Page 1 of 2
I was thinking of buying one of these guitars, but don't know which is better value or quality, ect.
I know people say you should always try before you buy, and i've tried the 2550E, but nowhere i know of has the JEM555 in stock.

So, thats why i'm looking to you guys, in the hope you could offer me some half decent advice.

Here are a few stats on each guitar;

Ibanez RG2550E-GK

£649.00 + delivery

3pc Wizard neck
Basswood body
Jumbo frets
Edge Pro bridge
DiMarzio® IBZ-N (H) neck pickup
DiMarzio® IBZ-S (S) mid pickup
DiMarzio® IBZ-B (H) bridge pickup
Including Rectangular Black Ibanez Case.

Ibanez JEM555-BK

£699.00 + delivery

Contoured basswood body with 24-fret Prestige JEM neck provides easy access to all registers.
Deep routed tremolo cavities allow pitches to be lowered or raised.
Vais choice of specific DiMarzio¨ pickups for each model and combined with Ibanez Split-5 wiring provide incredible tonal versatility.

JEM neck
Basswood body
Jumbo frets
Edge Pro II bridge
DiMarzio Evolution (H) neck pu
DiMarzio Evolution (S) mid pu
DiMarzio Evolution (H) bridge pu
Contoured basswood body with a 24-fret JEM neck provides easy access to all registers.
Deep routed tremolo cavities allow the pitch to be lowered or raised by as much as a fifth.
Vais choice of specific DiMarzio pickups for each model, combined with Ibanez Split-5 wiring for incredible tonal versatility.
Newly designed Ibanez EDGE PRO II tremolo double locking tremolo.

Right now, i'm in favour of the RG2550, but like i said, i'm not sure.

Thanks.
RG.
Low end JEMS suck even more than other ibanez'es.
High end RG's are way better then any JEM imo.

But if you really want my opinion: dont buy an ibanez. There is better out there.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
RG.

But if you really want my opinion: dont buy an ibanez. There is better out there.

Hey, thanks for the advice!
When you say there is better out there, can you give any examples?
there is always Jackson and ESP for metal needs, if you don't go with Ibanez.
the ibanez prestige models are very good guitars. you can find no flaw, or very unnoticeable one. i believe the RG2550 is a prestige model. i'd say go for the RG2550. the Edge Pro trem is, if not one of, the ibanezs best locking trems. there are also other great guitar companies. try looking into schecter or esp.
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by LP_CL
RG.

ibanez prestige series is amazing, what are you talking about? and there is always better out there, there are more and more amazing gutiars made everyday. i like ibanez, i dont like jackson, i like ESP, i like gibsons, i like fenders, i like gutiars. if he wants an ibanez, dont try and talk him out of it
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by deltacross
the ibanez prestige models are very good guitars. you can find no flaw, or very unnoticeable one. i believe the RG2550 is a prestige model. i'd say go for the RG2550. the Edge Pro trem is, if not one of, the ibanezs best locking trems. there are also other great guitar companies. try looking into schecter or esp.

+1
HiMyNameIsMatt
Go for the RG2550.

You can change the pickups later on if you want.
yeah i think if it was between the two, i would def. get the 2550, although i will look into some schecter or esp models, thanks.
Quote by ~*Tutty*~
Hey, thanks for the advice!
When you say there is better out there, can you give any examples?

Jackson, ESP, Mayones, caparison, Musicman, Carvin, ...
imo, these all are alot better then ibanez.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I have the new 2550z and I absolutely recommend it. It plays amazingly well and although I will likely eventually switch out the pickups, they are really not nearly as bad as you may hear they are. I vote 2550e
Hagstrom Viking, Peavey XXX Super 40, Marshall 1960a Cab
The JEM555 is just a kitted out Korean RG; it has the Edge III trem, less than half of the vine inlay and it doesn't have Prestige quality. The headstock says Jem Jr. for a reason...

Unless you're an absolute Vai fanboy and you don't care about the fact that the guitar is several hundred bucks overpriced, don't do it.

The RG2550E on the other hand has excellent value for money and it's Prestige.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at May 31, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL

Not really better, they're all about as good as each other, although the RG prestige is arguably a fair bit better than an equivalent priced LTD. Carvins are few and far between in the UK and Caparisons start from a grand.

An MIJ Ibanez is about as good as it gets as far as QC goes.

The Jem 555 is wank, steer clear
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really better, they're all about as good as each other, although the RG prestige is arguably a fair bit better than an equivalent priced LTD. Carvins are few and far between in the UK and Caparisons start from a grand.

An MIJ Ibanez is about as good as it gets as far as QC goes.

The Jem 555 is wank, steer clear

I played an M1000 and I would say its close if not better then the 2550 IMO, OFR as opposed to the Ibanez bridge which I'd say is a tie depending on what you like in a bridge, pikcups advantage go to the ltd IF you enjoy active pups, but the rest is all up to the user, Ibanez necks for me personally are the shred neck to go for, I really enjoy them, but its all preference, try to play if possible man...gl
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The JEM555 is just a kitted out Korean RG; it has the Edge III trem, less than half of the vine inlay and it doesn't have Prestige quality. The headstock says Jem Jr. for a reason...

Unless you're an absolute Vai fanboy and you don't care about the fact that the guitar is several hundred bucks overpriced, don't do it.

The RG2550E on the other hand has excellent value for money and it's Prestige.

+1

also, if you're willing to switch pickups, the rg1570 might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LP_CL

Hell no. None of those match the wizard neck. I have tried all of those, except for the mayones brand.

