Ok so im gonna start practicing my scales! One thing that confuses me is the root note. When u play a scale ascending (6th string to 1st string) u start at the root note on the the 6 string in my case G major scale, u start on the 3rd fret 6th string this is where i get confused do u end the scale on the root note on the 1st string? Meaning the 3rd fret on the 1st string? I know my notes on the guitar but on

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=3&scch=G&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&choice=1

It tells me to play the F# then the G Then A
Should i play F# then A then G?

Or should i play it how it says and go back up to the low E and end the scale there?
if ur just playing it in one octave, from G to G, end on the next G you come across. in this case, the 5th fret on the D string.

so ur just gonna play the 7 notes (actually 8)- G A B C D E F# G.

theres your scale. once you want to be able to play it all over the fretboard, the best advice i have is to map it out on a piece of paper. draw the nexk and everywhere you can play it on. this will help you memorize the intervals (in the case of majors is whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half) which is ultimately what you should do to be able to play any scale at any time as long as you have the root note.

that was probably alot more info than u wanted but it should help alot in the long run.
Last edited by Soadfan8 at May 31, 2008,
Depending on which scale you're playing it very well might go higher than two octaves above the root. Play it as it says, that's the correct way.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but as far as im concerned, for the major scale you ALWAYS start on the lowest root note, then play up to the highest note. Then play down to the lowest note, then once again ascend to the lowest root note and stop there.

That way you can here the "Do Re Mi Fa So La Te Do" The Do would be your root, then you end on your root. Start on root, and finish on root.

Since the scale repeats in a position, you'll have octaves which means there will be more then one root note. So whenever you land on a G note the Do Re Mi will repeat.

Hopefully this makes sense, or I answered your question. If I didn't can you explain more clearly?