This might sound a little nooby, but...have any of you ever injured your hand/fingers ect as a result of playing too much guitar? if so how long did it take for the pain to stop, and how serious was it?

I've been playing guitar for at least 5 hours a day for the past week now, and my left hand (im a right-handed guitar player, so my fretting hand) is starting so hurt slightly when i stretch it into certain positions.

I don't want to stop playing, but i don't want to injure my hand any more.
Any tips on reducing the pain, or stopping it overall?

Thanks.
stop stretching your fingers into the positions that hurt them and stick to what your fingers can handle..for now! then when they are better..go for it!
I got Carpel Tunnel Syndrome,was very painful
Just had to change my wrist position and didnt get it again so watch out for that
But yeah listen to the guy above
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
It's just your finger muscles growing. I know it sounds weird, but it is just like if you were lifting weights and the next day your arm muscles hurt. At least that is what I'm assuming. You might try stretching your fingers a bit before you play, or giving it a day off. (I know it's hard, but just only play for 2 hours instead of 5 or something.) It will go away soon, your hands are just becoming jacked haha. If you keep it up you will probably also notice veins popping out of the top of your hands and possibly wrists. Just buildin' muscles.

Although, it could actually be something serious depending on your posture and hand positioning. If you are playing in some unusual way then I would just stop playing that way haha. But I'm almost positive it is just muscle growth.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
hmm... thanks guys, I think i'll just try and find a position in which the pain stops :P
also, to the guy that got carpel tunnel syndrome, how long did it last and how did you treat it?
sorry i can't remember your name lol.
^ I don't want this to seem insulting... you said a lot of good stuff there, but almost nobody's going to listen to it because you wrote it like a kid on the internet.

Frankly, he's right though. Most hand pains that aren't continual after you stop are muscle pains from over use (this can get incredibly sever also, I had to stop playing for around two months just to a muscle injury on the side of my hand, once upon a time). If it happens while you're stretching, it's probably over-stretching the muscles. Give your hands a few days rest from anything very strenuous, but keep playing -- there's risk of tearing muscles, ligaments, or tendons, if you over exert exhausted muscles.

Flexibility is in the connective tissue and muscles, not in the joints. Pain while flexing indicates that there's something not right, and you just need to back off for a little so that it can heal up. You tendons and ligaments are exactly like muscles in that regard, once they get worked to a certain point they're starting to fail, and it hurts to use them. They need rest.

The pains you really need to worry about are the ones where you realize "Oh, I can't use my hand normally." Or, "Oh god, it ****ing hurts in my elbow." Pain originating in your hand, and displaced or extending out to other areas is a sign that something is very very wrong.

Localized pain in a finger or joint when you're using it extremely is an indication that you're just overdoing it.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Corwinoid
^ I don't want this to seem insulting... you said a lot of good stuff there, but almost nobody's going to listen to it because you wrote it like a kid on the internet.

Frankly, he's right though. Most hand pains that aren't continual after you stop are muscle pains from over use (this can get incredibly sever also, I had to stop playing for around two months just to a muscle injury on the side of my hand, once upon a time). If it happens while you're stretching, it's probably over-stretching the muscles. Give your hands a few days rest from anything very strenuous, but keep playing -- there's risk of tearing muscles, ligaments, or tendons, if you over exert exhausted muscles.

Flexibility is in the connective tissue and muscles, not in the joints. Pain while flexing indicates that there's something not right, and you just need to back off for a little so that it can heal up. You tendons and ligaments are exactly like muscles in that regard, once they get worked to a certain point they're starting to fail, and it hurts to use them. They need rest.

The pains you really need to worry about are the ones where you realize "Oh, I can't use my hand normally." Or, "Oh god, it ****ing hurts in my elbow." Pain originating in your hand, and displaced or extending out to other areas is a sign that something is very very wrong.

Localized pain in a finger or joint when you're using it extremely is an indication that you're just overdoing it.

Well, thanks for the information and advice, thats really cleared up a few worries i was having.
Also, i will remember to try not to sound like a 'kid on the internet' in future, no offence taken by the way.
You actually posted while I was typing, the "kid on the internet" thing was for atc. He said a lot of the same things I did...

re: carpal tunnel... it never goes away on its own. CTS is caused by muscles growing faster than the bone expands (it doesn't), and putting pressure on the median nerve through the wrist -- it's exacerbated by certain wrist positions, causing the nerve to rub against the tunnel, which is why fixing your hand position alleviates the pain. This, btw, is the "OMG it hurts in my elbow" pain I was referring to... when that nerve flares up, it's a sensation something akin to having a pin driven from the tip of your middle finger into your elbow. The intensity varies, anywhere from a slight tingle to feeling like your slamming your funny bone on something repeatedly.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Last edited by Corwinoid at May 31, 2008,
I went for a stint with something like Saturday Night Palsy, basically nerves pinch because of extended periods of poor hand positioning, you'll want to avoid this.
I've got carpal tunnel syndrome, my op is this friday. I also have five pea sized growths in a circle at the base of my hand/top of my wrist. I'm crapping myself about the operation but I need it because without my hand I'm unable to work and I have a mortgage and bills to pay.
I didnt get mine through bad posture I got mine through over exertion, plus apparently its more common in women. You should always take breaks and if you feel discomfort in your hand/fingers/forearm always take a break cause if you ignore it it just gets worse. Right now I have hardly any feeling in my thumb and tingling in my index and middle finger and if I use my hand for anything other than small tasks I get shooting pains and a horrible pins and needles sensation.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk