Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to buy myself some thicker guitar strings then I normally use.
I choose the .010 series from D'Addario instead of my regular .009 ones.
When I put them on and started tuning, my bridge went like this:

How do I fix this?
youve either got to put more or tighter trem springs in, or youve somehow got to adjust the claw/ or some other part.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
same thing happened when I went to 11s on my Carvin
there should be an extra hole for one or two more springs. just add one and see if that works, if not, add another (if you can) or get springs with more tension.
'90 Carvin Koa neck-through
'03 Parker fly hardtail
'06 Harmonia 7039CE Classical
'92 Epiphone 335 sheraton
2kool4skool Guitar Store
Its normal dude dont worry. Send to a luthier , and he will set you guitar for 0.10
that is very normal. there are several ways to fix it however:
1)add more tension to the existing springs in the back of your guitar
2)add more springs to the back of your guitar w/o having to increase the tension
3)tune your guitar down a half step or more.

in any case i'd recommend taking it to a guitar shop so they can set it up for you or i'd look into learning how to set up a floyd bridge. it's worth the effort.
Ok, so basicly I just have to go to a guitar store and buy myself 1 or 2 springs?
Doesn't sound too hard , although the nearest proper guitar store is a 30-min drive from here..

EDIT: I just fixed it with a little help from a youtube instruction video thanks for the replies people!
Last edited by GetMad at May 31, 2008,
Glad you figured it out!! But did you adjust the intonation, too?? If you didn't, see if Youtube has something on that, too...
What on earth did guitarists do before UG and Youtube
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Glad you figured it out!! But did you adjust the intonation, too?? If you didn't, see if Youtube has something on that, too...

Uhm, no I didn't actually.. What exactly does it mean, adjusting the intonation?
I'm really new to this kind of stuff, I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now, but never really interested myself for guitar mechanics, until now