I put about 150 worth of new pickups into my ibanez 7 string. dimarzio evolution and a d-sonic. how much would it raise the guitar value? would it just stay the same?
Depends on whose is buying it. Some people couldn't care less if it doesn't have stock pickups or not.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Not sure how much it would increase by, but I can tell you for certain that it wont stay the same, and it definitely wont go down. However, this is assuming that they were installed properly, but if they were you can guarantee that the value will increase by some amount, depending on how good the new pickups are.
depends on the guitar. if you replace the pickups on a new ibanez rg it'll probably go up. if you replace them on a 61 original fender strat, you'd probably blow a few thousand dollars off your value
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Actually, it might go down. Be SURE to keep the original pickups, so if the buyer wants (and they often do) you can sell the guitar as "stock."

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
depends on the guitar. if you replace the pickups on a new ibanez rg it'll probably go up. if you replace them on a 61 original fender strat, you'd probably blow a few thousand dollars off your value

thats why you dont f*** with guitars that old

-pieces of art they are and people dont realize it.
cheers betch
Believe it or not, it actually lowers the value. I'm not sure why this is the case, but that's generally the way things work, be it with a guitar/amp, a car or whatever. Stock is always technically of more value.

That said, you could actually probably sell it for more if someone was looking for that specific setup.
it's funny, if gibson puts emg's in a les paul custom, they charge double for it. if you put emg's in a les paul custom, they'll pay half as much to buy it back from you.
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Depends, if you find somebody looking exactly for what you have might add a little. Most others will say well I dont like that "brand/kind/color/etc" then want to bargain you down. If your gonna sell it just keep the new ones and put the old ones back in. You never get your money out of a set of pickups. A set of EMG 81/85s are about 200, you open the box and they lose half their value.
It'll lose some value for not being stock; and the pickups will add some. It might even out, but it definitely won't increase by the amount you spent on the pickups.
To me, it's counterintuitive. If anything is modified with something that improves it in any way, then the value should increase at least by the price of the mod, minus the price of the replaced part(s). The same goes for any vintage equipment. If the vintage version is intrinsically better, then it should be worth more. The only reason something vintage could be worth more by it being original, but not being of better quality in any other way, is the "irreplaceable" factor. Otherwise, improving with up-to-date technology should cause the value to increase.
Better off returning the guitar to stock and then selling the better pickups separately, perhaps in addition to the sale of the guitar itself to the same buyer, if resale is why you're asking.

The same is true of modifying cars. You see ads all the time with huge laundry lists of every mod possible, but the value and saleability is reduced unless that's precisely what someone was looking for all along.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1