ok so ive been trying to get pinch harmonics down and have seen videos on how to do them and have tried them out and can kinda get them but they don't sound nearly as good as the ones i hear from other people. i am beginning to think it might be my pick ups as they are not very good and just came stock on my ibanez. im considering getting some emgs. will the pick ups i get make a difference in the sound of my pinch harmonics, or am i just not doing them right?

thanks for the help
This should help alot. Watch this instruction vido carefully, and you should be able to play pinch harmonics in no time.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-012-PinchHarmonics.php

Dont forget that a good vibrato also helps to carry the pinch harmonic. So IF you dont succeed, maybe you should practice your vibrato.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
no, i can get pinch harmonics (kinda) on an acoustic. its all in technique. what i usually do which is a little different, instead of picking the string normal, or trying a slight palm mute, or however people do it, i just rub the pick against the string, like kinda picking at an extreme angle, and hold out my thumb all the way and graze it with my thumb as im picking.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I can get screaming pinch harmonics out of an ES-335 semi hollow copy, just as I can with a Schecter C-1 classic or jackson RR 5. It's partially that I've developed my technique to that point that I can hit them easily, but the fact that I'm always using some amount of gain when I try them also improves things. Active pickups will probably make it easier, but I can't say that they will make it sound better than it currently sounds. Work on finding the right locations to pick at, your probably picking just a tiny bit too low or too high above the natural harmonic around your pickups.

if you post a clip or something we might be able to point out exactly what your doing right/ wrong.
No, although that a high output pickup will pick them up easier. But actually, its all about technique. If you do it right, every pickup (even low output single coils) will squeel like a little piggy.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I won't say they have nothing to do with it, but there are more important factors. Those are
1. Technique (both the right hand itself and WHERE your picking)
2. Lots of gain when your starting out
3. Vibrato can help

Stick with the technique and start throwing it into licks the instant you start to get a hang of it and you'll master it in no time. That's all I did.