Page 1 of 2
Here's a good band. Listen to these guys more. Gods of metal. I just noticed that Sepultura aren't spoken of too much and I just want to see if there are any fans out there and what they have to say...

PEACE
Sepultura are excellent. Their last album was actually one of their best, though obviously nobody's gonna pay attention since their other post-Max stuff was pretty mediocre. I can't wait for their new album even though it's Sepultura without any Cavaleras...
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
The kind of music they played Chaos AD and after just isn't for me, although I might check out their latest based on Duncang's rec. Obviously I'm not going to like Soulfly and I heard CC new album and didn't like it.

On their first few:

Bestial Devastation is great, overlooked first-wave death metal. It was short, which is good, because it would have got boring (as you can see with Morbid Visions)

Schizophrenia, they moved towards a more typical thrash sound and did well with it, and while Beneath The Remains wasn't too bad it did get a bit dull

Arise was boring as anything
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
I enjoy all the early stuff including Arise and Chaos AD...
And although i do agree that most the post-max stuff was pretty average - there're still a few decent tracks.
Everything up to Arise = 10/10 for every album. Amazing.

Dante XXVI, Chaos A.D. = Not bad, some great parts.

Everything else = Arse.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Sepultura rule. Ive only actually got a greatest hits thing of theirs but every song on there rules!!! I need to one of their actuall albums....
If you can get the Chaos dvd, do. Its worth it just for Under Siege '92, the greatest live dvd I have ever seen. EVER.

Igor is an absolute beast of a drummer.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Beneath The Remains is one of my top three thrash albums...
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
^ +1
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by MHDrunk
The kind of music they played Chaos AD and after just isn't for me, although I might check out their latest based on Duncang's rec. Obviously I'm not going to like Soulfly and I heard CC new album and didn't like it.

On their first few:

Bestial Devastation is great, overlooked first-wave death metal. It was short, which is good, because it would have got boring (as you can see with Morbid Visions)

Schizophrenia, they moved towards a more typical thrash sound and did well with it, and while Beneath The Remains wasn't too bad it did get a bit dull

This.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by MHDrunk
The kind of music they played Chaos AD and after just isn't for me, although I might check out their latest based on Duncang's rec.

Don't expect another Morbid Visions or anything, it's a pretty aggressive and biting album, sort of a groove/hardcore influenced album, though it doesn't go anywhere near metalcore.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they're one of the best live acts I've ever seen, Derrick Green has ridiculous stage presence, and he's a better vocalist than Max was. Problem is that he doesn't write songs like Max did.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Dante XXI wasn't on par with their works of old, but was a definite improvement, over Roots, Nation, and Against. Haven't heard Roorback.

Most things pre-Chaos AD is classic old-school death-thrashing quality.
Jah dude those were pretty much my thoughts about dante. But a completely cavaleraless sepultura is just.... well, i guess we'll have to wait and see.
Sepultura are criminally overlooked on this forum. They used to be one of my favourite bands, but I have to admit they've slipped down the list a bit. Beneath the Remains and Arise will always be two of my favourite thrash albums, and thrash is probably my favourite sub-genre. Hell yeah.
I used to love these guys when I was younger, everything pre-Chaos AD is great. Chaos/Roots era is less to my taste and without Max I lost interest...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I really did find Arise to be seriously boring. I liked Chaos AD though, and i'm going to check out Bestial Devastation, sounds like a good album.
Igor is an insane drummer.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by destroy_techno
Their early stuff was good, but anything after has been pretty much crap

I don't really like Max' vocals, anyone agree?

He's one of my favourite vocalists personally, though I can see why you wouldn't like them. He doesn't really have much of a vocal range. He's kind of like a Brazillian Tom Araya.

EDIT: I think Tom is from Brazil actually, or Chile or some South American country.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
He's one of my favourite vocalists personally, though I can see why you wouldn't like them. He doesn't really have much of a vocal range. He's kind of like a Brazillian Tom Araya.

