Page 1 of 2
Heya there guys, im thinking of purchasing a jackson soloist. And being lefty they seem pretty easily available. Now bear in mind im only 15 so money IS an issue. Now i want a a guitar which is bloody versatile and will go from anything from soft blues, jazz and vintage rock up to megadeth/pantera levels of distortion. With the low grind mids of sabbath. and thick fluid leads of gary moore in between. Now I know you will say upgrade amp, but I really want a new guitar first before i upgrade to an ENGL blackmore next year. Im just wondering which soloist you guys would recommend... the Sl3, Sl2h or sl1.

I heard that the SL3 is brilliant but not quite a match for the SL1. And I havent heard much about the Sl2H, so please give feedback, and tell me if with a HH config it would be versatile enough for coil splits and a mid booster to cope with single coil twang, and nastalgic david gilmour neck pickup sounds such as comfortably numb. I basically want a guitar which I will not then play another guitar a few years down the line and want it. I want a guitar which will set me up 10+, unless its something completely different for another style such as a hollowbody. Anyway cheers guys, and would really like to hear your views on the Sl2H, and is it a match for the Sl1. Also bear in mind if i got the SL1/Sl3 i would almost certainly put a minibucker in the neck, so i would only be using the neck pups coil split, or middle pup for single coil sounds. And when i say single coil sounds im more found of the neck pup sound, with light overdrive. But find it to scratchy when using high gain and want something more fluid and ballsy such as a humbucker.

Things to bear in mind.... I will almost certainly get bareknuckle pickups installed, and have a coil split, and mid boost installed. Ok guys thanks alot for the help
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Last edited by Varkunus at May 31, 2008,
its a marshall dsl401. I know its not immense, but its not terrible either. Its good enough for now. I mean it gets most of the tones i need besides sparkly fender cleans, and huge low end like mesa. But i feel if i stick some bareknuckle pigs in then it will balls it up somewhat anyway.
Also my current guitar is an iommi SG epi
wow i was expecting some solid state lol. i would go with the hh or hsh config. mainly because im not a single coil guy. but the coil split sounds like a good idea to go with.
The SL2H is the same guitar as the SL1, except that the SL2 is a HH config soloist, and the SL1 is a HSS.
Bear in mind that the SL2 has a '59 2-conductor pickup, that you cant split (you need a 4 conductor). So you might want to change the neckpickup.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
well like i said a bareknuckle cold sweat would go in neck most probs. Anyway so Sl1/Sl3 vs Sl2h. Whats more versatile two split humbuckers or humbucker, single coil and minihumbucker (neck). ANd would a mini humbucker give as fuller sound as a true humbucker?
why have only 6 people viewed this thread was the title not interesting enough? Anyway back to topic....
Imo your better off with the 2 hummies. For the reason that you cant let a single coil sound like a humbucker, but you can let a humbucker sound like a SC. Plus, the middle SC in the SL1 is right into the position where i pick, and thats really annoying. You might not have that problem, but i know that ALOT of people have it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
hhhm i dont with usually with fenders and such. Anyway will a minibucker sound nearly as good as a true bucker?
Dunno, never tried them.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
what not even like a hotrail? Anyway whats more versatile and anyone know the cheapest place to buy a sl2h lefty\?
About the single coiled sized humbuckers, I've a set of Hotrails in my strat, through a .022 microfarad capacitor they sound almost like a true humbucker, but with a .047 capacitor they'll sound more like singlecoils, I'm running them through both, switchably.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Varkunus
what not even like a hotrail? Anyway whats more versatile and anyone know the cheapest place to buy a sl2h lefty\?
ebay
I dont think you will find alot of leftie soloists on ebay though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
any online stores?
Quote by Varkunus
Heya there guys, im thinking of purchasing a jackson soloist. And being lefty they seem pretty easily available.

i thought you knew a place where to buy one...

EDIT: found one, but its a SL1
http://www.copystars.com/jackson_usa_sl1_soloist_left_29481_prd1.htm
not cheap though.

