ive been playing for over 3 years, and ive been using ph's for about a year, and i still have trouble hitting them, i would say i only actually get a decent squeal 75% of the time.

i understand how they work, and letting your thumb hit the string after your pick, and i understand how different places on the string allow for different pitches, (the only ive been able to use are 1: in front of the pickup, closest to the neck 2: behind the pickup, and 3: in between the two pickups.

and i understand that the tonal quality of the harmonic depends heavily on the vibrato you put on the string after you hit it.

so why cant i get a consistent sound?
Use more gain on the amp, it usually helps.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Michael Schenker Custom
Ibanez MTM1
Ibanez Canary Chorus
Ibanez Shark Distortion
Boss CS-3
Dunlop DB01 Dimbag Crybaby From Hell
all i do is play the loudest[and scream-iest] again and again until i can unconsciously "memorize" where that particular spot is...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

really, a big factor is actually your pickups. if they are able to catch more trebley tones, then it makes it easier to do a pinch harmonic.
Use the bridge pickup, works a lot better than the others. Also, replace your strings if they're old.
Call me Batman.
Honestly, just practice and it'll become more consistent. Just incorporate them by playing all downstroked riffs with each note being a harmonic.
So, since Im in here. You know how you have the 4th fret harmonic? When you do a pinch harmonic, are you just doing a harp harmonic, but using the equivalent of a 4th fret harmonic on the bridge?