I have an OFR myself on my RG. But the Edge bridges are better.
Out of those brands, I would take a jackson soloist over any ESP, Caparison, Musicman, or Carvin. Yet I would still take an rg over the USA soloist. It feels so much faster. As for the other brands, they are not even close.
Personally, I'd take a J-Custom RG or indeed another real (ie, not a 555) JEM over just about any other super-strat styled guitar, with the possible exception of a Suhr Standard or Modern. But that would cost you twice as much.

Threadstarter, of the two, the prestige RG is the much better option.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by nyandres
Yet I would still take an rg over the USA soloist. It feels so much faster. As for the other brands, they are not even close.

This proves you're nuts. No RG can compete a USA soloist. This might be a personal preference, but man, theres such a great quality difference that you just might be nuts.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
This proves you're nuts. No RG can compete a USA soloist. This might be a personal preference, but man, theres such a great quality difference that you just might be nuts.

A J-Custom RG8470A sure as hell can.
Well, thats a J-custom, and there are only 26 made. I dont think you have one, and i dont think you ever played one. So how the hell can you know if its a better playing and sounding guitar than the Jackson.
On the other side, i didnt think about that guitar either when i wrote that statement, and i must say that it very well can be that that J-Custom RG8470A could be a very fine instrument indeed, and maybe better then the Jackson. I never held one in my hands.
What i ment with the statement is that there is no high production RG (not custom made ones) that can beat a USA soloist.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Well, thats a J-custom, and there are only 26 made. I dont think you have one, and i dont think you ever played one. So how the hell can you know if its a better playing and sounding guitar than the Jackson.
On the other side, i didnt think about that guitar either when i wrote that statement, and i must say that it very well can be that that J-Custom RG8470A could be a very fine instrument indeed, and maybe better then the Jackson. I never held one in my hands.
What i ment with the statement is that there is no high production RG (not custom made ones) that can beat a USA soloist.

I've played an 8470, essentially the same but without a 5A flamed top, and that is in production. I can assume the 8470A plays at least as well no?

I've played USA soloists, the J-Custom was in my opinion, a better crafted, better sounding and better playing guitar.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at May 31, 2008,
^ i've tried several j-customs versus USA jacksons, and I agree, they felt higher quality (at least at the time I tried them).

Quote by thedonutman
The JEM is just a RG350 with Evos and a cheesy half vine.

Get the RG.

haha, short, succinct, and true.

Quote by LP_CL

you better have a damn good reason for calling into question the integrity of one of the most respected long term members of the electric guitar forum, sonny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's true. it gets annoying when a jonny-come-lately says he doesn't believe that a long time member like you hasn't tried something...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's true. it gets annoying when a jonny-come-lately says he doesn't believe that a long time member like you hasn't tried something...

Eh, I suppose I brought it on myself, spending most of the last year offline. Nobody knows who I am anymore, and I was taken off the who to listen to lists even before I left (never quite knew why).
i didn't even notice you'd been taken off... I guess they were just trying to streamline things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the 2550 is an awesome guitar. between the lower end jem and the 2550, definitely the 2550.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Out of those two, the 2550. Though you might consider a 1570 with a pickup change; they have the same high quality bridge etc.
Yeah, the 1570 is just a back-routed 2550 with different pickups. It's cheaper and if you're going to change the pickups anyway and don't care about whether it's front or back routed.
Quote by LP_CL

Jackson and ESP in that price range are definitely not better than Ibanez, and the other brands are very much more expensive, but are better made guitars overall.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Prophet of Page
Eh, I suppose I brought it on myself, spending most of the last year offline. Nobody knows who I am anymore, and I was taken off the who to listen to lists even before I left (never quite knew why).

well i didnt know who you were, now i do, mental note. and if anyone is sayin **** online, let them. all of this, all of UG, its virtual, one virus and its all gone. if you spent a while building up a reputation online, good for you, i respect that, but this other dude, hes probably mad because he only has a epiphone SG 400. i saw your from ireland, where about? i have family in county cork
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by LP_CL

RG's are just as good as USA soloists. try one you will be surprised. i like the soloist a lot but i dont stick to just one model of one brand. you gotta be open to other guitars
Quote by ironman1478
RG's are just as good as USA soloists. try one you will be surprised. i like the soloist a lot but i dont stick to just one model of one brand. you gotta be open to other guitars

I had a RG1570 prestige for 5 years. It sucked compared to my SL2H.
And ok, there might be some top end exclusive RGs out there that can compete with Jackson USA's, but most of the RG's are not even in the same league. So the statement that someone would pick 'an RG' over a soloist any day, is quite remarkable. That was my point.

^^ i dont even have a G400, so why do you say that?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
As everyone has said go for the Ibanez RG2550E.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Furthermore I would take any RG neckthrough over the USA soloist. The KOREAN, yes Korean, after the hardware, and pickup, mods, is something I would take over the soloist, except for the fact that having a soloist guitar made in the USA is cooler. But RGs do feel better for me. THe necks are faster, and the neckthroughs especially are cut rather well to provide access, which some brands like shectre are not doing. The body also susains longer, and is more comfortable. You have not tried a quality RG yet. The pickups, and hardware can be changed. The neck, and body, and all woodwork cannot. Im comparing the feel alone, and the sound after pickup change. The RG destroys it. If we were speaking of sound stock, I would have said shecter, in spite of how I hae their feel.
Page 1 of 2