Page 1 of 2
Hi

You will have seen from my other thread that I was offered a Marshall Vintage modern - in order to get the tone I was after. Basically Slash's tone.

After the deal fell through, I have being using the search button and it appears unless you get a used JCM800 or jubilee then the best way to get his tone is to actually not use a Marshall.

I have tried ebay and there is only one JCM on it at the moment and its £700. More than I want to spend - so I might as well get a new amp.

So this seems to be what gets recommended every time someone asks for Slash's tone:

Peavey Classic 30
Orange Rocker 30 ( I presume either a head or a combo)
Vox AC30
Laney VC 30
Orange Tiny Terror
Engl Thunder 50 (this one gets it because my mate describes Engls as Marshalls on steriods.
Marshall dsl (Yeah I know this is a Marshall, but, this did get a few mentions)

So what Amp will get me closest to the tone I am after??
If I have missed any, please feel free to add.

Play GNR, Velvet Revolver, ACDC, etc, etc. Play mostly in my room, but occasionally jam with my mates. Who know what will happen in the future.
Budget not gave this too much thought, but I know £700 is too much.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul - Slash signature x 2

Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3 delay
Slash signature
Korg pitch-black
MXR boost line driver
MXR tremolo

Marshall VM 2266
Marshall AFD100
Marshall 1936v 2x12
laney!s
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I thought the Traynor YCV was the best for marshally stuff.
Peavey Classics do a decent marshall tone, but I think the traynor would be better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
the VC 15 preamp circuit is about 8 component values different from that of a JCM800

i'd be inclined to go with the TT. as much as i love the VC. it might fall a TINY bit short in the gain dept. dont rule it out though. the cleans are awesome
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The best non-Marshall made Marshall is the Blankenship Variac (best modern plexi styled amp I've heard period, actually). But that's definitely not in your price range.

I'd imagine the Orange might be most suitable from that list.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
A Traynor YCV would be the best, though the Orange would be amazing, or a Ceriatone style clone.
Orange or Laney, says I.
Orange, I'm told, does Marshall better than Marshall does.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Traynor or Orange.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Waaaaaaaay out of your budget: Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 <--this thing will **** out a vintage Marshall

In you budget: Orange Rocker 30/Budda Superdrive 18
Quote by colin617
Waaaaaaaay out of your budget: Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 <--this thing will **** out a vintage Marshall

Quote for freakin truth!
My local store had one of these. It was slightly out of my budget, but it was one hot amp! I liked my CBB a bit more though, just on account of better cleans and low gain stuff. But, for anything more overdriven than that, I would have gotten the hot cat.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Best non Marshall heads I've heard doing the balls out Marshall sound on roids are the Roccaforte amps and Splawn amps. You can find them used under $1400 pretty easy, but I take it from the "£" that you're outside the US. They would be out of budget overseas probably. The Cameron CCV is easily one of the best non marshall Marshall sounding heads I've ever heard, but their availability is sketchy at best. Plus way out of budget.

That is only a fraction of the builders that design around the Marshall sound though. There are a TON of small boutique companies doing the lower wattage Marshall type clones. That, and several different amp kits from various vendors to build your own. Seems most of the small custom builders start out working with the Marshall circuit, or at least have one they build.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 31, 2008,
Check out the Matamp Little Rock, It's similar to the TT but a bit cheaper (IIRC) and it sounds a bit better.
Quote by Erock503
Best non Marshall heads I've heard doing the balls out Marshall sound on roids are the Roccaforte amps and Splawn amps. You can find them used under $1400 pretty easy, but I take it from the "£" that you're outside the US. They would be out of budget overseas probably. The Cameron CCV is easily one of the best non marshall Marshall sounding heads I've ever heard, but their availability is sketchy at best. Plus way out of budget.

That is only a fraction of the builders that design around the Marshall sound though. There are a TON of small boutique companies doing the lower wattage Marshall type clones. That, and several different amp kits from various vendors to build your own. Seems most of the small custom builders start out working with the Marshall circuit, or at least have one they build.

yeah, in the uk you can get an actual marshall cheaper than those ones (i'm aware they're better), in fact cheaper than a traynor ycv50, which is billed as the "poor man's marshall" in the US and canada, lol.

a cornell might be worth a look- they do some plexi style models, but might be too loud for bedroom use (though i think you can switch down the wattage). no master volume though, so might not be modern enough sounding...

other than that, maybe laney and orange...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i should add that i've only tried the cornell romany plus, which is their take on a fender tweed. assuming their marshall clones are of similar quality, they should be good. but i haven't personally tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, in the uk you can get an actual marshall cheaper than those ones (i'm aware they're better), in fact cheaper than a traynor ycv50, which is billed as the "poor man's marshall" in the US and canada, lol.

a cornell might be worth a look- they do some plexi style models, but might be too loud for bedroom use (though i think you can switch down the wattage). no master volume though, so might not be modern enough sounding...

hehe, yeah, quite a difference in prices. Traynor is better priced here for sure, Marshalls run right up into the boutique price range here.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ yeah, that's ridiculous, i really don't know why anyone would buy a new marshall in the USA... here they're almost the cheap option (well, not quite, but you know what i mean... mid-priced, certainly, apart from the hand-wired reissues)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just don't understand amp pricing at all really. I've conversed online with a guitarist who was lucky enough to own a Dumble Overdrive Special and he thinks that overall, a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme is a better amplifier. A Fuchs ODS isn't cheap at $4000+, but that's still alot less than a $15000 Dumble ODS. (I've never played a Fuchs or a Dumble, would love the opportunity though...)

