Ok here's the deal:

I got asked for a band that's pretty much just starting up. We (ShatterBrain) are a metal/punk band. But the problem is, the members of it aren't really experienced at their instruments...

I came in as bassist, but quickly got switched over to guitar, because the original guitarist finds playing bass easier (he has been playing guitar for a couple of months or something, don't know exactly). Also the drummer has no experience at all, this is his first time drumming. We're not exactly sure if we're goin to keep the set up this way, might switch around the instruments again later.

The singer and i find it appropriate to start off with some covers, but we need some songs with not too hard drumparts/basslines (well the basslines don't have to be extremely easy, caus i could always go back to playing bass)

My question to you is, do you know any songs that fit these criteria in the metal/punk genre?
Also, anything with screaming/grunting is cool too, since 3 of us can handle that stuff pretty well.

Thanks in advance,

T.
GEAR:
Ibanez SR605
Some 71' P-Bass
Orange Bass Terror 500 > Markbass 4x10
Quote by Never_Been_Me
Ok here's the deal:

I got asked for a band that's pretty much just starting up. We (ShatterBrain) are a metal/punk band. But the problem is, the members of it aren't really experienced at their instruments...

I came in as bassist, but quickly got switched over to guitar, because the original guitarist finds playing bass easier (he has been playing guitar for a couple of months or something, don't know exactly). Also the drummer has no experience at all, this is his first time drumming. We're not exactly sure if we're goin to keep the set up this way, might switch around the instruments again later.

The singer and i find it appropriate to start off with some covers, but we need some songs with not too hard drumparts/basslines (well the basslines don't have to be extremely easy, caus i could always go back to playing bass)

My question to you is, do you know any songs that fit these criteria in the metal/punk genre?
Also, anything with screaming/grunting is cool too, since 3 of us can handle that stuff pretty well.

Thanks in advance,

T.

Basicaly anything by the Ramones, especialy their earlier stuff, would fit that criteria. They did a song called 'I Wanna Be Sedated' that even has a guitar solo that only has one note in it.
green day? theyre punk, and very easy. muse...if u can do songs that dont need too many effects and stuff...altho id hardly class them as punk. =S. mindless self indulgence songs are pretty easy too. dunno about anything with screaming or anything in it that's easy enough for you to play.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
ewww not green day

if u wanna go down that line do blink182

but theyre not shouty or metally

minor threat? easy, has all powerchords, vocals pretty shouted
at 2 months of playing guitar they shud be no problem
drums are fast, but simple
Quote by adr11iano
ewww not green day

if u wanna go down that line do blink182

but theyre not shouty or metally

minor threat? easy, has all powerchords, vocals pretty shouted
at 2 months of playing guitar they shud be no problem
drums are fast, but simple

and you said ewww to green day?!?!?!!?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
thx for the suggestions

the biggest problem atm is the drums, caus my guitar playing is proper (about 2 years) and the dude on bass is a fast learner. So we need stuff with some basic drum patterns.
It sucks that the dude has no drumkit at home, the guy can only really practise his drummng at bandpractise, which is twice a week..
GEAR:
Ibanez SR605
Some 71' P-Bass
Orange Bass Terror 500 > Markbass 4x10
You could always use the tried and tested approach that many punk and metal bands did in the 70s which was to take standard 3 chord rock 'n' roll songs from the 50s like 'Johnny B. Goode' or 'Great Balls of Fire' and rev the nuts out of them. Play 'em twice as fast and add loads of distortion, it works, I know because I've done it myself when I was first starting out.
1) iron man by black sabbath
2) smoke on the water by deep purple (if you find that to easy try the soulfly version)
3) thunderstruck by AC/DC
4) The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
5) enter the sandman by metalica
6) mother by danzing
7) blitzkrieg pop by the ramones

There is 7 so you can learn all of them then switch them around in gig's so that all your gigs arent the same or if you cant play 1 you can try a different one

after everyone can play it replay it till you all can play it perfectly and can play it in there sleep(Litteraly)
Agreeing with some of the earlier posts I heavily support covering the Ramones and Minor Threat.

You may also want to try some songs by the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Black Flag.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.