EDIT: I think Tom is from Brazil actually, or Chile or some South American country.

Chile.

And, you're right Sep without Max is...just wrong. Slayer without Tom would be wrong.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by mr kipling

Igor is an insane drummer.

I like how he seems to always hit the snare as hard as possibly can
I downloaded Chaos AD earlier. It pretty much owns. Not as good as their earlier stuff, but I still really like it.

Anyone who thinks the three high strings on their guitar are useless is a hero in my books.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I downloaded Chaos AD earlier. It pretty much owns. Not as good as their earlier stuff, but I still really like it.

Anyone who thinks the three high strings on their guitar are useless is a hero in my books.
, Max Cavalera is credited as "4-string guitar" on some albums.

Personally I like ALL the stuff they did with Max, not too keen on the stuff post-Max, but Dante XXVI was really good.
I haven't bothered with any post-Max stuff. I just think that it'll sound akward without him. It wouldn't even be Sepultura without him on vocals and rhythm guitar.

On a side note, wtf is up with this new album. No Max or Igor? How can they even call it Sepultura?
Quote by severed-metal

Sepultura without the Cavaleras is like Megadeth without Dave Mustaine, or Kreator without Mille Petrozza.

In fact, I'm listening to Inner Self right now. It is an awesome song.
Plenty of bands keep going without much of the original band.

People tend to forget that Steve Harris and Dave Murray are the only members of Maiden to have played on all their LPs for example.
With Sepultura it's different though. There is no Max OR Igor!

I guess Im gonna have to check out some post-Max material to see if I'll like it at all. I figure I will, but I don't think it'll have that Sepultura feel.
Quote by severed-metal

It's funny how much better the production is on Bestial Devastation, compared to Morbid Visions. The guitars are actually in tune on BD.

And "The Curse" gave me lulz.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Plenty of bands keep going without much of the original band.

People tend to forget that Steve Harris and Dave Murray are the only members of Maiden to have played on all their LPs for example.

But, the difference.

Steve and Dave can write good songs, still. After almost 30 years. Derrick can't write a half decent song after 10.

Quote by eggsandham2
I've heard some of the post-Max stuff, Roots, Nation and Roarback to memory, back when I didn't have much of a clue about metal and listened to anything heavy (like, 8 years ago). I got them from the library. Didn't even like them then, except for the first track on Roots.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Arise is my favourite Thrash album. Period.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Slaytanic1993
But, the difference.

Steve and Dave can write good songs, still. After almost 30 years. Derrick can't write a half decent song after 10.

Listen to Dante XXI.

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by metal Lover
It's funny how much better the production is on Bestial Devastation, compared to Morbid Visions. The guitars are actually in tune on BD.

And "The Curse" gave me lulz.

Its actually just some lad they got in to burp into the mic
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Sepultura still kick major ass,saw them live last year with derrick and that new drummer(forgot his name)pretty tight to say the least.Though max era was max era nothing can beat that but i still expect to get good stuff from them like Dante XXI.
Beneath the remains is still my favourite thrash metal album.
i hear they are still a good live band... And Dante probably is the strongest max-less album - If it wasn't released by Sepultura, it probably would have gotten a better reception. Maybe I'm wrong...
Quote by Slaytanic1993
But, the difference.

Well, doesn't Andreas do most of the song writing these days? And he did his share when Max was in the band too.
Quote by slayer1516
And people call Metallica sellouts...

Yep, they do.

Andreas is a pretty underrated guitarist, imo. I've always enjoyed his leads in Sepultura.
Quote by slayer1516
And people call Metallica sellouts...

And people call Sepultura sellouts?
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by MHDrunk

On their first few:

Bestial Devastation? Is that an old EP of theirs? I didn't enjoy Chaos AD either, I hated Roots, and Chaos AD was verging on that sound. But I loved Beneath The Remains, I think it's brilliant, Arise had its moments, I wouldn't say it was boring.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2