Right, I keep reading in magazines and FAQs that if you want to play rock music, you should obviously start on electric. Now, these are by experienced guitarists, like you lot. I only have an acoustic, but I wan't to learn rock music, and acoustic is getting me NOWHERE. My Dad keeps saying I've got to master acoustic first, but that I think is a load of bollocks, and I doubt he'll change his mind if I show him FAQs by proper guitarists. Every time I say that I really want to learn electric, he yells and says that I should be grateful for my acoustic, and that I should master acoustic first.

All my friends keep telling me to get an electric, and I am getting NOWHERE learning acoustic, for the simple fact I'm not learning any songs I want to. I keep getting taught songs I don't even know, by artists who I've never heard off. I doubt I'm going to get anywhere soon - I need some help persuading him, so any ideas?
Um, thing is, it will be exactly the same when learning electric. A guitar is a guitar - the basics are the same. Usually if you can play one, you can play the other so seriously, i would stick with acoustic until you learn a few songs perfectly, then move onto electric.
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
I got that when I started.
Just play on the acoustic. Won't sound as good, and will be hard, but a guitar is a guitar.
And if you're anything like me, you'll someday wish you had a decent acoustic.
if your still quite a beginner, then stick with it for the moment. everyone really should know acoustic basics no matter what style they want to play, itl make you a better player in the end

also does he know jack **** about guitars? if so inform him of this fact, i use this on my parents when i get funny looks about buying more gear
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Tenacious D rule, I know.

Altogether though, a list of songs I can play:
Karate
Classico
Kickapoo
Kielbasa
Smoke on the Water
Smells Like Teen Spirit
In Bloom
Stairway to Heaven INTRO

and a Stereophonics song my teacher won't tell me the name of, as well as a whole bunch of random easy ones I have never heard of. ¬_¬
-

I think that's decent, but he just says well done, despite the fact the solo of Smells Like Teen Spirit sounds like ****.
Last edited by Oh Shize at May 31, 2008,
Kinda funny, I started out on an electric trying to play acoustic songs. In my experience, you can play rock on an acoustic and get by (especially if its an electric acoustic and if you aren't doing much soloing), but not vice-versa. I know what its like to not be able to make the sound you want with your guitar though. I would suggest asking him if you could get a cheap beginner electric pack, then once you show him how much better that is in comparison and grow as a guitarist, you might be able to get a better electric.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
The thing is, you need to tell us where you are at skillwise. You could be really bad and not even know just because you are too arrogant, in which case the best thing to do would be to stick with acoustic until you are "good".
The acoustic guitar is what really prepares you for electric. Everything on electric is easier because the strings are thinner and easier to slide on, it's not something to "learn" on.
That sounds like a good idea.
To be completely honest, I don't give a **** what the electric guitar is, I just want one. xD It could be pink with hello kitty all over it for all I care. xD

EDIT: Please don't call me arrogant. =/ What have I done other than listing songs that would come across as arrogant?

EDIT: WAIT my bad, you didn't call me arrogant xD. Sorry I misread. Where I am skillwise I would still say beginner, since the Nirvana songs I listed I will usually make at least one mistake in. xD

But I gather that you guys must be right, you're all better than I am. I guess I'll stick to acoustic then. xD thanks anyway.
Last edited by Oh Shize at May 31, 2008,
Quote by Oh Shize
Right, I keep reading in magazines and FAQs that if you want to play rock music, you should obviously start on electric. Now, these are by experienced guitarists, like you lot. I only have an acoustic, but I wan't to learn rock music, and acoustic is getting me NOWHERE. My Dad keeps saying I've got to master acoustic first, but that I think is a load of bollocks, and I doubt he'll change his mind if I show him FAQs by proper guitarists. Every time I say that I really want to learn electric, he yells and says that I should be grateful for my acoustic, and that I should master acoustic first.

All my friends keep telling me to get an electric, and I am getting NOWHERE learning acoustic, for the simple fact I'm not learning any songs I want to. I keep getting taught songs I don't even know, by artists who I've never heard off. I doubt I'm going to get anywhere soon - I need some help persuading him, so any ideas?

The bit about HAVING to learn on acoustic first is, indeed bollocks.

However...