EDIT:
found it! you lucky bastard... You know, google has alot of answers. Go figure it out!
http://www.bizrate.com/guitarbass/oid746244449.html
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 31, 2008,
and the sl1h and sl3
SL1H doesnt exist. Its SL1 and SL2H
Look at my second edit
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
sorry i meant sl2h typo
also i heard the SL1 and 3s have painted necks, where as the Sl2H doesnt, are there any other differences? And how do these affect the playability
guys i can see its getting views, and im off to bed now so a bumping for our american buddies. Cheers guys
You do notice that you're comparing the SL3 with the USA Soloists right? If you want to save some money, the SL3 is basically the same thing as the SL1, except without MOP inlays/logo and binding, and of course quality. But it only costs half as much as the SL1. And the only difference with the SL2H are the pickups (HH)....

I'm pretty sure all USA Jackson's that are neck-through have painted necks. In my experience, painted necks do feel a bit sticky and slow you down a bit, but that's something you'll just have to get used to. If you want something that'll last you a long time like you said..just get the SL1...HSS config is pretty versatile.
SL2H has a paited neck too.
And its not more expensive then a SL1. Same price range.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
SL2H is made in USA (better quality control and craftmanship), has an ebony fretboard, pearle inlays and logo, has a real maple top instead of maple veneer, has a OFR and is made of better wood.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
SL2H is made in USA (better quality control and craftmanship), has an ebony fretboard, pearle inlays and logo, has a real maple top instead of maple veneer, has a OFR and is made of better wood.

that doesnt mean its a much better guitar. just change the tremolo of the sl3 and you have an sl1. also the maple top is pretty much mostly on cosmetic, the main thing is that they are both made of alder
The maple top really does influence the sound. That is undeniable. And changing than you still have the fact of the better woods used in the USA guitars, and the ebony top (which i prefer personally).
I agree, the SL3 is a very good instrument, but the USA soloists are better instruments. Its all up to the buyer to decide if it all is worth the extra money.
Actually, imo, if you have the money to buy a SL3 new, you should better save up 100 more and buy a SL2 or SL1 second hand. That is the best way imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
The maple top really does influence the sound. That is undeniable. And changing than you still have the fact of the better woods used in the USA guitars, and the ebony top (which i prefer personally).
I agree, the SL3 is a very good instrument, but the USA soloists are better instruments. Its all up to the buyer to decide if it all is worth the extra money.
Actually, imo, if you have the money to buy a SL3 new, you should better save up 100 more and buy a SL2 or SL1 second hand. That is the best way imo.

i have never seen either of those go for 1300$ but if he did find it, he would be quite lucky. also the rosewood/ebony is a preference, except you dont have to take as much care of the bony as you do the rosewood which is a plus
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
yh but not lefty!!!! Anyway the SL3 has a OFR if its post 2006. And whats more versatile HH or HSS bearing in mind with the HSS the neck pup would be a minibucker anyway. And i heard the jackson soloist necks are some off the smoothest, and butterist in the business. Quite alot of people prefer the finish of them over the wizards. Anyway what would you guys recommend? SL3, SL1, or Sl2H
Its not an OFR, its a FRT-O2000. Thats another floyd rose than the OFR. But it is a Floyd.
And i already answered the 'versatility question' about a hundred times in this and your other topic. Im not going to answer it again. Just read again.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

they still have a few days left. the price will go above 1300.

also to Varkanus sl3's have licensed LFR's if they are post 2006 and they are designed after the original low pro tremolo. pre 2006 i think they can with something else.mine was made before 2006 so it comes with something else. it might be the original low pro tremolo
^these are buy now prices. So no biddings there (except the second one)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
oh i didnt notice the buy it now prices. whatever, i doesnt really matter which he gets because they are all very good guitars except for the slsmg(hate the headstock)
why not get a dinky?? they seem to be a lot cheaper, although i'v never played one so i dont know wat the're like

just a suggestion
Well i was asking around and everyone was saying on the specs it says 0200, but apparently in real life it has official floyd rose stamped on the trem. Maybe you guys who have played/own an Sl3 could clear this issue up. And ive looked at the Dinkys but dont particularily like them, and would prefer neck through construction due to the sustain lost by having a routed trem might be made up some what by neck thru..

Anyway the question of versatility was aimed at the HSS vs HH war. Bearing in mind in the HS(S) the (S) would be a mini humbucker. Thanks for all your help so far guys, been really helping for when i go to the store, and possibly buy
so whats the difference between an original floyd rose and an official floyd rose and which is better?
Page 1 of 2