My friend has a cheap washburn guitar, but reality is he is just trying to learn on it before making a bigger purchase, it doesn't have a floyd but it has a traditional strat style bridge, how would you recommend blocking it so it isn't an issue for tuning stability
measure the distance between the bridge and the surrounding wood, and find a piece of wood to plug it. you often may need to sand the block to fit snugly. make sure that the bridge is flat when blocked, and that there is maximum contact of bridge-to-block-to-guitar.

the best way is to block it "down", such that the bridge can't pull up. then you put 5 springs on the bridge and viola! you have a hard tail bridge!
Loosen the strings, then take the backplate off if it's a Strat-style guitar.

Put 5 springs onto the trem in total, and tighten the screws that hold the trem to the body.

You could also stick a block of wood between the bridge block and the cavity wall.
9 volt battery, thats what steve vai uses, if it's good enough for him , it should be good enough for anyone :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I just did this yesterday to a cheap old Ibanez with a strat-style trem First off, I tightened the claw that anchors the springs. Then I took a Dremel tool to a piece of leftover hickory floorboard to make a wedge, and got it wedged in there tight. Already my guitar seems to sustain and hold tune better.
So then does it work like a hardtail in terms of switching tunings that it should stay?
Quote by d_byrne23
So then does it work like a hardtail in terms of switching tunings that it should stay?

If it's blocked well enough.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack