I've played JEMs and I absolutely love them. The necks are so smooth and fast...and the Dimarzios are absolutely amazing for pinch harmonics and such. But considering the cheapest I've been able to find one is about $1900, I want to be absolutely sure it's what I want before I dump all my money on it.

My current guitar is a Jackson DKMGTFF, which is a solid instrument but the neck and overall feel are just clunky compared to a JEM. However, I've heard a lot of good things about the higher-end Soloists, especially the SL-3. The problem is I can't find any at stores in my area.

My two questions are: How similar are the JEM and SL-3? What's the main difference in feel and tone, other than the cosmetics? Bear in mind I play rock and metal (Dream Theater, Metallica, Opeth, etc).
Last edited by flame843 at May 31, 2008,
If you're willing to spend 1900$, go for a USA SL2H (used?). Try one, and you will find the JEM a nightmare.

I'd also choose the SL3 above the JEM any day.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Search carefully and you can find an SL-1 (forget what everyone says about the SL-2) for less than $1000 on the used market. It plays as nice or better than a Jem, depending on your tastes.
i think you should go get a les paul, i have played both guitars, the most expensive ibanez that is worth getting and is still a good guitar that dosent leave you with a ripped-off feeling is $900USD. and personally, i dont like jackson. les pauls can give you almost any sound you want, and you have so many options with them (youll have less if you have around $2000). thats just my input
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by tanman
Search carefully and you can find an SL-1 (forget what everyone says about the SL-2) for less than $1000 on the used market. It plays as nice or better than a Jem, depending on your tastes.

what do you mean with 'forget what everyone says about the SL-2?
And i think that you wont find a SL1 under 1000 tbh. They are 2300 new, if you want a seethru finish with flametop.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by surge666
i think you should go get a les paul, i have played both guitars, the most expensive ibanez that is worth getting and is still a good guitar that dosent leave you with a ripped-off feeling is $900USD. and personally, i dont like jackson. les pauls can give you almost any sound you want, and you have so many options with them (youll have less if you have around $2000). thats just my input

Les Paul necks are not as fast.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by surge666

I hope you realize that a Les Paul neck is a tree trunk compared to an Ibanez or Jackson neck.
Quote by surge666

Did you even read his post? He said that his Jackson's neck felt clunky. Compared to most Jackson's, a Les Paul has a log for a neck, not to mention that their balance (body wise) is annoying to get used to. Also, for the typre of music he is playing, a Les Paul just doesn't have the features most players want.

On topic: I'd go for a JEM. Having played both Soloists and JEMs, I found that I liked the tone of a JEM much better for soloing, although you could buy a Solist and put in Evolutions to make it sound basically the same.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by surge666

He said he doesn't want a guitar with a clunky feel.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I wasn't the only one to comment on that post.
Well I would personally go with the jackson, jems are great, too.
maybe look into an rg1570 with pickup swap? might be closer in feel and sound to a jem than a soloist (though soloists are nice guitars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?