I play in a pop-punk band, and im the one who is responsible for writing and composing all of our songs. However, i can never seem to make good guitar chord progressions that actually sound good. And when i do, i can never turn them into an actual song. What are some tips you can give me for composing pop-punk?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
ii and iii are good too.

Learn some stuff about chord progressions and you shouldn't have a problem. There's heaps hanging around on this site.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^ +1 really just pick a couple chords and bang'em out, maybe throw in an extra chord and play'em in a different order with a different rhythm and you've just made a verse and chorus.
^ +2

4-4 song pick 4 chords strumm however you want change the order of those 4 and theres your chorus add in some whining vocals there you go
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
You're the only one responsible for writing? No one else contributes? Personally, I'd just get out of that band and find people who are more committed to what they're doing.
Quote by :-D
You're the only one responsible for writing? No one else contributes? Personally, I'd just get out of that band and find people who are more committed to what they're doing.

This.

But for writing, mess about with some power chords and you'll find something that sounds cool. Do something cool with the rhythm, add lyrics, and Bob's your uncle.
Sometimes its good to have one songwriter in the band. Among other things, it avoids powerplays. And if the other guys are happy to play the songs I don't see a problem.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Sometimes its good to have one songwriter in the band. Among other things, it avoids powerplays. And if the other guys are happy to play the songs I don't see a problem.

The way he wrote it made it seem like this was just a job thrown on him, and that the other members aren't contributing to the songs. Those would be the two problems I would have.

If it was just a situation in which they felt it was best for the band then that's obviously fine.

Thanks for the jam rating by the way.
hmm. Pop-Punk always makes me think as Avril Lavinge and Fall Out Boy.
check out how they put songs together.

usually a few power chords with a little riff thrown in with a catchy chorus and story-telling like verse which usually make no sense.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
hmm. Pop-Punk always makes me think as Avril Lavinge and Fall Out Boy.
check out how they put songs together.

usually a few power chords with a little riff thrown in with a catchy chorus and story-telling like verse which usually make no sense.

Those are really more pop rock bands.

You will notice many pop punk bands have the progressions VI-IV-I-V, I-V-VI-IV and I-IV-V. I'd try and be a bit more varied than that though, but for a quick fix to a part of a song, or a nice catchy break, those work. Power chords are your weapon of choice really, barre chords can be good sometimes too. Never be afraid of simplicity, a long as its catchy.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.