Something I've been wondering for a while. When you stand there with your bass, how do you show the band your ideas or songs you wrote? I find in my band that everyone gets bored at listening to the bass and *ignores it* start with the guitars and completely ignore me. Any advice?
Turn off their amps, pick up an acoustic, and show them on that.
Or if it's an idea for a bassline in a song you already have, just play it while you go through the song.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
tell em to shut the **** up and listen or youll **** on their lawns

but seriously just say i have an idea listen (plays song u wrote) maybe you could write a guitar riff based around that if they wont even listen they are most likely idiots
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Smack them on the head and tie them down to a chair.

No serious, Bass is a vital part in a band. All bands in that have a minimum of 3 persons have Guitar, bass and drum. This is for a very good reason. By Ignoring you they show to me like they know little of being in a band.

Point out how important the bass is in a band and if they still wont listen (may sound harsh) find another band to play in. There is a shortage on bassplayers (everyone wants to 'be cool' with a guitar) and there are plenty of bands that can use a bassplayer and are willing to listen to his input. Being ignored in a band is to me the worse thing.

POWER TO THE BASS!!
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
My band, we write all our songs in Guitar Pro so that each person can learn em cause we dont get loads of practices due to distance between us, so when we do practice its to get everything down and tight, rather than learning from scratch. So any ideas i have, i write em into Guitar Pro with the rest of the song so the rest of my band can see how it fits and contributes, or if its just a basic idea so they can add their own parts to it and work ontop of it...
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by Mescalino
Smack them on the head and tie them down to a chair.

No serious, Bass is a vital part in a band. All bands in that have a minimum of 3 persons have Guitar, bass and drum. This is for a very good reason. By Ignoring you they show to me like they know little of being in a band.

Point out how important the bass is in a band and if they still wont listen (may sound harsh) find another band to play in. There is a shortage on bassplayers (everyone wants to 'be cool' with a guitar) and there are plenty of bands that can use a bassplayer and are willing to listen to his input. Being ignored in a band is to me the worse thing.

POWER TO THE BASS!!

+99999

Also, your sig is utterly awesome
just tell them to listen to the bass line you wrote, and try to get it developed. i think if its good enough then it will happen.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Try working out a basic guitar line to fit with it, and show the two together. Then, they can try to fit them to the bassline.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Now, alot of you are probably gonna not like hearing this, but it's the truth, at least, it's my oppinion.

It's because it's alot harder to hear what's being played on a bass, at least in a practice room situation.

Ask the guitarist if you can borrow their guitar to show them a song. as well as being a bassist, i'm a singer in another band, and whenever i want to show them something I've wrote, I borrow the guitarist's guitar.
sing aswell, the more complete the song is, the more they'll listen.
Last edited by jimRH7 at May 31, 2008,
Basslines don't have to be complex. Take songs like "I was made for loving you" from Kiss or "Thunderstruck" from AC|DC Very simple and basic basslines but they work great for those songs.
They dont need to listen only when you try and match Pastorius or Wooten or Claypool lvl but even when you do simple stuff. I think the two songs i mentioned wouldn't sound as good with complicated basslines.

If the band can't hear you they should have the decency to shut up and listen to what you play. You are a team in a band and not individuals who try to over impress each other.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I generally write out songs in Finale and show them the sheet music. I realize that in a rock band kind of situation that may not be the best thing to do. In your case I'd just show them the bassline and force them to try and write a song around it, or even better, learn guitar and them a part. It is much, MUCH harder for a guitarist to fit a part to a bassline than it is the other way around, which is probably why your guitarists ignore it. It's hard to get a big picture idea out of a bassline, but if you have an idea tell them to work with it. Maybe even tab something out if sheet music or singing or playing guitar isn't your thing.
Just tell them politely that you wana show them something, always works for me. But if there arrogant guitarists that believe they are Gods gift well.. I think you would be better off without them.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
A lot depends on the genre of music you play really. Most of the time, in modern rock music, it's the vocal melody that carries the song. If you have a clear vision for the song, pick up an acoustic guitar, play the chords and sing it so they have the general idea. I can see why they ignore you if you just say "hey guys here's a bassline I wrote". It's hard to write a song around the bassline, especially if it isn't anything special (which might be the case). If you don't sing/play guitar, just tab your ideas out in Guitar Pro or something.
Quote by theshroomman
hey guys, ive got an idea, heres a song i wrote etc..

really.
This. Also "hey, let me show you something" and "why don't we have a go at this"
Everyone has already given great advice here, but I do want to emphasize that band situations do need to be a collaborative effort in which everyone's ideas are a part of the effort. Again, communication issues seem to cause more problems in bands than anything else. And as bassists, we never seem to use the power of being a valuable commodity (less bass players than there are bands). I guess that makes us better people all round tho'.

I'm lucky--the guitarist I am playing with now really does keep the conversation up and running and we do alot of give and take. He's appreciative that he has a bass player to back him up in jazz and I'm appreciative of his decades of professional experience and his musical ear, and that he'll put up with what is my aggressive learning curve to back him up. And my drummer and I tend to collaborate well, because neither of us particularly likes sleeping on the couch at night.
If they prefer being part of the song, make them play the root chord to what you're playing until they come up with something. If your band is anything like me, they will prefer writing their own parts.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ive got it kinda easy in some ways because i play metal, so a lot of the time "here's my riff" will work for both bass and guitars. My guitarist and I write a lot together, but i usually save the more tricky bass stuff more under his riffs.

sometimes people just wont like your ideas, or wont get it when they hear it. either try to work out a guitar part in advance to show them, or just learn to be accepting when someone says "its cool man, but i dont really like it".
just quit the band nd find a new 1 that gives u respect cuz its just gonna get worse from here
I smack 'em around!

Nah, seriously I play what I've got and let them try to work something around it or I write a guitar part for them when I do a song (lazy gits).