My metalzone has stopped working. One of my dads friends is probably going to fix it and then i think i will buy a new distortion pedal because the metalzone is just pure crap.

Once its fixed i want to mod it. Any suggestions?
If you don't like it why do you want to mod it? You should only mod gear that you already like, for the purpose of making you like it more. If you mod something you don't like there's a good chance you still wont like it, and it'll end up being a waste of money.
i think it's pretty clear that he wants to mod it just for fun
since he said he's getting a new pedal

edit: make it into a garage door opener
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by rebelmidget
i think it's pretty clear that he wants to mod it just for fun
since he said he's getting a new pedal

edit: make it into a garage door opener

Lol?

Yeah your right. Its just something for fun.

I was told that adding a second LED will give it a slightly thicker sound.

EDIT: Il take the circuit out of it and paint it or something. I was thinking of an EVH kind of paint job.
Last edited by the_poison125 at May 31, 2008,
If that's the case he's better off modding the pedal that he actually intends to use more.

Quote by the_poison125
I was told that adding a second LED will give it a slightly thicker sound.

I would love to hear how the hell that works.

Also, if you intend to do something to it just for fun because you don't want to use it anymore, I would suggest selling it instead. You said you're getting it fixed so it should earn you some decent cash, and it's better to let someone who wants it use do so rather than you just treating it like a disposable toy.

If you want to mess around with some electronics, just go buy some cheap electronic parts and make something out of that. Don't ruin a perfectly good pedal.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
If that's the case he's better off modding the pedal that he actually intends to use more.

I would love to hear how the hell that works.

Look dude. I don't feel comfortable messing around with new, expensive stuff. Thats why i plan on modding this old, piece of crap.

Do you have any suggestions on mods? If not can you just leave my thread please?

And i dont know where i heard about that LED thing its just something that i remember =\

Quote by AVA_Plus44_182

Also, if you intend to do something to it just for fun because you don't want to use it anymore, I would suggest selling it instead. You said you're getting it fixed so it should earn you some decent cash, and it's better to let someone who wants it use do so rather than you just treating it like a disposable toy.

If you want to mess around with some electronics, just go buy some cheap electronic parts and make something out of that. Don't ruin a perfectly good pedal.

*sigh*

It is my edal. I bought it with my hard earned cash. i should be able to do whatever i want with it.

I want to mod it.

If you dont want to help me with this then leave.
Last edited by the_poison125 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by the_poison125
Look dude. I don't feel comfortable messing around with new, expensive stuff. Thats why i plan on modding this old, piece of crap.

Do you have any suggestions on mods? If not can you just leave my thread please?

You could put an expression pedal jack in it that controls the mid frequency knob via the pedal. That way, if you have a lot of boost/cut on the mids on the pedal, you can use the expression pedal as a sort of wah pedal. I've tried it manually using the knob before and it sounds cool.

Quote by the_poison125
And i dont know where i heard about that LED thing its just something that i remember =\

Whoever told you that was probably jerking your chain. Adding anything into a circuit always has the potential to at least suck tone away, but definitely not thicken it up.

Quote by the_poison125

*sigh*

It is my edal. I bought it with my hard earned cash. i should be able to do whatever i want with it.

I want to mod it.

If you dont want to help me with this then leave.

Dude, I'm not saying that you HAVE to let someone else appreciate it, or that you're in any way OBLIGATED to do so, I'm just suggesting that you maybe let someone else get more out of it, seeing as you don't seem to care for it much?
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at May 31, 2008,
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
You could put an expression pedal jack in it that controls the mid frequency knob via the pedal. That way, if you have a lot of boost/cut on the mids on the pedal, you can use the expression pedal as a sort of wah pedal. I've tried it manually using the knob before and it sounds cool.

Whoever told you that was probably jerking your chain. Adding anything into a circuit always has the potential to at least suck tone away, but definitely not thicken it up.

thank you for a helpful reply.

Where should i get that? (what website)
Quote by the_poison125
thank you for a helpful reply.

Where should i get that? (what website)

I'd advise using a Boss expression pedal, probably the one with mono inputs/outputs seeing as you don't need a stereo expression pedal for this. It makes sense to use a Boss exp pedal not just because they're really good, but also because the metal zone is also Boss, and the two will go better together most likely. That part of the mod isn't so hard.

The hard bit is adding an expression jack into the pedal, and getting it to control the mid freq knob. Someone experienced in modifying pedals would be able to do it though, so just hunt around for someone. You then basically use the normal mid knob as a Q control for the wah.

Another suggestion is putting a switch in the pedal that lets you alternate between using the expression pedal to control the mid freq, and using it to control the gain. That way you can also use the expression pedal to adjust distortion intensity, similar to having overdrive on and using the guitar's volume knob to control the gain. You could compensate for gain changes using the volume on your guitar so the volume stays consistent.