hey, i was just wondering if my action would be considered low to you guys. Its 1.5mm at the 12th fret. from the top of the fret to the string. what do you guys think? thanks
Yeah thats good if you mean 1.5 off the fretwire. Stanley Jordan has it so you can just slide a penny under it and obviously he needs REALLY low action.
its mostly preference. whatever is comfortable to you.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Fender 15w amp
Dunlop Crybaby
Action has nothing to do with tone.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Dude.... Ask for any classical guitarist about playability and tone quality.
Use whatever action you are comfortable with s long as it's not too low so it kills you with fret buzz. A good test to see if it's too low on jumbo fretted guitars is to bend a full step on the "third to last" fret (22-->24 or 20-->22 etc.). If it's ok - it won't buzz. Mine did, so I changed id and now it's about 2mm ant 12th fret for the low E, 1.7 for the high.
Quote by .arkness:.

I raised the action on my guitars just a little bit, and sure noticed a difference in the tone and sustain. Also, bending is much easier with higher action, so I'd say that kind of also improves the tone.

High action rules!
Quote by XianXiuHong
Fail.

Agreed, much fail.

Action has EVERYTHING to do with tone - too low an action and the strings can't vibrate freely, that means less overtones, less sustain and therefore crappy tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by chickenx5
hey, i was just wondering if my action would be considered low to you guys. Its 1.5mm at the 12th fret. from the top of the fret to the string. what do you guys think? thanks

the measurement should be different between low E and high E.
mine's less than 1mm for high E, and less than 1.5mm for low E. oh and you need a really straight neck.
i can't hear any difference in tone. i think it's rather subtle but maybe i just have poor ears.
no problems so far but picking it slightly harder will result in buzzing. different strings have different amount of buzz.
i pick quite softly. i use 3mm jim dunlop big stubby picks.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
With action that low, a player has to adjust his style - meaning a light touch and a light pick attack. A wild strummer would have it buzzing all over the place. If you want action that low, I suggest having your frets leveled and crowned if you can find someone to do it. You get more accurate action that way. With my guitars, they vary bewteen 1 to 2 and I love 'em. A friend tried playing my Ibanez and put it right back thinking he did something to it because it was buzzing everywhere...but he has a stronger pick attack.
Quote by .arkness:.

Yes it does...

1.5mm at the 12th fret, is that with the first fret fretted or not? It does seem low but it somewhat depends on the rest of your setup.

Too low string height will result in a more choked, dull sound, with less sustain. And of course bent notes will choke sooner too.

Higher string height (action = feel, not string height usually) = more open, less compressed sound.
I see now. I was pretty wrong but i didn't word it quite the way i was thinking. For instance, after a certain point (Where the strings can vibrate freely and all) tone wont be change. The string will be further away from the pickups but you can adjust that so the tone is the same.

When the action ii too low you get fret buzz. I didn't really associate that with tone though, just something bad that happens. Heh.

Regardless, my bad.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
We're all here to learn

I usually go for action that's medium... so my tone stays open and nice... I haven't tried much higher though, most of my saddles don't even go that hight So no clue if there's a threshold point at which very little changes, though it'd make sense.

Pickups' magnet push also matters if you don't keep the distance with the strings equal. It's also a cause of sustain loss as the mags push down on the strings and hinder their vibrations.
Quote by jAzZMataZz
holy ****! 1,5 mm??? i have 8 mm. don't you have any fret buzz?

8mm????????

thats feckin unplayable. I suggest you let someone take a look at your trussrod.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
8mm????????

thats feckin unplayable. I suggest you let someone take a look at your trussrod.

the thing is i can play it perfectly fine and i use daddario 12-54s in standard tuning. the people that play my guitar sometimes give up after two chords^^
How the hell can anyone play with a string height of only 1.5mm...

I use between 3.3mm and 5.7mm, depending on the guitar. I can't imagine how anyone can ever use any lower than about 2.7mm. Below that, you'll be losing clarity, sustain, harmonic resonance, it's not worth it at all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
buy a carvin
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by MrFlibble
How the hell can anyone play with a string height of only 1.5mm...

I use between 3.3mm and 5.7mm, depending on the guitar. I can't imagine how anyone can ever use any lower than about 2.7mm. Below that, you'll be losing clarity, sustain, harmonic resonance, it's not worth it at all.

Not true. As long as your strings dont suffer fretbuzz when you string them, theres no sustain or tonal problem.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The action on my rg is really really low. I did the setup myself. All wizard necks seem to work really well for this.. You can get really low action without fretbuzz, thus you get great tone, and great feel.
Quote by steven seagull
Agreed, much fail.

Action has EVERYTHING to do with tone - too low an action and the strings can't vibrate freely, that means less overtones, less sustain and therefore crappy tone.

Not necessarily - if the pickups are lowered accordingly to compensate for the lowering of the strings, then the dampening effect of the magnetic field will be neutralised. Also, lower strings mean the strings are vibrating closer to the wood of the body, meaning greater resonance and sustain.

Obviously TS if you lower the action too much and without truss rod adjustment you'll end up with a lot of fret buzz, which will screw you for sustain, tone, and freedom of picking expression.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Not necessarily - if the pickups are lowered accordingly to compensate for the lowering of the strings, then the dampening effect of the magnetic field will be neutralised. Also, lower strings mean the strings are vibrating closer to the wood of the body, meaning greater resonance and sustain.

Obviously TS if you lower the action too much and without truss rod adjustment you'll end up with a lot of fret buzz, which will screw you for sustain, tone, and freedom of picking expression.

I'm not talking about the effect the pickups have on the strings, I'm talking about the physical clearance of the strings above the fretboard. How close the strings are has nothing to do with transmitting vibrations to the wood, vibrations are transmitted through the string anchor points.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^^Yup fret buzz will negate pretty much everything. However I personally always found I got noticeably better sustain when the strings were lower and set up properly (ie without buzz). Although what could work for me may be totally different for others, as setup does affect your own style and technique and vice versa, a guitar is set up for what the player's personal preferences are.
My guitars are typically around 3-4mm, anything lower and it pisses me off , particularly around the higher frets. Obviously you can compensate with your amp and effects but I'd rather have the notes ring as long as they physically can.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Agreed, much fail.

but as long as there is no buzz, it doesn't matter how low the strings are, right?
i mean, sustain loss happens when the strings vibration is muffled right?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by LP_CL
8mm????????

I can play with an action higher than that.

With a slide, of course.