Hey guys, I was just messing around and came up with a riff using these notes:

-G#/Ab
-C
-D#/Eb
-E
-F#

I was wondering if there is any scale that this may be written in? If so, then I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could tell me the scale.
G# phrygian dominant. Use over V chords (the major chord built of the fifth note of a scale) when the chord is played after or before an i chord (the minor chord built of the first note of the scale).
Quote by demonofthenight
G# phrygian dominant. Use over V chords (the major chord built of the fifth note of a scale) when the chord is played after or before an i chord (the minor chord built of the first note of the scale).

That's it! G# Phrygian Dominant, I can't believe I didn't think of it before considering how often I use the scale. Thanks a lot man!
yeap G# phrygian dominate

if you insert a C# and use it as the root, it'll be harmonic minor.
think of the C as the 7th of the harmonic minor

or it's even a part the G# major bebop

I keep doing aerlian with a b5 .lol
if i start from Bb
Last edited by Ordinary at May 31, 2008,
Absolutely nothing say that it must be G# Phrygian DOminant; it lacks a second which it rather important to the scale.

Soooooooo, it is either G# Mixolydian b6 or G# Phrygian dominant (or less likely, one of the relative modes). It will depend on the riff and the rest of the song.

And you've got to call that C note B#.
Quote by Ordinary
what do you mean... Bb neatral penta with an inserted b5 for kicks
Screw it; you're *reported* for spamming and consistant posting of misleading and inaccurate information.
what you mean..it's incomplete, it can be whatever as you say

I don't know what inversion or what he wants as the root
He say...what possiable scale those notes can fit in ?

what miss leasding information???, that you can solo modes over chords ??
That you can use F maj pentatonic over F maj when in the key of C ?
The last i check...if you do that...you're not going to hit any black keys
on the piano

there's a b6 and 3rd in the major bebop

You can do options note at different places of the pentatonic..not
just the b5

and what rules ???

I though music dosn't have any rules..just guidelines
Last edited by Ordinary at May 31, 2008,
^In all honesty Ordinary, your posts are really difficult to read (even worse than mine)and can be misinterpreted easily.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Screw it; you're *reported* for spamming and consistant posting of misleading and inaccurate information.

Thats a little harsh, sue. Not even ordinary deserves that.

And anyway, I dont think the b2 of the phyrgian dominant is a main part. The main note is the b6 which enables a minor i chord. The b2 is just there to keep the mode mostly diatonic (except for 1 note obviously). Regardless, I think phrygian dominant is used more over V chords than mixolydian b6.
Quote by Ordinary
what do you mean... Bb neatral penta with an inserted b5 for kicks

I'm not going to give you a warning, but you should be much more clear about what you're saying, because your posts in this thread are almost impossible to understand.

From what I can gather, you're saying that with these notes, you keep playing what you call "Bb aeolian with a b5". Your wording was confusing, though, and the idea that it comes from Bb is ultimately probably misleading for the threadstarter.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by demonofthenight
^In all honesty Ordinary, your posts are really difficult to read (even worse than mine)and can be misinterpreted easily....

Thats a little harsh, sue. Not even ordinary deserves that.

And anyway, I dont think the b2 of the phyrgian dominant is a main part. The main note is the b6 which enables a minor i chord. The b2 is just there to keep the mode mostly diatonic (except for 1 note obviously). Regardless, I think phrygian dominant is used more over V chords than mixolydian b6.

The b2 is the defining characteristic of the phrygian mode, mann
Hmm, I understand how the b2 is characteristic of the phrygian mode, and thus the riff may not necessarily be written in the Phrygian Dominant scale; however, at the moment I'm just looking for a few basic ideas. It is only something very rough I came up with recently, so all possibilities are welcome. I'm kind of looking for possible ideas where I could go next (and, yes I know music has no rules, but I'm not going to start playing D Major over it...) so what you guys have suggested so far is great - thanks a lot!
Tab or notation plox. Kthxbai.

Seriously though, until we know what you're doing with these notes, Ordinary may be right. The notes do fit Bb/A# "aerlian"(well really Bb/A# minor, seeings as aeolian by default excludes that E). C# harmonic or melodic minor, plus any of their modes also work. I can understand if you don't really want to show us your riff, but until then, all you get is this argument.