....that's what you've got so deal with it, and he's right, you should be grateful. If you throw a hissy fit about it then your dad's certainly not going to shell out for an electric for you. As far as learning stuff you don't know, tough titty...the basics are the basics like edgespear said. You have to do a fair few months of boring stuff until you're in a position to learn more interesting things, that's just the way it goes when you learn any instrument. The fact that its an acoustic isn't holding you back, you've already decided you're not going to get anywhere with it so you aren't trying.

Bottom line is you can't pick and choose with the guitar, not at first - if you had an electric you'd still need to learn the same boring stuff. If you don't have the patience or dedication to work hard at that stuff to ensure you progress then why should you get an electric guitar? You should just welcome the fact that you're increasing your musical horizons so early on, it'll set you up for being a better player in the long run. A good trick is to make the effort to learn a song that your dad knows or likes...that always goes down well and earns much brownie points.

Unless it's crap like Simply Red, in which case you're sh1t out of luck I'm afraid.

So basically put up and shut up. If you show an aptitude for the instrument, and more importantly a commitment to learning, then you'll get your electric eventually. If you just act like a spoilt kid who wants everything now then I'm afraid it's back to Guitar Hero for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 31, 2008,
Jesus, I just said that I thought acoustic was best to start on after the other less rude advice. I appreciate the help, but you don't have to be so harsh. I don't throw 'hissy fits' or act spoilt. I just thought he was wrong, but clearly I was! I know the basics, I learnt them ages ago when I was still on classical.

But I guess despite you were the most harsh, you were probably most helpful. But as aformentioned, I think you're all right, acoustic is best. If I try harder, he'll probably get me an electric. I just don't think that my Dad saying 'master the guitar before electric' is strictly true. Master pretty much means everything when he isn't specific.

Anyhoo, acoustic it is. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Quote by Pyrest
What drugs are you on?

+1
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Acoustic builds up more finger strength then electric does.

That way when you switch to electric guess what? Yep, it'll be easy to play compared to acoustic.
Quote by Oh Shize
Jesus, I just said that I thought acoustic was best to start on after the other less rude advice. I appreciate the help, but you don't have to be so harsh. I don't throw 'hissy fits' or act spoilt. I just thought he was wrong, but clearly I was! I know the basics, I learnt them ages ago when I was still on classical.

But I guess despite you were the most harsh, you were probably most helpful. But as aformentioned, I think you're all right, acoustic is best. If I try harder, he'll probably get me an electric. I just don't think that my Dad saying 'master the guitar before electric' is strictly true. Master pretty much means everything when he isn't specific.

Anyhoo, acoustic it is. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I wasn't necessarily talkling about you specifically, it was more a hypothetical, "worst case" scenario

However, it's worth bearing in mind because it could be the way your dad interprets what you percieve to be perfectly reasonable requests...dads are like that

And in case you didn't notice, I did say that your dad was talking bollocks, if someone is inspired by electric music then they're better off starting with electric. Dad's do not respond well to challenges to their authority, so the best way is to be smarter than him. Tell him you completely understand where he's coming from and how much sense he's making, then ask him for some ideas for songs to learn too...by demonstrating that commitment to learning his way he'll be more willing to encourage you and chances are you'll get your electric sooner rather than later.

Once you've got it, well, do whatever the f*ck you want

Just take that awful Behringer pedal off your wishlist and reconsider the Crush, a Roland Cube is a much better bet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ze_Metal
Acoustic builds up more finger strength then electric does.

That way when you switch to electric guess what? Yep, it'll be easy to play compared to acoustic.

yeah i agree with you. i started out with an acoustic and my parents wouldnt let me get an electric guitar until i got good. and look at me now i have an Ibanez RG and a Fender stratocaster.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
The thing is, you need to tell us where you are at skillwise. You could be really bad and not even know just because you are too arrogant, in which case the best thing to do would be to stick with acoustic until you are "good".
The acoustic guitar is what really prepares you for electric. Everything on electric is easier because the strings are thinner and easier to slide on, it's not something to "learn" on.

I DEFINATELY AGREE^^^^
learn babe im gonna leave you by led zeppelin, if u r a beginner it might get u interested in accoustic.. i play both guitars and each has its goods.. i dont agree with ur dad tho it wont be easy to switch to the electric so i'd go get a summer job and by an electric myself =))
Quote by Pyrest
What drugs are you on?

The ones you wish you could afford. lmao jkjk

i dunno i like tenacious d.