Over here, Marshalls are reasonably priced, and you'll pay through your nose for a Mesa but in the states Marshalls are overpriced...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at May 31, 2008,
correct me if im wrong but i remember seeing slash using a rockerverb at one point. i saw a live cocnert and i saw a orange amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, that's ridiculous, i really don't know why anyone would buy a new marshall in the USA... here they're almost the cheap option (well, not quite, but you know what i mean... mid-priced, certainly, apart from the hand-wired reissues)...

I'll fill ya in to the american buying marshalls issue.... They buy them here because of the name... Much like the MG's and anything else Marshall has there name on... People will pay anything just to say they own one. Example one of my buddys that has been gigging for 18 years once told me dude if you get a marshall it doesnt matter what the hell it is or sounds like if someone sees the marshall logo they swear its good even if its the nastiest thing they have ever heard.
Geewiz thanks for this valuable observation batman!

Quote by IbanezPsycho
I'll fill ya in to the american buying marshalls issue.... They buy them here because of the name... Much like the MG's and anything else Marshall has there name on... People will pay anything just to say they own one. Example one of my buddys that has been gigging for 18 years once told me dude if you get a marshall it doesnt matter what the hell it is or sounds like if someone sees the marshall logo they swear its good even if its the nastiest thing they have ever heard.
Yes I am in the UK,

Here is the current prices taking from GAK

Peavey Classic 30 - £385 combo
- £379 head

Orange Rocker 30 - £614 combo
- £565 head

Vox AC30 CC2 - £549

Laney VC30 - £374

Orange Tiny Terror head -£298

Engl Thunder 50 head - £599

Marshall DSL 50 head - £549
Marshal DSL 401 combo - £475

No listings for the Traynor at all.

How does this effect everyone's opinion?

Thanks
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul - Slash signature x 2

Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3 delay
Slash signature
Korg pitch-black
MXR boost line driver
MXR tremolo

Marshall VM 2266
Marshall AFD100
Marshall 1936v 2x12
Quote by Stan v Slash
Yes I am in the UK,

Peavey Classic 30 - £385 combo
- £379 head

Orange Rocker 30 - £614 combo
- £565 head

Vox AC30 CC2 - £549

Laney VC30 - £374

Orange Tiny Terror head -£298

Engl Thunder 50 head - £599

Marshall DSL 50 head - £549

No listings for the Traynor at all.

Thanks

My vote still goes to a used Laney AOR. They pop up on ebay a lot.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Dave_Mc

There's a Cornell Mini Plexi on eBay right now for about £600.
Judging by Erock's clips. I'm so very tempted to say Splawn haha.
When it comes to british voiced amps, I don't really have much of a clue what I'm on about though.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I just don't understand amp pricing at all really. I've conversed online with a guitarist who was lucky enough to own a Dumble Overdrive Special and he thinks that overall, a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme is a better amplifier. A Fuchs ODS isn't cheap at $4000+, but that's still alot less than a $15000 Dumble ODS. (I've never played a Fuchs or a Dumble, would love the opportunity though...)

Over here, Marshalls are reasonably priced, and you'll pay through your nose for a Mesa but in the states Marshalls are overpriced...

it's just capitalism, really. price is set by the market... and most people who play guitar (those who set the prices, in other words) are noobs and/or influenced too much (in my opinion) by brand name.

not much you can do. except laugh when you have a much nicer amp for less cash...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IbanezPsycho

sounds about right...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I like Laney AOR Pro Tubes for a JCM800 sound. Nice and cheap too.

+1, I got mine for well under $300, and that's a semi-vintage tube amp made in England.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
get a ceriatone, they're marshall clones

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Splawn Quickrod. It ****ing rocks.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I have to say Rocker 30. I haven't tried the Traynor personally, but using the Slash settings in the Settings thread, the Rocker sounds so similar to GN'R era Slash.
Ben
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Splawn Quickrod. It ****ing rocks.

probably, but they're as rare as hens' teeth here... plus i can't see him getting one under budget, even used...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gsaws
I hear good things about the Traynor YCV50 Blue.

Now that I own one, I can honestly agree fully with that.
Quote by Stan v Slash
Yes I am in the UK,

Thanks

http://www.imusician.co.uk/musicstore/s4268/0/Guitar-Amps/MARSHALL/Marshall-DSL401-Dual-Super-Lead-Valve-1x12-40W-Combo-Amp/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=2&CatId=165&comp=y

£387.95

ordered from them before, great service. Im not suggesting that amp, i dont have any experience with them, but thought you might find a near £100 reduction interesting..
Isn't the peavey windsor supposed to be basically a JCM800 clone? That's what i heard, but then again, i've never heard or played the amp so i don't know...

it is certainly cheap though - £299 on GAK
Adam
Page 1 of 2