respond very well with V30, better than any cab I've used. I used to think farting out was a limitation of how far you could take the bass on an amp, or the speakers, but this cab has shown me it was the cab design. I really dig them, so much I'll probably get another down the road.

sounds very nice! thanks for the info

Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
That might be the number one rule with high gain amps you don't say you want a amp that can play metal you say you want an amp that can do the br00talz

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I listened to the clips and liked it but I just don't know if I can justify spending 2k on something I can't try in person.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Well I listened to the clips and liked it but I just don't know if I can justify spending 2k on something I can't try in person.

definitely true man, it's not something you should rush into. They do hold their value quite well though, even buying new. The latest version of the Quickrod fetches about $1500-1600USD on the used market, the Nitro about $1600-1700. Used is the way to go unless you want your own cosmetics though, you can always sell it without losing much if anything. Custom cosmetics are included in the price if you go new.

That budget though, you have a lot of amps you need to try out. There are some killer options in that pricerange outside of Splawn and Peavey. You'll be pressed to find something built as well as the Splawns under 2k though, they are sort of an enigma in that regard.
amp clips
amp vids
thanks ya I got to sort fo check out a lot of amps even though I have played a marshall jcm2000, orange rocker, krank chadwick, peavey JSX, XXX and 6505, Mesa Recto and Mesa Mark4, Vox ac30, egnator tourmaster. Out of that I liked the 6505 the best. I still want to play engl, krank rev1+, and splawn. Don't know if there is something else I should try.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
ENGL makes some good metal amps in that pricerange, Powerball, Fireball, Savage, and Blackmore. Framus Cobras and Dragons can be found in that range used, VHT Deliverance, SigX. You can find the Uberschall in that pricerange used, although a little too loose for my preference. Others seem to go ga ga over them on this forum though. Krank makes a great metal amp IMO, but definitely one you have to play first, plenty of guys detest them for various reasons. Nothing wrong with liking a 6505 as your top choice though, plenty of bands have gotten great results with them.
amp clips
amp vids
So for high gain amps around that money you got

Engl
Framous
Krank
Peavy
Marshall
VHT
Mesa Booige
Splawn
Used Bogner
Rivera
Randall
Used Soldano
Orange
Hughes and Kettner

I can't think of anything else but the problem with these amps is I can't try 3/4 of them becouse none of the guitar shops near me sell them.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
These are all the ones I can find in Iowa
Krank
Peavy
Marshall
Mesa Boogie
Rivera
Randall
Orange

I might be able to find a soldano or VHT in guitar center but don't count on it the local guitar center in Iowa doesn't have much high end gear.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Krank
Peavy
Marshall
Mesa Boogie
Rivera
Randall
Orange

I might be able to find a soldano or VHT in guitar center but don't count on it the local guitar center in Iowa doesn't have much high end gear.

Yall have more high-end gear then us lol

All we have is peavey, marshall, fender, mesa and a million spiders lol
Well all we have in guitar center is that to the other stuff I have seen in smaller shops
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Krank
Peavy
Marshall
Mesa Boogie
Rivera
Randall
Orange

lol, that's not bad man.
Try both of the + series Kranks, I really like mine.

As for Mesa, try out the Roadster and RK, both are a little different than the regular Rectifier series, since you've already tried those. There is actually a used Road King in classifieds here right at the top of your budget.

Rivera is pretty interesting. The KR100 and KR7 are a couple I want to try myself.

Randall make some cool looking modular amps in their highend. It might be fun to try out a bunch of modules, and just use your favorite ones to make a head.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Well all we have in guitar center is that to the other stuff I have seen in smaller shops

Pretty much its the same stuff in our small shops as well. You might see a Genz Benz or Randall every now and again. One shop just started carrying Bugera which i wont comment on lol

I need to find me a decent shop... I'm in the same boat, only time i can test stuff out is if i hit up a guitar show and even then the wait in line to test stuff is insane and you get in trouble for cranking it. The people working the peavey booth had the biggest fit with me in there lol
Ya I don't have it terrible but I would realy love a engl or Splawn shop.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
Ya I don't have it terrible but I would realy love a engl or Splawn shop.

Yup heres the stuff on my need to test list...

Diezel Herbert
Engl Powerball
Splawn Nitro
VHT Sig:X
Mako Dorado
Krank Rev and Krankenstein
Mesa Mark IV
Randall Rack MTS RM4 with matching RT2/50

And a custom high gain boutique model i might have my boutique guy build

I think thats it, might be missing a few but ehh ya get the point... Seems I'm nearing completion of my demo'ed every high gain amp the market has to offer quest lol
I have heard people say that the VHT Sig:X is disapointing and the people on harmony central never seem to keep theres long. But they never seem to keep any amp long.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Page 1 of 2