Do you have a set pattern with your plucking hand? or do you kind of just use whatever finger feels right at that given time? I'm self taught and was just thinking about my style the other day. Just curious if i'm stuck in a bad habit or not. I being the use whatever finger feels right at that given time kinda guy.
The best way and what is generally thought by teachers is: point, middle, point, middle or point, middle, ring, point, middle, ring. all books i have have the first few lessons training that and exercises to practice that. I think that that's the way to go. It also helps with rythem doing it like that.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I agree with the post above, but say I play a note on the D and the next one if on the A, I would use the same finger, as it sort of brushes over both of them, and creates a smoother sound. (IMO)
Quote by kiennM
damn, guess i learned wrong than.

Wrong might be a strong word but the way i described it is better. It will be tough to get rid of that 'bad habit' but in the end it will benefit. Especially with more complicated and fast stuff.

My advise is start practicing
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Some people also use a thre finger technique of 12321232 etc. It isn't quite as fast as 123123 but it can be useful.

As for me, I mostly use two fingers alternating, but I can also bring in my thumb and my ring finger depending on the situation.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
One aspect of James Jamerson's upright playing that carried over to the electric bass guitar was the fact that he generally used only his right index finger to pluck the strings while resting his 3rd and 4th fingers on the chrome pickup cover. Jamerson's index finger even earned its own nickname: "The Hook".

FTW
Quote by fishbass
FTW

However, you may notice he never had a lot of speed or deterity.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I used to "hook" like Jamerson when I first played. The thing to remember is that JJ had amazing strength in his right hand and could do this. He did have quite a bit of fluidity and speed at times, but few of us have that talent or muscle coordination.

I took lessons from a local fingerstyle funk bass player for a while. I tended to play index = middle patterns and the first thing he did was switch that pattern. I am still unsure why, but it did make a difference in speed and fluidity when playing finger style funk bass lines, like Tower of Power etc. And I can play triplets fairly fast and clean using that finger pattern.
Quote by anarkee
I used to "hook" like Jamerson when I first played. The thing to remember is that JJ had amazing strength in his right hand and could do this. He did have quite a bit of fluidity and speed at times, but few of us have that talent or muscle coordination.

I would have liked to have seen him play Scarified with one finger.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yes--I agree with you there, Jack.

But I also don't think the average bass player can play something like "Bernadette" with one finger like Jamerson did.
Quote by anarkee

<<
>>

I've got the coordination and the muscle strength!
but I also have nothing on Billy Sheehan...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Stumpo
Sorry to threadjack abit,
But sincewe're on bad habits,
Would my finegernail brushing the string mean a wrong technique?

Btw, I'd do a 121212 or 123123123 depending on the speed
12 is the most comfy though

It may very well mean your finger nails are in a dire need a clipping.

Quote by anarkee
Yes--I agree with you there, Jack.

But I also don't think the average bass player can play something like "Bernadette" with one finger like Jamerson did.

Well, lines like that make great use of raking to make him play faster. However, I can barely play it with two

The left hand stuff has some weird stretches.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Well, lines like that make great use of raking to make him play faster. However, I can barely play it with two

The left hand stuff has some weird stretches.

On top of that, in true Motown fashion its written in keys that are great for voice and piano, like Eb minor or Ab major. While not impossible to play on bass, they are a bit to get your musical head around.
Is it considered generally disadvantageous if you don't alternate your 1 2 fingers when moving to a lower string? Like, 7th fret A to 7th fret E. I would normally play that just using one finger.
It's called raking. If you know when it's appropriate to use it, then it's fine.

However, it's best to make sure you can hit those alternate notes for a solid er... long time, before you start mixing up your technique.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
what would be the pattern best suited for a really fast technical style?
Quote by kiennM
what would be the pattern best suited for a really fast technical style?

123123123 (index,middle,ring)

Some even use Pinky as 4 but 3 fingers will get you a whole way.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
^3-2-1 works better tan 1-2-3 as it's more natural. As for raking, I hate it. I did learn it once, but I found it just made things worse so I broke out of it. It got me into bad habits of playing with one finger.