Page 1 of 4
Im interested to see whats the worst tones you've ever heard, either a sample, or the equipment used.
For me, it was at a show i played where another bands guitarist was using a Behringer Ultra metal pedal through a spider II half stack, but using the Insane channel with the drive off, and a epiphone les paul special. It was awful.

How about you?
It was hard to distinguish what tone was coming from where, as it was two guitars, but at a show I played one guitarist played some sort of Washburn through a Spider's insane channel and the other ran a Fender Starcaster (the plywood one you can get at Target) through my Mesa F30's clean channel, with what I think was a Digitech Death Metal pedal... I still feel bad for subjecting my amp to it.
guy plugged into a Spider III Beside me at GC and started playing Sweet Child o' Mine On a Telecasters bridge pickup, on the Insane Channel

it was dreadful.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
teh video of alexi laiho teaching some guy to do 3 string sweeps. god his tone was awful...the guy, not alexi.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
FoB recording tone in general, espically on "beat it" oh and if i heard correctly and they are redoing "walk" then its tone will fail
At a Battle of The Bands that I had joined last year, there was this one band who had a nice Parker Fly and the other I think was using a standard stratocaster.

Anycase though, the guy with the strat plugged in on a Squire 2 x 12 (or 2 x 10) amp to which he was wired through a Zoom pedal. The tone was small, trebly and worse of all... both of their sounds were in one way or another always squeeling everytime they stopped playing their instruments.

I could prolly say that the tone I get from my G7.1ut was better than the two of them combined.
Last edited by Archeo at May 31, 2008,
It was either an Ashton running through some crappy 15 watt samick, on distortion channel. Or my guitar running through a Fender (Frontman I think) but with awful eq for my music practical recently. Both channels sounded horrible.

Far to much treble on the clean, and not enough gain with the distortion, plus crappy eq, but I dunno what was wrong there.
reversed delay effect
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Guy at a cover gig I went to.

Using a Marshall TSL. I swear the settings went something like this:

Gain - OVER 9000!!!
Bass - 4
Mids - 0
Treble - 45862305763437596349563758
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
this guy i was in a "band" with at one point (meaning we played like 2 shows) had this really crappy amp. it was something that was around $200 and 120w, but i dont remember exactly what it was. i never heard the amps clean channel, and the eqing was aweful. he did have a nice guitar though (gibson SG), which made the amp sound that much worse because it could have been good.
Quote by Horlicks

I was gonna say either one Marshall MG video (which sounded even more terrible than any other MG video I've seen) or the Spider video where the guy had settings like "bass 0, middle 0, treble 10, gain 10" or something like that. But dude...

...you win.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Horlicks

Seconded. The guy probably isn't too bad if he had a decent tone and any sense of musicality...but ouch...just...ouch.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by schecter ftw
This one kid in Guitar Center...

BC Warlock
Line 6 Spider, Insane channel, all knobs on 10.

Soon after, the guy working at the front desk asked him to leave....

Lolz if it's true
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
My worst tone experienced was an Ibanez RG370 through a high end Orange Amp. I was shocked that an Ibanez could sound so lifeless, my RG321 started singing and crying after a few minor tweaks even on **** practise amps, but that. Don't buy indonesian Ibanezes
Quote by ironman1478
MAB's tone.

/thread

quote for freakin truth.
But, it's far better than firstacts plugged into bb blasters or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
No.. you guys are fool of it.

check the link in my sig..

I think this will automatically give everyone a new worst tone and we can call it /thread

heh, seriously.
^ Sorry, doesn't work for me. For some reason MySpace doesn't work for me, the videos/music just doesn't load (tried IE and Firefox).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by TechnicolorType
No.. you guys are fool of it.

check the link in my sig..

I think this will automatically give everyone a new worst tone and we can call it /thread

heh, seriously.

infamous local guitarist... i don't think his name actually is john, but everyone around here refers to him as johnny one note behind his back.

it was at a local festival. the stage had marshall tube amps setup already, he tweaked the settings on the marshall (high treble setting with no bass and very little mids), then connected his pod 2.0 into the input, and it seemed like he used the same EQ on the pod although i couldn't see his settings for that. It was unbelievably horrible. It sounded like that sound you get when you have dial up internet, and you take the phone off the hook and listen while you are connected to the internet. He was using a Fender american standard strat on the bridge pickup too... the most horrible sound i've ever heard coming from a strat. I can't even get a tone that bad if i try. Damn good luck it was outside so he couldn't damage anyones ears too badly with that horrible tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I would have to say the worst tone I've ever heard belongs to a guitarist I know who uses a cheap Dean V with a Dimebucker in the bridge, into a Dunlop Crybaby (more weh!weh! than wahwah) finally into an MG100DFX which he alway plays volume and gain at 10, treble and bass at 10, mids at 0.

That really was a tone from hell...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Marshall DSL 2000 with (dare I say it) one of my neobuckers. It was being tested at the local music shop by one of those people that always turned the gain,. bass and treble all the way up and the midrange went all the way down. Neobuckers have a cutting high end to begin with and with those EQ settings it was enough to make me want to cry.

The moral of the story is that it's not always your equipment that makes you sound like ass.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I would have to say the worst tone I've ever heard belongs to a guitarist I know who uses a cheap Dean V with a Dimebucker in the bridge, into a Dunlop Crybaby (more weh!weh! than wahwah) finally into an MG100DFX which he alway plays volume and gain at 10, treble and bass at 10, mids at 0.

That really was a tone from hell...

Eww.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by CorduroyEW
Marshall DSL 2000 with (dare I say it) one of my neobuckers. It was being tested at the local music shop by one of those people that always turned the gain,. bass and treble all the way up and the midrange went all the way down. Neobuckers have a cutting high end to begin with and with those EQ settings it was enough to make me want to cry.

The moral of the story is that it's not always your equipment that makes you sound like ass.

i think it was a TSL combo that "johnny one note" was using. he was using such good equipment (well, the pod was the weakest link, but its pretty good in itself), but managed to get such a massive pigwank tone.

the other horrible tone was in this XTC "tribute" band i saw in swindon. I think the idiot guitarist was using a yamaha 12-string through a distorted marshall AVT.. it sounded horrible. it sounded so much better when he broke a string and used a squier custom tele, but still bad, his settings must've been ****ty. the other guitarist sounded quite good, on the other hand, i think he used a hiwatt tube amp with a gibson SG and a roland guitar synth...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 31, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
without kidding, a cranked MG. with the treble up full.

now that was ear crushing.

I almost cried thinking about that.

Myself? Anal Cvnt's many "tones."
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by darkarbiter7
quote for freakin truth.
But, it's far better than firstacts plugged into bb blasters or something.

even that is better than his tone. he sounds like powertab
Quote by DiMeTiMe
"Synyster Gates" ( ) has a horrrible, ****ty tone...

I think you're mistaking his tone for his playing.
Quote by david_safc
I think you're mistaking his tone for his playing.

Can't we just agree he's... terrible!
As for me, my crappy MG10CD (god I was a noob) and my Digitech Grunge pedal. My new Korg Noise Gate makes the feedback bearable though.
Quote by maggot2011
Can't we just agree he's... terrible!
As for me, my crappy MG10CD (god I was a noob) and my Digitech Grunge pedal. My new Korg Noise Gate makes the feedback bearable though.

Could be worse atleast you didnt say MG10CD with a Metal Zone.... mother of god that would be nasty.... And enough feedback to drop birds out of the sky...
Quote by ironman1478
even that is better than his tone. he sounds like powertab

as sad as it is, powertab sounds better then half the tones listed in this topic lmao
Page 1 of 4