is it true you can reduce noise by sticking a piece of cloth behind the nut at the headstock?
does it work as well for locking tremolo system?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
What do you mean by "noise" exactly? If it's a buzzing sound, that's your frets and no cloth is gonna help that...but adjusting the action will. I tried your cloth method on my Les Paul just for kicks and it did nothing - but then again my action is set so my frets don't buzz.
As for doing it on a locking tremolo - there's no point in it. Once the clamps are tightened down on the nut, the vibration points are between it and the bridge and anything behind it is unaffected.
steve vai on his guitar evo, the one hes used most other the years has packed the tremelo cavities with tissue so he can still use it but it reduces noise and he also pads out the pickups but behind the nut, that seems like bs to me
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
i think youre talking about using a cloth tied around the first fret which dampens all open string snow or ringing notes produced by bad muting therefore all it does is account for bad playing, instead you should really just work on technique
antoine du four (probably not correct spelling) has a bandana behind the nut to reduce ringing of strings beyond the nut.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tGemE401r-M

however that noise is hardly noticable on an acoustic and pretty much non-existant on an electric.

Quote by ch715dallat
i think youre talking about using a cloth tied around the first fret which dampens all open string snow or ringing notes produced by bad muting therefore all it does is account for bad playing, instead you should really just work on technique

to be fair with extreme tapping (eight finger stuff) it is near impossible to manually mute the notes so many people use something that can be moved over the nut easily (Like a hairband).
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Last edited by leeb rocks at May 31, 2008,
Quote by leeb rocks
to be fair with extreme tapping (eight finger stuff) it is near impossible to manually mute the notes so many people use something that can be moved over the nut easily (Like a hairband).

According to a Guitar World interview, Protest the Hero uses that technique to clean up their tapping.
umm, synyster gates tied a bandana around the 1st/2nd fret area so like, while recording some of the tougher solos to reduce some noise . of course you cant play an open note while doing so.
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
I just put a cloth behind my nut and it feels pretty good, a little ticklish though.

Anyway, I did put a cloth and it definitely makes a difference, high gain seems less noisy. Noticeably better. Try it yourself.
Quote by akack
I just put a cloth behind my nut and it feels pretty good, a little ticklish though.

Anyway, I did put a cloth and it definitely makes a difference, high gain seems less noisy. Noticeably better. Try it yourself.

does it work for locking nut?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
The strings barely vibrate behind the nut, therefore it's not going to make any difference. It'd make even less difference witha locking nut, if that were possible.
Anyone who says it does, please read this
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 31, 2008,
Quote by necrophilic
does it work for locking nut?

If in front of the nut then it will make a difference. Behind the nut as myself and steven (can I call you steven?) have said makes next to no difference.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.